Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Pyrex

MadelienneBlack

One of the Regulars
I've searched all over and as far as I can tell, there's no other Pyrex threads. But should I be wrong, please let me know.

My grandmother and mother use Pyrex almost exclusively and ever since I was little I've loved the look and the style. Now that I'm living on my own, I found myself in need of some good mixing bowls. I headed off to a local flea market in search of whatever I could find, and wouldn't you know it, I came across a set of three yellow, white banded 1956 Pyrex mixing bowls. I bargained the man at the stand down to $15 for the set and went home a terribly happy camper.
pyrxsmyel1.jpg

(Imagine a stacking set of three.)

So, now that these bowls have become my new joys, I was wondering if anyone else shares the same love of Pyrex as I've recently discovered.

Pictures are always welcome!

-edit-

As I've recently just won matching mugs on ebay, I thought I'd post those too!
yellowpyrexmugs.jpg

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My mom had some pieces like that - white glass with yellow and green and blue and pink outside...but I went with the more vintage Fiestaware when it comes to non-metalic kitchenware.

It's one of those things the friends have learned to put up with. "You have TWENTY EIGHT place settings?" "Right." "Why 28?" "Because there are still other older, rarer colors I haven't found yet." They kid me about it, but some come in when we're having a big dinner party and stakeout the seats with the heretofore unseen "new" color, or I get calls asking to borrow platters or serving bowls when they have parties.

Bill Taylor

One of the Regulars
We have a huge collection of Pyrex cooking dishes, some inherited and some picked up at flea markets and thrift shops, but it is all the clear stuff. Lots of round bowls with lids, oblong shallow dishes in many sizes and the bread loaf dishes with lids, which are perfect for meatloaf cooking. Also several Pyrex measuring cups. We love it and use it all the time, even though some have a few small chips, especially some of the lids. The only thing better for cooking than Pyrex is cast iron, in my opinion.

My Mother bought a new set of Homer Laughlin Fiesta Ware in about 1937 or maybe 38. I think it had just been introduced about that time. I remember so well how impressed I was with those dishes as they were so colorful and different from the usual china. We mostly used it for breakfast and Sunday night supper. We had a good many place settings (there were quite a few of us at the table), so there were some repeats of the colors. We always mixed them up so everyone had each color at the place setting. One of my Sisters has what remains of the set, which is quite complete, considering that it is about 70 years old and was often used. I think originally, there were 12 place settings plus some extra platters, serving bowls and other serving pieces. I think it may have kind of pricey for the time as when my Mother got it, my Dad muttered something about we were on our way to the poorhouse. But then, he often said that. When I was a little kid, I once asked him if he knew how to get to the poorhouse, and he said, "no, but your Mother does". Which in retrospect, was very funny as my Mother was really, really frugal. Which brings to mind another of my Dad's "in jokes", which was "your Mother is not a gal with the fast buck". Even though frugal, my Mother always spent money like it was going out of style, even until she passed away in 2004 at 102 years old.

Bill Taylor.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Mike in Seattle said:
My mom had some pieces like that - white glass with yellow and green and blue and pink outside...but I went with the more vintage Fiestaware when it comes to non-metalic kitchenware.

All other things aside....while -most- of the Pyrex folks collect now is indeed 'younger' then fiestaware.......

I am going to be a horrible pedant and claim that calling it 'more vintage' is inaccurate as a generality.

The first pyrex cookware was released on the market in 1915.

"Durable and attractive, the new bakeware was soon produced in many shapes with various uses and became so popular that by 1919 more than 4 1/2 million pieces of PYREX bakeware had been sold. For that time in history, the numbers were staggering, especially considering that during the first few years of PYREX glassware's existence, America was deeply involved in World War I. By 1927, it was estimated that 30 million pieces of PYREX bakeware were in American homes. "

So yea....Fiestaware is the babe in arms...not the other way around... ;)

http://www.pyrexware.com/index.asp?pageId=91

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I collect the Blue Heaven pattern, and while not actually Pyrex but Fire King, it's the same idea. All of my Blue Heaven pieces (tons of plates, some bowls, platters, mugs, casserole dishes, custard ramekins) have been thrifted in MA and RI. I can't ever seem to find any of it in NY!

b8ab_1.JPG

fk-blueheaven-mug.jpg

Josephine

One Too Many
I have a set of the mixing bowls, where it descends in size from yellow, green, red, and blue. I also have an extra green and blue that I got for either both for a dollar or a dollar each.

I have too a rectangular brown baking dish (I think it is baking), that isn't very big, maybe 6" by 4 or 3". It might have had a lid at one time, I'm not sure where the lid is now.

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
I love Pyrex! It's just so darned practical- you can put it in the oven or the microwave or even on the stovetop. I've got so much I couldn't begin to photograph all of it, but here are my favorites:

Casserole dishes:
100_3172.jpg

This dish was my grandmother's- my mother says it was a wedding present, which would put it from 1939. I don't know if that's true, but I love the engraved lid.
100_3173.jpg

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
I have a few pieces of early clear light blue tinted Pyrex Flameware, including a frying pan, that my Grandmother bought back when it came out.

If my power ever comes back on here in Houston, I'll upload some photos. I'm on limited laptop power at present.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerryShaw