Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your SHOES !!!

flyfishark

Practically Family
IMG_2669.jpg

Royal Navy shoes - a bit scuffed and stained, but just £15.

Two,

These look like the US Navy shoes compared to the Canadian Navy shoes. What the hell does Canada have the the UK and the US don't--besides taste? I feel I can say this, I own a pair of Bates US Naval Academy shoes. Based solely on the quality of shoes, in a war between the US and Canada, we'd lose in a second.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I shall have to look out for some Canadian Navy shoes. They sound good.

This pair seem to be cheap leather - but at least they have welted leather soles. They are made in Northampton, but they don't show the factory name.

Paul Roerich

"A List" Customer
This is for you, Ishi. Some Alan McAfee 'Oviatt Model / Oviatt Last' shoes made for "Oviatt's" haberdashery in the '50s.

(James Oviatt was the first American retailer to sell Alan McAfee footwear in the U.S.A., back in 1921. The design and appearance of McAfee 'Oviatt Model' shoes did not change from 1921 to 1966. Really.)

The two shoes at far left are suede/calfskin spectators.

IMG_1673_zps53b4a18d.jpg

IMG_1671_zpsafb45fc1.jpg

IMG_1674_zps402740b4.jpg

IMG_1676_zps21d28f50.jpg

Last edited:

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
I reckon so. The heel's rubber wedge has the Alan McAfee logo embossed on it.

I literally need to change my pants! Incredible row of Vintage Beauties... especially those 1st 2. Thanks for posting, and I hope you contribute again soon. They are awesome.

By the way, that's not a "McAfee" heel, as there's not really such a thing (at least not in this era). Those are made by Church's. In their heyday. Top Line 1950's Church's shoes! Stunning. Thank goodness you wear a 10, or I would be begging to do a trade.

cookie

I'll Lock Up

I have the black ones on the far right. A wonderful shoe made by Church I suspect with fine calf, high shine and a wonderfully comfortable last like the Edward Green 202 but more voluptuous in shape. I wear them all the time as a go to business shoe. I always thought they would be 1950s. Thanks for authenticating them.

Technically true, but the dovetail toplift (heel bottom) insert is generically known as a "McAfee Heel" regardless of shoe brand.

I think we have a new vintage shoe tragic on the FL.

Welcome aboard and keep 'em coming!

Last edited:

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
Technically true, but the dovetail toplift (heel bottom) insert is generically known as a "McAfee Heel" regardless of shoe brand.

Excellent tidbit of info here. Do you know the origin of this term? Did McAfee invent this type of heel when they were still making shoes in-house, and if so, around what year? Very interested and thanks for the great contributions!

Paul Roerich

"A List" Customer
Excellent tidbit of info here. Do you know the origin of this term? Did McAfee invent this type of heel when they were still making shoes in-house, and if so, around what year? Very interested and thanks for the great contributions!

I'll make an educated guess that you're right: McAfee invented this type of heel when they were still making shoes in-house. When they began to have other shoemakers do RTW for them, they instructed the shoemakers (Church's, etc.) to include the McAfee heel, which by then had become a McAfee signature detail.

Do you remember the deadstock Alan McAfee riding boots from 'Alexander & Oviatt' that Marc Chevalier posted a while back? Those were from the 1920s, and they had a McAfee heel...so we know that the heel existed back then, if not earlier.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
I'll make an educated guess that you're right: McAfee invented this type of heel when they were still making shoes in-house. When they began to have other shoemakers do RTW for them, they instructed the shoemakers (Church's, etc.) to include the McAfee heel, which by then had become a McAfee signature detail.

Do you remember the deadstock Alan McAfee riding boots from 'Alexander & Oviatt' that Marc Chevalier posted a while back? Those were from the 1920s, and they had a McAfee heel...so we know that the heel existed back then, if not earlier.

Excellent deductions. With so much of this Vintage info, there is no "book" or single source which answers all the questions. When one pays attention to all the info presented, they can make a good Educated Guess. Thanks.

ClaHH1957

Familiar Face
hello.
i am new here and need some help with dating some boots.
i would like to post pics but i was not allowed to or made mistakes - URLs wouldnt accepted too.

when i have to go to another section of the lounge - please tell me.
its about some (i think) 1900s - BRAND: The FOREMOST Shoe (never heard)

thanks

hello.
i would like to post pics but i was not allowed to or made mistakes - URLs wouldnt accepted too.

thanks
hi there remember when posting a picture to empty this box in my screenshop just click on the tick
VM

Image1-3.jpg

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
hello.

thanks

be sure to include pics of interior footbed, any writing on interior wall of boots and sole/heel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner