Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases!

I Adore Film Noir

A-List Customer
7325146196_07cf6f0425_c.jpg

This lovely (50s?) hat from an antique mall. I saw it originally on display in a booth during a sale and passed it up. I regretted it and went back the following weekend to find it was gone so I went home kicking myself thinking some other lucky gal had snatched it up. About three weeks later we hit up the store again during a sale and it was back on display! So I bought it and plan on wearing it to a friends wedding. There are only a couple small, pin sized holes in the organza, but it is stained all over the material and on the satin and velvet rose. It looks like water stains. Anyone have some tips on how to clean it? The hat itself is straw so I don't want to shrink it or mishape it. I also don't know how best to wear it? Straight across on top? Tilted to the side and over the eye a little?

7325159590_b8710518df_c.jpg

7325162270_eac8f90c00_c.jpg

Lovely hat but I don't think the white rose can be saved. I'd get a new one.

You should post your pics on the Hat board, the men over there are experts in cleaning and caring for hats.

Retro_GI_Jane

One of the Regulars
Thanks, ladies for the advice. I think Katinka is right about wearing it straight on the head; if I try to place it near the back for a halo effect, it doesn't look quite "right" as the brim is pinched in four equal places, giving more of a high oval shape rather than round. I'll keep researching!

I Adore, I'm curious as to why you think the rose needs to come off? My camera flash washed out the color but it's a pale green with the tips tinted darker. For a hat like this, the adornments are impeccable compared to what I've seen...no "wilting", crushed or fraying. It just has a couple dark spots from water. It just lloks like someone wore it in the rain and placed it back in a box and forgot about it.

I Adore Film Noir

A-List Customer
Thanks, ladies for the advice. I think Katinka is right about wearing it straight on the head; if I try to place it near the back for a halo effect, it doesn't look quite "right" as the brim is pinched in four equal places, giving more of a high oval shape rather than round. I'll keep researching!

I Adore, I'm curious as to why you think the rose needs to come off? My camera flash washed out the color but it's a pale green with the tips tinted darker. For a hat like this, the adornments are impeccable compared to what I've seen...no "wilting", crushed or fraying. It just has a couple dark spots from water. It just lloks like someone wore it in the rain and placed it back in a box and forgot about it.

The camera doesn't do it justice. When you rescue it, I'd love to see a picture of you wearing the hat.

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
Very nice find! I think it´s from the 40s and supposed to be worn on top of the head like this. Maybe even a bit on the back of your head like the girl on the left in this picture does. But I have no idea what to do about the stains :(

Edit: maaaaan, hats and heads, very confusing :D

I concur about the straight-on-your-head thing. I have a similarly-shaped hat and I'm pretty sure that's how they would have been most fashionably worn in the 50s. I know that when I place it back on my head it doesn't look right - the crown is too shallow - but you could probably wear it tilted too, though that'd look more 40s, IMO. Beautiful hat tho, and do keep the rose! :)

Tatum

Practically Family
Found these paperdolls in our local DAV. They aren't vintage (they were printed in 1999). From left to right: Rita Hayworth, Gene Tierney, and Lana Turner. Gene was sitting on top behind glass and I couldn't see the others but I recognized her immediately and knew the others would be just as neat! I wasn't disappointed!

7325146196_07cf6f0425_c.jpg

The hubby just picked up a whole box of vintage ones for me while on a trip. They are beat but so cute, i guess they were well loved! I plan to frame them between glass panes and display them in my dressing room! I'll have to snap a pic.

swinggal

One Too Many
Yup, I actually used an equivalent to Oxiclean. Not sure why I said Napisan. Similar but not quite the same :) Any of the Napisans with enzymes I never use anyway, only the ones with oxygen cleaning power. Enzyme cleaners tend to eat rust and organic stains away. Found that out the hard way years ago :) Such a shame that we can get Oxiclean in Oz anymore. It's such a great product and I used to soak out all the stains on just about every vintage item I had years ago with amazing results. Might have get some sent over ;P

Tatum

Practically Family
Where have you been woman! :p

Hiding. Had a busy spring with work then got in a nasty car accident... Haven't felt vintage much. I can't set my hair because I can't sleep on it without dorking up my neck. So, I've had to get half decent with heated tools, which I scoffed at for years (mostly because I don't want the damage). I've also let my hair get really long, so it takes days to dry....

But I managed to snap a few pics of some of the paper dolls. These are just a few, they filled a shirt box. Most are celebrities, their owner even wrote who they were on the back (a few are really obscure). Many are missing hands and/or feet, but they still make me smile!

20120611-224331-e1339469456729.jpg

20120611-224254-e1339469492233.jpg

20120611-224124-e1339469552356.jpg

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
I found this peach of a late '30s/'40s hostess gown for $6. Just when I was starting to think the thrift stores had run dry... :)

fox2.jpg

fox3.jpg

The label is "G. Fox and Co.". It feels silky, but I think it's a synthetic... nylon?

fox1.jpg

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
You're so lucky, RodeoRose, its beautiful! :) I would love a hostess gown...

This was a gift, but I'm so pleased with it I had to share:

Halterjpg.jpg

From Vivien of Hollway - My favourite! I've got one in black too!

(Psst, Miss Golightly, your inbox is full.)

Last edited:

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
You look lovely C-dot - it suits you to a t! I'm not sure if I said it to you before but you really remind me of Bild Lilli (I'm sure you've heard that loads of times!!!!!!)....

ariellah

New in Town
yesterday, I won the ebay-auction on this beautiful black dress from the 40s. It has exactily my measurements (which is very unusual), so I'm sure it will fit perfectly :) I hope it will arrive soon, because sometimes the shipping to europe takes very long.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112