Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your SHOES !!!

I am still so amazed that shoes from this time period, (and older as well) can be found and have never been worn yet!

You and me both! However, I remember hearing about two old shoe stores around here that had dead stock in the backroom that were over 60 years old and they just got left there because no one gave them a thought. When a local clothing store closed in the 80s, they had the same kind of inventory in the back. I wonder what happened to it all.
The one that killed me was when the local Chevy dealership pulled up a dumpster next tot he parts depqartment and literally threw away tons of brand new parts for 55-57 chevys "to make room for new parts." My friend worked there at the time but I found out later--too late.:eusa_doh::mad:

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
The candles are lit...love that 40s white stitching.

My latest ex Etsy 1940s Nettleton mild spades

Before

Speaking of Nettletons, I was moping around on the internet, and was totally shocked, Nettleton is still here and they make some very nice (a little pricey) looking shoes! Most of what they offer are selling for about $790.00 or so, but the quality is more than likely worth every penny. Check them out, do a google search and see for yourself!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
You and me both! However, I remember hearing about two old shoe stores around here that had dead stock in the backroom that were over 60 years old and they just got left there because no one gave them a thought. When a local clothing store closed in the 80s, they had the same kind of inventory in the back. I wonder what happened to it all.
The one that killed me was when the local Chevy dealership pulled up a dumpster next tot he parts depqartment and literally threw away tons of brand new parts for 55-57 chevys "to make room for new parts." My friend worked there at the time but I found out later--too late.:eusa_doh::mad:

Geez, what were they thinking? I've always wanted a 57 chevy, and they have been a popular car since they were first made! Good parts for those year cars would have been worth a decent amount of cash!

I always ask when ever I see some really old vintage shoes, hats, clothing, for a history if the person selling knows much about the items. I have two pairs of vintage shoes, one pair from Canada, from a store that was closed down. But I find more than not, the majority of really nice vintage shoes are picked up at a garage sale, then resold. I've found a few nice pairs myself that way. I do see a fairly decent amount of nice vintage for sale on line, but not many of them would fit me size wise. It is just something I ponder all the time, a pair of shoes, 70 or more years old and never worn yet!

To date, I have not been sorry about owning a decent pair of vintage shoes. They really are better made. I have a few I may sell, not due to anything being wrong with them, but to make room for other things as I have to make the most of what space I do have, and a few pairs are not going to be worn much at all!

Geez, what were they thinking? I've always wanted a 57 chevy, and they have been a popular car since they were first made! Good parts for those year cars would have been worth a decent amount of cash!

I always ask when ever I see some really old vintage shoes, hats, clothing, for a history if the person selling knows much about the items. I have two pairs of vintage shoes, one pair from Canada, from a store that was closed down. But I find more than not, the majority of really nice vintage shoes are picked up at a garage sale, then resold. I've found a few nice pairs myself that way. I do see a fairly decent amount of nice vintage for sale on line, but not many of them would fit me size wise. It is just something I ponder all the time, a pair of shoes, 70 or more years old and never worn yet!

To date, I have not been sorry about owning a decent pair of vintage shoes. They really are better made. I have a few I may sell, not due to anything being wrong with them, but to make room for other things as I have to make the most of what space I do have, and a few pairs are not going to be worn much at all!

Yeah the problem is that they weren't thinking.
One local cobbler has been around in the same spot for forever. They had some old stock in the backroom but when I saw the styles, I knew why. Some people like monk strap shoes but I am not one of them. :p

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Monk straps do not look right to me for some reason? I have seen maybe one or two pair (custom bespoke made) that I would have considered purchasing....I am not positive, but seeing a buckle on the front of a shoe always reminds me of two things...one; Pirate and two; Pilgrim. Oh wait, I forgot, Shirley Temple shoes! lol! Weeee haawwww! But I do think some people really like them, so I can't knock them too much.

Last edited:

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Monk straps do not look right to me for some reason? I have seen maybe one or two pair (custom bespoke made) that I would have considered purchasing....I am not positive, but seeing a buckle on the front of a shoe always reminds me of two things...one; Pirate and two; Pilgrim. Oh wait, I forgot, Shirley Temple shoes! lol! Weeee haawwww! But I do think some people really like them, so I can't knock them too much.

More cruelty. Those candles are burning like St Mary's Cathedral in Sydney.LOL

Isshi and I have discussed this issue for years. From memory he suggested that it was part of some old time retail model that they ended up in some "elephant's graveyard" out the back of the shop.

My theory from 55 years of watching American television shows is the "attic" that all these houses have which seems to be its very own "elephant's graveyard" until some day someone dies after living in there for 60 years and the "graveyard" becomes dispersed into a huge garage sale where shoe tragics like LoveMyHats2 and Mrs LoveMyHats2 congregate to find treasures to torment the less privileged candle burners!

Last edited:

phebus

One of the Regulars
After looking inside the shoe in a different lighting situation, I found out that these are Hanover shoes. I happened to buy these at the rescue mission about 10 miles away from Hanover.

-this is in response to my posts on the previous page!
Anyone have any Hanovers they would like to show off?

Last edited:

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
After looking inside the shoe in a different lighting situation, I found out that these are Hanover shoes. I happened to buy these at the rescue mission about 10 miles away from Hanover.

-this is in response to my posts on the previous page!
Anyone have any Hanovers they would like to show off?

Hanover is a good shoe! I have had a few pairs, gave a pair away not too long ago!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
More cruelty. Those candles are burning like St Mary's Cathedral in Sydney.LOL

Isshi and I have discussed this issue for years. From memory he suggested that it was part of some old time retail model that they ended up in some "elephant's graveyard" out the back of the shop.

My theory from 55 years of watching American television shows is the "attic" that all these houses have which seems to be its very own "elephant's graveyard" until some day someone dies after living in there for 60 years and the "graveyard" becomes dispersed into a huge garage sale where shoe tragics like LoveMyHats2 and Mrs LoveMyHats2 congregate to find treasures to torment the less privileged candle burners!

Well, the "attic" seems to be a true source for accounting of some of the vintage shoes, I know the Jarman shoes I recently picked up had to be in someone's attic for a long time, as dry as they were and even in a box, they had dust, rust on the metal shoe trees, and some minor issues from their not so good storage condition.

Most of the real treasure finds that have come my way, shoes, ties, suits, cufflinks, etc., my Wife has been the one to more or less, "zero" in on them and dispatch them from the sellers, to our home. I think she has some sort of "shopping radar" that I don't have! lol! But I also sort of bet, you have a fairly nice collection of goodies yourself!

It is very nice for me that my Wife cares to find me things, I do however occasionally purchase a nice strawberry pie (her favorite) as an act of thankfulness for her efforts! Not a bad trade off, a pie once in awhile for all the goodies she finds for me. I've often wondered what I would get, if I got her two or three pies at once?!?!

1930artdeco

Practically Family
Brand new Specs!

Hi All,

I was just in Norfolk yesterday and stumbled across these in the local Dillards. They are brand new with a soft rubber sole like a saddle shoe and are quite comfortable. Unfortunately, this is the only color they come in.

Mike

82b9796d-2eee-475f-8837-a8facba15f7f.jpg

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Hi All,

I was just in Norfolk yesterday and stumbled across these in the local Dillards. They are brand new with a soft rubber sole like a saddle shoe and are quite comfortable. Unfortunately, this is the only color they come in.

Mike

82b9796d-2eee-475f-8837-a8facba15f7f.jpg

I think the color combination looks fine. I have a pair of specs with about the same color combination.

Foxer55

A-List Customer
I posted about these very shoes a month ago. Bought them online at a discount because the come in wide width. Guy at the J&M told me they only came in medium but when I looked them up on the website, there they were in wide. Just sprayed them with fabric protector and polished them up over the weekend to get ready to wear. They are handsome and, at just over $100, worth the buy. Now, if I could only find a robust pair with hemp instead of linen and a full leather sole in wide for under $400 or $500 I'd be set.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
I posted about these very shoes a month ago. Bought them online at a discount because the come in wide width. Guy at the J&M told me they only came in medium but when I looked them up on the website, there they were in wide. Just sprayed them with fabric protector and polished them up over the weekend to get ready to wear. They are handsome and, at just over $100, worth the buy. Now, if I could only find a robust pair with hemp instead of linen and a full leather sole in wide for under $400 or $500 I'd be set.

What is your size?

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
You can pick up the Allen Edmonds Shawfut with mesh at the outlet stores for 150.00 dollars.
allenedmonds_shoes_strawfut_brown-navy_l.jpg

They also hat the linen model in stock at the same price. A better shoe than JM.

Last edited:

Foxer55

A-List Customer
Wise Hatter,

I would like to find them in the light color with brown although the ones you posted look good. Wonder what suit I would wear them with?

Foxer55

A-List Customer
Floey,

A brown or off white linen suit? Blazer and cream flannels? Look for inspiration in the Apparel Arts summer issues. You find them in the sticky of the suit forum.

No, no, I mean the navy and brown spectators just above. Oh wait, I know! Wear them with a poplin navy suit in the summer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveng183