Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your SHOES !!!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Isshinnryu,

11W

I would bet Isshy would have something really knock out nice for you, and you have that same not always easy to find size that I do..11 wide, (some medium "D's" will work but not always).....
Nothing wrong with the A.E.'s and if you can find them on sale, makes them all that more nicer.

I've often thought about getting a pair of those blue and brown specs (strawfoots) and stripping all the brown off of them and working on them for a few weeks preparing them for a color change, make the brown an ivory white. Would be a lot of work getting the leather to take the ivory white color, but those would really be such a sharp shoe then.

SteveAS

Practically Family
I just won some nice looking brown suede shoes on eBay. I hope they fit!

Can anyone tell me about the brand? I've never heard of Winthrop . . .

$T2eC16NHJFoE9nh6nPsGBRUe)HGBoQ~~60_57.JPG

$T2eC16RHJHoE9n3Ke9mrBRUe)(wHNQ~~60_57.JPG

$T2eC16dHJIIE9qTYLijbBRUe)iu0r!~~60_57.JPG

$T2eC16RHJIkE9qU3kWl+BRUe)oSUJw~~60_57.JPG

$T2eC16FHJGIE9nnWprVBBRUe)b,shQ~~60_57.JPG

$T2eC16hHJG!E9nm3s!5KBRUe)s51+!~~60_57.JPG

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
I just won some nice looking brown suede shoes on eBay. I hope they fit!

Can anyone tell me about the brand? I've never heard of Winthrop . . .

$T2eC16NHJFoE9nh6nPsGBRUe)HGBoQ~~60_57.JPG

$T2eC16RHJHoE9n3Ke9mrBRUe)(wHNQ~~60_57.JPG

$T2eC16dHJIIE9qTYLijbBRUe)iu0r!~~60_57.JPG

$T2eC16RHJIkE9qU3kWl+BRUe)oSUJw~~60_57.JPG

$T2eC16FHJGIE9nnWprVBBRUe)b,shQ~~60_57.JPG

$T2eC16hHJG!E9nm3s!5KBRUe)s51+!~~60_57.JPG

Nice Ones!
Winthrop was owned by International Shoe Co of St. Louis. Originally called Roberts, Johnson and Rand Shoe Company (the same Rand who started a different company earlier that owned Rand Shoes.) They also owned Weatherbird, Red Goose, & Poll Parrott. Some interesting kids' shoe companies. Winthrop was their mens' dress shoe, and it was pretty nice. Great Find!

cookie

I'll Lock Up
exactly correct, I'd say. probably early 50's, but could be very late 40's. Isn't it so very cool that vintage suede lasts so well?

That heel is 50s from memory and that shape too. I have a pair of 1940s Winthrop spade spectators = great shoes with amazingly little wear on them. The heels tell the story and the state of the stitching. The soles look polished from being used on carpet and a maybe 30? spins outside.

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I'm not entirely sure what I have here, but I know that I like them. Perhaps someone here can tell me more about them? Whether I got a deal or not, etc.

I bought these at a thrift-shop today for $8.00. They're Florsheim Outdoorsmans, that's about all I know. They fit, of course! Otherwise I would never have bought them. They're in, so far as I can tell, mint condition. I don't think they've ever been worn. Or if they were, then only for a very brief period of time. The outsoles are in PERFECT condition. No wear-down or abrasion anywhere.

Here are the photos:

IMG_0854-1_zpsc1070310.jpg

IMG_0855-1_zpsae6625df.jpg

IMG_0856_zpsecea5b83.jpg

So...

Shangas do good? *hopeful expression*

Last edited:

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Thanks for the compliment and the information, Issh! I'm guessing they're 1950s or possibly 1940s. Does that seem right?

The shoes are very nice to say the least! You can tell by merely seeing the pictures that they have been kept in good condition and they just SCREAM in the looks department. What a great find!

SteveAS

Practically Family
That heel is 50s from memory and that shape too. I have a pair of 1940s Winthrop spade spectators = great shoes with amazingly little wear on them. The heels tell the story and the state of the stitching. The soles look polished from being used on carpet and a maybe 30? spins outside.

Thanks for your thoughts on these, cookie.

can you fit an 8.5b? I do well with some 9b.

We shall see; I'm worried they'll be too narrow. The seller said the sole measures 4-1/4" across, so there's a reasonable chance they'll work for me. :pray:

The shoes are very nice to say the least! You can tell by merely seeing the pictures that they have been kept in good condition and they just SCREAM in the looks department. What a great find!

Thanks very much, LMH2!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Last mailing from The outlet store they also had brown and black pairs in by size.

I do own A.E. brand shoes, and they do have a fine quality in their own way, there is no doubt....I do however desire to know how much stock you own in their company? lol !!!!! They should just give you a PR job and some extra benefits like a few dozen free pairs of shoes!!!!!!! Oh I do say this in the very spirit of kindness and with a ear to ear smile to boot! (no pun intended with the "boot" word) LOL!

Any A.E. shoes I have purchase I've been lucky to grab a good deal on them, I do wish that there was a store or outlet near me, but fortune does not shadow my door for such....drats, so the sales many seem to be able to take advantage of, slip right on past me like a cat burglar at midnight! BUT...on the flip side of all that, I do seem to come up with all sorts of other shoe bargains.....weeeeeee haaaaaw!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
;)

Like when ur missus is snapping up all the top 11Ds for you I imagine?:D

True...but she is not always without some failure in the purchase department....the latest of my "collection" fits me, (Bostonian Footsavers Specs) however they are a bit larger than what I would normally wear...by more than one size! lol! I may keep them or I may see if I can trade them off...they are soooo darn nice.....I will have to post some pictures of them.....they were stored really well over the past 60 or 70 years, the leather was not really dry and although I treat each shoe the same way, conditioner wise, they did not drink up much and are really supple as it is....the white suede is flawless looking like snow...and the mid tan brown has no blemish,no cracks, no small dimples from any mistakes when the leather was tanned/colored, the insides are like new, there is no stains of age which at times you can find in some vintage. All in all, these are just like the day they were made....

However, the story does not end yet.....lol! She told me about an hour ago, she has two more shoe finds in the works....which means.....I will have to find a new storage space for what I have, or sell a pair or two off!
WEEEEEEEEEE Hawwwwwww!!!!

cookie

I'll Lock Up
True...but she is not always without some failure in the purchase department....the latest of my "collection" fits me, (Bostonian Footsavers Specs) however they are a bit larger than what I would normally wear...by more than one size! lol! I may keep them or I may see if I can trade them off...they are soooo darn nice.....I will have to post some pictures of them.....they were stored really well over the past 60 or 70 years, the leather was not really dry and although I treat each shoe the same way, conditioner wise, they did not drink up much and are really supple as it is....the white suede is flawless looking like snow...and the mid tan brown has no blemish,no cracks, no small dimples from any mistakes when the leather was tanned/colored, the insides are like new, there is no stains of age which at times you can find in some vintage. All in all, these are just like the day they were made....

However, the story does not end yet.....lol! She told me about an hour ago, she has two more shoe finds in the works....which means.....I will have to find a new storage space for what I have, or sell a pair or two off!
WEEEEEEEEEE Hawwwwwww!!!!

As they used to say...the picture tells the story.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou