Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your SHOES !!!

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
It' funny how the subconscious mind works. When you buy a red car you suddenly realize how many red cars there are. When you buy a new B-3 jacket you suddenly start to notice all the other B-3s out there. They were there before, sure, but you didn't notice. But now the subconscious starts helping you and pointing them out for you. Since buying my own pair of Copegs I suddenly notice how many of them are still around on Ebay.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
It' funny how the subconscious mind works. When you buy a red car you suddenly realize how many red cars there are. When you buy a new B-3 jacket you suddenly start to notice all the other B-3s out there. They were there before, sure, but you didn't notice. But now the subconscious starts helping you and pointing them out for you. Since buying my own pair of Copegs I suddenly notice how many of them are still around on Ebay.

The pegged waist is superior construction technique. No question about this. Only the best modern international makers employ this technique. However, the issue was that later copegs, while using the fabulous pegged waist, started using the inferior leather and wide sole stitching that infected US made shoes during the "downfall".

SteveAS

Practically Family
However, the issue was that later copegs, while using the fabulous pegged waist, started using the inferior leather and wide sole stitching that infected US made shoes during the "downfall".

I haven't yet started wearing these shoes because, while the leather is not dry, I'm giving them a few days with Pecard's preventatively, so I can't yet be certain the leather is of good quality, but it seems to be. The sole stitching on these is certainly closely spaced and they are generally very nicely made, so I hope Dr. Scholl saw fit to use use top quality leather, too.

1930artdeco

Practically Family
shoe polish and/or lexol

Hi All,

I thought I should ask this here before I go forth and restore some boots. I just bought a pair of 20's riding boots and they are dry and brittle. So, I here is what I was thinking about when it comes to bringing them back to life. 1) lexol the heck out of them and then use the black shoe polish. 2) Just use lots of black shoe polish on them. There is some light mold on them and then they need to be resoled and reheeled. Thoughts on which one is the best course of action? Oh, anyone know of a really go shoe repair person in the bay area?

Mike IMG_0037.jpg

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Hi All,

I thought I should ask this here before I go forth and restore some boots. I just bought a pair of 20's riding boots and they are dry and brittle. So, I here is what I was thinking about when it comes to bringing them back to life. 1) lexol the heck out of them and then use the black shoe polish. 2) Just use lots of black shoe polish on them. There is some light mold on them and then they need to be resoled and reheeled. Thoughts on which one is the best course of action? Oh, anyone know of a really go shoe repair person in the bay area?

Mike View attachment 3753

Pecards and keep using it for a month before wearing.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
Pecards and keep using it for a month before wearing.

This is the best course if you are determined to wear them. Cookie is a restoration genius and has done some great work. In all likelihood, 90 year old leather, once dried and brittle will never be "brought back to life". Be prepared to lose bits of leather in any area that flexes or bends.

1930artdeco

Practically Family
Hi Cookie,

Where do I get this stuff, what is it and how do I use it. I only plan to wear them occasionally and not rough house with them.

Mike

1930artdeco

Practically Family
Well thanks to Cookie, I ordered some Pecards and started using it on the boots that I bought. Boy does it make the leather come back to life. Well at least it brings it back so that I can wear them occasionally and not have them crack on me. It is great stuff. I did one boot and have the other left to do. Thanks again Cookie for the info.

Mike

SteveAS

Practically Family
A question for Pecards users: how do you get the excess Pecards off your shoes after it stops soaking in? I've used a terry towel, but I haven't been able to get all the excess off, so the leather remains sticky, attracts dust, and generally looks dull.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
A question for Pecards users: how do you get the excess Pecards off your shoes after it stops soaking in? I've used a terry towel, but I haven't been able to get all the excess off, so the leather remains sticky, attracts dust, and generally looks dull.

Polish with cream polish when it is done conditioning. Also, don't use pecards for every leather, best only for antique leather/ dry.

1930artdeco

Practically Family
Anyone know where to get 72" cotton laces for riding boots? Are cotton laces made any more? Or am I being to picky and I should just get brand new synthetic ones.

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran