Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your SHOES !!!

cookie

I'll Lock Up
DSCN3133.jpg

DSCN3140.jpg
Tomasso said:
I guess they don't wear brown wingtips in FL anymore; that must be the 20th pair you've scored.

Can't beat NOS!

Yeah no place for such sober stuff down in FLA - only room for One Stars...:D

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Tomasso said:
I guess they don't wear brown wingtips in FL anymore...

Yeah, I might be about the only one. :D

(But since these are a couple sizes too big, they'll be offered for sale...)

Y'know, I have an idea what may have happened with these. Imagine a fellow investing a good amount in a pair of Florsheims. He thinks so much of himself, he decides to take them up on the gold monogram initials to be embossed into the insteps. When he comes to pick them up and sees the sloppy job they did, he tells the proprietor to refund his purchase price and shove 'em. Eventually they end up at a thrift store.

Who knows, maybe someone with initials "E.D." will buy them and just have to suffer. :)

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Danny O', those look like high-end kicks. Trying to decide whether I like the more full toe portion but obviously well made. Very good color combo too. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I think it would be nice of you to add them to the spectator thread, if you are inclined, but thank you for sharing your Shoes with me here. :)

The Shooman

Practically Family
A cut and paste from Film Noir Buff forum.

Here’s a pair of vintage shoes l picked up last week. These are Packard shoes, an American company that went out of business in the late 50’s. Bruce Millar says the shoes were probably made in the 50’s, but could have been made as early as the 1940’s.

The shoes were designed in U.S.A but were made-in-Australia. This [to me] means that the shoes and lasts were designed in the U.S.A, and the lasts were probably made there as well. The actual shoe would have been made in Australia to save on costs; local wages were less than American counterparts and reliable leather could be sought locally at the time, so cartage costs could be slashed.

The shoes have: an all leather heel, canvass half lining, sole stitching to 14 spi (often double to that used as standard today). I’m not sure if they are handwelted; they don’t look it, but sometimes it’s hard to say (not all hand done insoles have dimples {contrary to popular i-gent belief}: if the shoes were made in the later part of the 50’s it is possible they are machine welted, but if they are 40’s, it is more likely to be hand welted. Machine welters came into Australia in the early 50’s and really started getting into full swing in the 1960’s.

I picked up this pair in person from someone locally (thanks to my mate `miester’ for the tip off): even the girl herself was wearing a vintage pair of black pebblegrain leatgher sole/heel brogues; she really knew how to rock the look with her big hat, crazy sun glasses and stylish outfit. She is a shoe fanatic.

Leather upper is only average quality as expected. Leather seemed in good condition upon initial inspection, but after a night of wearing them indoors afew fine cracks have appeared on the vamp of one shoe. If the cracks get worse, I’ll keep them as a trophy shoo. I’m glad l got them; only paid $66.00 and they fit really well. They actually fit better than most of my rtw shoes, they feel incredible.

Pics:
Packard1.jpg

Packard2.jpg

Packard4.jpg

Packard3.jpg

Packard6.jpg

Packard5.jpg

cookie

I'll Lock Up
The Shooman said:
Thanks for the tip Cookie. l'm glad l snagged the pair. :)

No worries...they need Pecards mate just to stop that problem increasing but it may only be surface. Just think of yourself as a newer version of Prince Charles:D ...they are 1950s I would say and look a little like a pair of 50s Florsheims I own.

The Shooman

Practically Family
cookie said:
No worries...they need Pecards mate just to stop that problem increasing but it may only be surface. Just think of yourself as a newer version of Prince Charles:D ...they are 1950s I would say and look a little like a pair of 50s Florsheims I own.

Bruce Millar says that the waist of the shoe is very 50's. The 40's waists were quite different; i'll post pics of some of my NOS 40's army shoes soon. l might even post my 30's shoes that l wore many many days to Uni, they were my grandfathers and fit me exactly.

Sorry l didn't P.M, it's full as usual. :mad:

cookie

I'll Lock Up
HarpPlayerGene said:
Then there's these NOS shell cordovans. Actually had to cough up two-digits. They also fit but I've been trying to make a rule to offer NOS stuff for sale rather than put it to use, so... ;)

DSCN3388.jpg

DSCN3400.jpg

That will take care of the rent...NOS Cordovans...what America used to make for its citizens...gotta get me me to FLA....muy rapido..:eek: :p :eusa_clap

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Stephane Kelian

Remember when Stephane Kelian was the trendiest shoemaker in Paris in the 90s?

The shoes incorporate a lot of the 1940s French toecap style and a mild spade sole. pretty funky for USD55

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Mr Vim said:
... a modern take on a classic shoe?

Yeah, I think you summed it up. Nice style and colors but the leather (?) looks flimsy and the stitching is lousy when seen up close. Real hard to find the real thing (vintage) of shoes like this, however, so it's good, I suppose, that someone offers a repro'. How much do they a$k for these? I'm curious. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails