Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your SHOES !!!

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Shoes of interest seen in Suhkamvit road bangkok

8096817578_1aa4366551_c.jpg

Patrick what bootmaker has the best reputation in Bangkok these days?

The Shooman

Practically Family
l ended up ripping part of the shoo open and found that it wasn't handmade afterall. lt's blake-rapid construction. Had l known l would have never bought them. Never mind.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
l ended up ripping part of the shoo open and found that it wasn't handmade afterall. lt's blake-rapid construction. Had l known l would have never bought them. Never mind.

Shooey, ALWAYS to have you post! It takes GUTS to rip apart shoes, and you are the man who shows us the inner-workings. Without your endeavors, we would never know "what lies within" many of the shoes that look so good from afar. THANK YOU!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Humm...have to admit, you don't see a hitch hiking gator on someone's boot every day..(unless you are Crocodile Dundee)...lol! But it does take some talent on the maker of the boots and shoes, to be able to craft those, and I would presume they probably have a fairly high quality of workmanship.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.

These finally arrived, I am very happy with the color and style, snazzy looking for a plain toe shoe, they are not very light weight either, which is something that also impressed me. One of a few new shoes for this week......

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.

I love the heels on these NOS Mason Gunboats, and I like Gunboats in general as they are heavy made shoes, I was impressed that the O'Sullivan heel has some tid bit rubber hanging off the edges, that have not been worn off, sort of like a new car tire that still has some "nubs" on them! The inside of these shoes is very padded and air cushioned both, which will make them a dream to walk in.

Both pair of these shoes, the Mason and the "Zen's" are from the effort of my sweet Wife, she is always looking for something for me....I have a few more on the way in a day or two....

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.

I had sold these vintage towncrafts to a fellow Lounger last week, however when I prepped the shoes with the conditioner I use, I noticed the soles were feeling a bit thin or smoochey, (yeah mushy), so I requested to the buyer that I could go have my local cobbler put on a new sole (half sole) and wanted to make them be "right" before I ship them out! If you note, the local guy does a really decent job and look at how tight he sews the sole! He knew these were sold to a lounge member and knows my association with the lounge in general and respects that I wanted to fix these shoes before I shipped them off...so he more or less got these done fast for me.....I have so many pictures of his shop and wow, I will post some later but for now, these shoe soles speak for themselves.....weeeee haaaaa!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Amazing shoes!

Quick question, when it comes to vintage shoes, how can you tell? Is there a specific think to look for to tell the shoe is truly vintage?

I think it comes a bit from looking at pictures here and then knowing what is "vintage" based upon several factors. The "Zens" that I just posted about, are not quite vintage, but the model I just have is no longer made, and is NOS. The Town Craft shoes are no longer being made period, so that was easy for me when I first purchased them I knew they were vintage. The Mason Gunboats that was a easy thing as the heels are O'Sullivan and the tags and box they came in let me know they are from the late 1960's. My Wife actually found these shoes for me, and she knows enough to spot vintage and quality in a shoe or boot. When she finds something she goes after it and then tells me what is newly found. The heels and soles of a shoe may help show you that they are vintage when you look at a shoe, also some shoes are not made any longer, if you read about the names of shoes on this entire thread and think, are they still made today, do you see that particular brand any where today? When you can tell yourself, no...those are not made any longer, that is a helpful way to determine and a good place to start. Goodwill stores also more than not have people "dump" shoes that are vintage there fairly much, if you scout those stores you will eventually find a vintage pair of something...and then of course, you can go to eBay or Etsy. Several members here on the Lounge do some serious selling of Vintage shoes, and have some very beautiful shoes for sale.

Expect to spend some money if you buy something vintage that is near new or is NOS (New Old Stock) as those shoes have for the most part, been taken care of to the point where you will be able to use the shoes and enjoy them (unless you want to just collect vintage and not wear them at all).

Not all vintage shoes are better then what is made today, however, most of them are. The craftsmanship is more than likely better and the materials at times are amazing compared to what gets used by the "norm" today. Of course if you are in the mood to really have some special shoes, you can have some custom made for you. That can be a bit expensive but you would notice how nice they are and how much better they are from the "off the shelf" shoes you normally would buy. I hope I have helped a bit, there are sure more "experts" with shoes then me posting here, without a doubt!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy