Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your SHOES !!!

Harris HTM

One Too Many
My thought about Harris Tweed when touring Scotland: like the hot sauce they put that shit on everything.....but in my travels did not see a pair of shoes with Harris tweed inserts.....now that I might have purchased.
I knew that Cheaney made some nice boots with Harris tweed but I couldn't find a link... until today:
https://www.walkerslater.com/tweed-r-boot-navy
https://www.walkerslater.com/tweed-r-boot-green
Enjoy!
tweed_r_fabric_navy_angled_copy.jpg

tweed_r_fabric_walnut_angled.jpg

Harris HTM

One Too Many
I am obviously not familiar with this brand do you have an opinion? I might be inclined to order a pair.
Cheaney is one of the most famous Northamptonshire (the Mecca of British shoe manufacturing) brands. I've had only one pair of them in the past and I would place them almost at the same level as the standard series of Crockett and Jones. That means totally recommended. Maybe a bit hard to break-in keep in mind.
I see this is a special collaboration with Walker Slater. I don't see any reason why Cheaney shouldn't use their standard quality materials. Moreover I have bought twice from Walker Slater online (a pair of tweed trousers and a tweed suit) without any issues.
Keep us posted.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Spectators are a party on the feet.

i-sb3CM8j-M.jpg

I would like to introduce my Siegle Wingtip Oxford made by Alden especially for Ealdwine, Raliegh, NC. They are brown alpine grain and tan suede. The single leather sole, flat last and McAfee heel make it appear more sleek than other Alden wingtip oxfords.

i-J4gJkXR-M.jpg

i-nBdtvtK-M.jpg

Cheers and thanks for letting me share my new spectators, Eric -

GHT

I'll Lock Up
They are truly, magnificent shoes Eric, but good luck on keeping the suede section pristine. It's not easy, I can tell you from experience. Here's a couple of pairs that I have had for some years now, both in a style similar to yours, but these are all leather.

shoes 13.jpg
shoes 014.jpg

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
They are truly, magnificent shoes Eric, but good luck on keeping the suede section pristine. It's not easy, I can tell you from experience. Here's a couple of pairs that I have had for some years now, both in a style similar to yours, but these are all leather.

View attachment 357766 View attachment 357767

Thanks sir.

As to the suede my experience has been different in the difficulty in keeping the shoes clean. It has not been difficult.

My vintage suede shoes and my other pair of suede Alden wingtips have been shockingly easy to keep looking sharp. The two parts I care about are: (1) stains and water repellent (2) general upkeep and appearance.

(1) Stains: I have in the past sprayed the suede areas with Bickmore. (https://www.amazon.com/Bickmore-Gar...ocphy=9019663&hvtargid=pla-568298900576&psc=1)

i-snzNqQ8-M.jpg

It does require taping off leather areas and being cautious when spraying. I spray several coats while letting each light coat dry. How many? Many, perhaps 3 coats. After the spray water will just run off the suede area. I have dropped tomato sauce, beer and other liquids/solids and it has wiped off. Dirt does accumulate and a suede brush removes it. If mud appears I use the Saphir suede cleaner.

During the warm months I wear my white Alden bucks and they have the desirable "white" suede look going after lots of wears in real life conditions. When Cindy was on the forum/thread I was always impressed with the way she could bring suede back to a pristine state. Dirty/stained to nearly pristine. My bucks I wear with confidence that almost all stains can be wiped off and the others can be almost always be cleaned with the Saphir suede cleaner.

i-DMM9Vq8-M.jpg

(2) General appearance: Brushing with a suede brush is my normal pre-wear "brushing." I brush leather shoes before wearing and suede gets the same - different brush. My Alden green suede wingtips requires a lot less effort to maintain than their leather companions. The suede does not show many creases. If you do not enjoy creasing on your leather shoes, do consider suede.

I except that a lot of the above for you sir is things you have experienced or do.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
The finish on your Bucks is really impressive. I use KIWI Suede & Nubuck Waterproofer Spray as a protector but as for cleaning, these saddle shoes demonstrate the difficulty.
shoes 24.jpg
To keep the white, that is under the blue, clean, I tape masking tape over the holes before cleaning the blue suede. It's a palaver but it stops the white from getting discoloured.
You might want to look away for this next cleaning tip. When I bought the blue & white spectators I had no idea that the white, in such a prominent place, would show up the creases that occur naturally in leather. Creases fill with dust and airborne pollution, which shows up dramatically in white. The answer, are you still looking away? A dab of WD40 on a clean cloth works wonders, it might be heresy, but it's certainly enhanced those shoes.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
The finish on your Bucks is really impressive. I use KIWI Suede & Nubuck Waterproofer Spray as a protector but as for cleaning, these saddle shoes demonstrate the difficulty.
View attachment 357828
To keep the white, that is under the blue, clean, I tape masking tape over the holes before cleaning the blue suede. It's a palaver but it stops the white from getting discoloured.
You might want to look away for this next cleaning tip. When I bought the blue & white spectators I had no idea that the white, in such a prominent place, would show up the creases that occur naturally in leather. Creases fill with dust and airborne pollution, which shows up dramatically in white. The answer, are you still looking away? A dab of WD40 on a clean cloth works wonders, it might be heresy, but it's certainly enhanced those shoes.

Do not mess with something that works.

I have taken to brushing before and after wears. Habbit or working? I am not messing with actions that are working.

i-8ZWH3rP-M.jpg

BTW: I wore the Alden Seigel's this morning. Lovely shoe.

i-Xd5cDX2-M.jpg

i-4vJjRNd-M.jpg

i-9WMGQVq-M.jpg

i-bPrHQ67-M.jpg

i-2PZgnrW-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric -

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Those Alden Seigel's are a lovely pair of shoes, it's good to see someone who coordinates their socks, always a nice finishing touch.
Previously I mentioned the difficulty of cleaning a suede/leather mix, I have learned that leather/canvas is another combination that requires very careful cleaning.
004.JPG
These Cavani shoes are a leather/canvas combination, they go well with summer blazers and straw hats, I actually had this blazer in mind when I bought them.
new shoes 001.JPG

GHT

I'll Lock Up
oxfords2.jpg

These Oxfords are a striking colour, I bought them to compliment a wedding outfit that I wore, just one week before the lockdown. Whilst I love a brogue pattern, the contrast impacts between the green & cream is all these shoes need. At the wedding I teamed up a Blazer with a collar and tie, black trousers and a black fedora. But I think that these shoes would compliment a hat like this, much better.
Hat, Racing Green.jpg

It's on order and heading this way. My limited collection of hats are all the conventional: navy, grey, brown and black. Seeing some of the fabulous hats in the what hat thread, has inspired me to step outside the box. I shall look forward to Robin Hood and Lincoln green quips?

GHT

I'll Lock Up
@GHT I really wanted a pair but can't justify the cost given they're over $500 AUD. They look great.
Benny you might like these at a much more affordable price. My guess is that they are American because of the spelling of "color." They are not exactly like my SJC's but they do have a similar appeal.
Wingtip-Oxfords-1.jpeg
Wingtip-Oxfords-14.jpeg

Have a look at them on this link. You will see that they are a shade over £90. ($173.39 AUD) And for any Americans ($126.50 USD)

Last edited:

The Shooman

Practically Family
My new Vass shoes on the P2 last, my best fitting shoes.

Few shoe companies make a shoe as good as Vass. Why? Because it is the way they make their shoes that makes all the difference, ie the shoe construction. A machine stitched sole v's a hand stitched sole make a big difference in how a shoe molds to the foot and the experience had. A hand welted shoe v's a machine welted shoe also makes a big difference in how a shoe molds to the foot. A hand constructed shoe will deliver the highest performance of any shoe. I struggle to wear my goodyear welted shoes anymore because they use a machine stitched sole and are machine welted, ie, they are built to mass standards and don't deliver the real shoe treatment that true connoisseurs enjoy....it is like comparing an old Ford with bad suspension to a Rolls Royce ...the handmade provides the luxury ride where-as the mass production provides the basic ride that is harder and rougher because it doesn't mold as well.
Vass-1.jpg
[/url]
Vass-3.jpg
[/url]
Vass-4.jpg
[/url]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ