Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases!

poggleberry

One of the Regulars
Kate O Potato I've just looked on the V&A site, what a lovely dress, have you got long to wait for it?
They have some lovely items, I particularly love the hankies and sun hats.

Kate O Potato

A-List Customer
poggleberry said:
Kate O Potato I've just looked on the V&A site, what a lovely dress, have you got long to wait for it?
They have some lovely items, I particularly love the hankies and sun hats.

Hi hi! The V&A say it'll be ready in two weeks, which isn't too bad. The frustrating thing is that they don't specify the waist/hip/bust measurements, so I had to take a stab at which size would fit best. I'll post a picture when it's ready!

MaryMary

One of the Regulars
Holey moley the V&A makes dresses??? Okay, this was information I should have NEVER found out...haha

I used to live in England, but before I did, on my first vacation I discovered a book on fashion throughout history at the V&A. I just HAD to have it...despite it being about 10 pounds in weight...I carried that darn book all over London that day - it was like having a child!

Now that I live back in Toronto, I seem to never find these amazing discoveries like everyone else and am a tad jealous - but then just last week I DID spot these adorable red 1940's shoes in my local vintage shop. In my size....8 1/2!!! :eusa_clap This never happens!

1940sredshoes.jpg

texasgirl

One Too Many
A new 40s tilt hat, mislabled as pillbox and only $15! It's neat how the wire around the back is kind of like a spring and stays right on your head- pretty ingenious :)

il_fullxfull_124624468.jpg
il_fullxfull_124624642.jpg

MaryMary

One of the Regulars
sixsexsix said:
MaryMary try Gadabout on Queen E - they have a great selection of vintage shoes ;)

I have meaning to go to Gadabout for ages!! I always end up going to Kensington Market, and I would love to know your opinion, but I find it a little overrated. There's a lot more 70's and 80's stuff I have noticed, and when you find a great item, they are really high prices, and I know I can find something similar on ebay for less. (Which is too bad because I really prefer to support the small businesses in Toronto, and not have to pay duty!)

I will check out Gadabout - thanks :)

amygeorgina

New in Town
I bought a dress like this on eBay last year. http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=3223810 except mine doesn't have the cream sash. I was wondering, do you think I'd be able to add some angel style sleeves to it and would it make it more era appropriate? It has a lovely full skirt on it and last year I just wore it with a black bolero, but I don't know how 'right' it actually is. What do you reckon? [huh]

Smuterella

One Too Many
^ I think angel sleeves would risk giving you more of a 70's look. I like it sleeveless, its kind of subtley fifties.

Kamikat - I am so jealous - do let me know how you get along with them!

amygeorgina

New in Town
Smuterella said:
^ I think angel sleeves would risk giving you more of a 70's look. I like it sleeveless, its kind of subtley fifties.

Yes, you are probably right, I saw a WWII Dance dress on 'Big Beautiful Barbara Brown' that had sort of flappy sleeves but it had a sweetheart neck on it so I guess might not work with this.

I probably need like puff sleeves right?

Kate O Potato

A-List Customer
I've just had a capelet arrive from Able Grable. I was kindly sent an extra clasp in case I wanted to change it too. Why are vintage ladies all so lovely? I've never encountered such a kind and supportive group of women before! Reading your posts to each other makes me smile so much :)

Anyway, the capelet!

P100423_171703.jpg

Suggestions for styling my hair would be appreciated too! I have an appointment with a retro hair stylist next week (Miss Betty at It's Something Hells in Carnaby, if anyone is familiar with the salon) and I need ideas of what to ask her for. My hair is the length you see, very fine and extremely straight. I'm having my hair styled for a night at the theatre on my birthday and I'm really stuck for ideas because of the length... Thanks ladies xx

sixsexsix

Practically Family
MaryMary said:
I have meaning to go to Gadabout for ages!! I always end up going to Kensington Market, and I would love to know your opinion, but I find it a little overrated. There's a lot more 70's and 80's stuff I have noticed, and when you find a great item, they are really high prices, and I know I can find something similar on ebay for less. (Which is too bad because I really prefer to support the small businesses in Toronto, and not have to pay duty!)

I will check out Gadabout - thanks :)

There are a couple places in Kensington that are good - King of Kensington is probably my fave. Cabaret on Queen W has a great, well picked selection, but you're going to be paying more. Check out their basement though where you can usually find good deals. Stella Luna on Queen W near Roncesvalles is also pretty good, and if you're looking for something specific just ask and they might have it in the back (I got some great 40s pumps for about $30 this way). Gadabout is great, not super cheap, but the store is jam packed with awesome stuff. I've also found ok stuff at Bungalow in Kensington Market.

Other than those, most the vintage shops sell 70s stuff now, so you really have to hunt. Good luck!

swinggal

One Too Many
CherryRed said:
Fabulous hats!
I got a new vanity chair and a pattern.
The chair needs to have it's seat recovered but I love it!
4546083940_32888150bc.jpg

4545451295_f63658508d.jpg

The original fabric on that chair is amazing! Try and salvage it if you can. It reminds me of my grandparents 1930s sofa.

swinggal

One Too Many
I just bought this. I love the buttons and have a satin black shirt that is similar. This has a back belt as well to give it a lovely fitted look. I don't normally wear a lot of lighter colours but this is just so styish that I had to have it.

032010%20058.JPG

032010%20061.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters