Show us your scarves ...

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Two Types, Oct 19, 2011.

1. DNO

DNO One Too Many

Being 6'1" I find a lot of scarves to be on the short side. For quite some time I've wanted a decent, long white silk scarf...goes so nicely with a black leather jacket...but I've only been able to find those little short things that tuxedo renters sell. The other day, however, I found one. It's got to be the biggest silk scarf I've run across: over a foot wide and six feet long. Its a thick white silk made by Toronto coat designer Hilary Radley. Might even be a woman's but who cares!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then the next day, I found a very long and wide tan or gold coloured English-made silk scarf.

[​IMG]

Not patterned scarves but I was pretty pleased to find them.

I spent some time getting most of the wrinkles out of all my scarves yesterday. Guess I should've taken new pics!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  2. Two Types

Two Types I'll Lock Up

Keep the photos coming ....

I like the white/cream silks. I am waiting to visit someone who has a sack of vintage scarves for sale. She tells me there are some 1940s monogrammed evening scarves. Here's hoping they have suitable letters for me!

On the subject of Canadian weather ... when we were in Toronto last summer it was 30 degrees. We were in BC six months earlier, and it was minus 30. It's good to see the extremes.

3. Hal

Hal Practically Family

I take it that by "coat" you mean overcoat, or perhaps raincoat (particularly when you mention fedoras and caps) rather than suit jacket or sports jacket. In some ways I see the scarf as having the same relationship to the outer coat as the tie to the jacket.
    Cooler climates should be celebrated - not only is it easier to regulate one's thermal comfort, but the clothes of the cooler seasons are more stylish and more psychologically satisfying to wear. I rather regret it when the time to discard the outer coat arrives.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  4. nihil

nihil One of the Regulars

Spring and autumn are my absolute favorite times of year. You can wear decent clothes, as it's neither too warm nor too cold. In summer I'm hard pressed to wear a proper suit for an extended period of time, as I'll end up perspire extensively.

5. TipTop

TipTop Practically Family

I just stumbled on this thread, after yesterday trying out a new western hat that I was unsure of. Well, what made me "sure" was the addition of a scarf in essentially the same color tone. It is a Robert Godley "Psycho Bunny" and his exclusive pattern is "motorcycle shop rag." Here it is under the 1970s 5X Stetson that I have to groom regularly.
    [​IMG]

And here is the detail of the scarf: http://www.psycho-bunny.com/servlet/the-805/Shop-Rag-Wool-Scarf/Detail

Another accident of good fortune.

6. DNO

DNO One Too Many

Gleaned today from thrift shops.

This one is Italian silk, judging from the label. Nice and long.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. DNO

DNO One Too Many

And another Italian one, silk and wool this time. Pretty funky...it's my first purple scarf!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Actually, I'm looking forward to wearing this one.

8. Two Types

Two Types I'll Lock Up

Keep it up, DNO! Seeing you posting all these new scarves reminds me I need to get out searching again.

9. Smithy

Smithy I'll Lock Up

I have an obsession with polka dot silk scarves due to my other obsession with the RAF in the Battle of Britain. I currently have:

- Silk with wool backing, navy blue with white polka dots
    - Silk with long tassles, wine red with white polka dots
    - Silk with long tassles, navy blue with white polka dots

I have a wool one in the Dress Stewart tartan which gets a fair bit of airing over the colder months, and a tremendously long white wool thing that gets a very occasional outing.

Will try to take a snap of my ones this evening.

...And if anyone knows where to obtain a silk tassled scarf in a forest green with white polka dots please let me know as I'm on the lookout for one.

Cheers and nice scarves everyone.

10. Two Types

Two Types I'll Lock Up

Try 'Peckham Rye': http://www.peckhamrye.com/category/product-category/scarves

They have a wide selection that keeps changing all the time. They took a large delivery a couple of weeks ago. Send them an email, if they don't have one maybe they will in the future.

Also try Darcy Clothing. They don't have green on the website but the shop might have one:
    http://www.darcyclothing.com/shop/accessories/spotted-silk-scarf-cr565.html

Good luck.

11. Smithy

Smithy I'll Lock Up

Many thanks Two Types I'll give them a try.

12. Spitfire

Spitfire I'll Lock Up

Two Types - this seems to be your turf, so allow me to pop a question: Where do I get hold of a striped silk scarf or cravat. Old school/regimental type - not the real thing - just so you get an idea of what I am looking for. Or are they called something else? Squares maybe...I have been trawling ebay etc, with no result.
    Something like this:
    [​IMG]

13. Two Types

Two Types I'll Lock Up

Here are a selection of my modern silk cravats, including some in the style you refer to:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are all by David Saxby:
    http://www.davidsaxby.co.uk/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=4&Itemid=2
    The picture on his website includes a couple in the style you are interested in. When I was last in the shop he had a couple of large boxes just filled with cravats in a multitude of styles. If you say you want something in a regimental/school style he will know exactly what you mean.
    I would recommend calling him and describing what you want. I am sure he will be able to help.

Good luck - and I'll be looking forward to seeing the results.

14. Spitfire

Spitfire I'll Lock Up

Thanks, will give them a call - going to London this weekend - so might even drop by. Keep you posted.

15. esteban68

esteban68 Call Me a Cab

Ok here's three I got recently;[​IMG]
    Not sure what this is made of...silk? but it's never been used[​IMG]
    next I think is manmade and has some light wear especially to the ends which may straighten out?it's got a slight 'knobbly' raised texture[​IMG]
    This 'Sammy' wool backed one again unused is the only one that's marked/labelled;[​IMG][​IMG]...all three were under a tenner(UK) so all decent buys I think...weathers warming up here (a bit) so might not get to wear em until next year:(

Nice cravats by the way might have to give him a ring myself!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  16. Two Types

Two Types I'll Lock Up

The red and blue one is in fantastic condition. It's quite unusual to see such a vivid blue. Very nice. I like the green one simply because it is nice to sometimes find a scarf that has been designed to be subtle, rather than vivid. Since scarves were often the only way for British men to show any real flashes of colour, it is unusual to see ones that are not designed to stand out.
    Well done. Good finds.
    It's nice to see more people posting in this thread.

17. DNO

DNO One Too Many

Nice finds esteban68...wish I could find a green one!

A quick shot of my latest thrift store find...silk/wool and West German made. Quite a nice scarf and it has a very rich shade of brown.

[​IMG]

18. DNO

DNO One Too Many

And a silk/wool maroon paisley by Christian Dior. Rather dislike wearing advertising, so I wear this one with the Dior thing facing my chest! I have a couple more Diors...nice quality but I wish he'd be more discreet with the labelling.

[​IMG]

19. DNO

DNO One Too Many

Found this silk/wool one today...$1.99! Not familiar with the label but it's a nice scarf.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. HodgePodge

HodgePodge One of the Regulars

[​IMG]

Tag for bottom left
    [​IMG]

Tag for bottom centre
    [​IMG]

Tag for bottom right
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tag for top left (top right has no tag)
    [​IMG]

The "Scardigan" is a curious one. Here it is worn...
    [​IMG]