Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Stingy Brims

I added another stingy brim to my collection a couple of weeks ago:

Y42G6nI.jpg

4bju27L.jpg

Z7lf0NP.jpg

Not the type of hat we usually see here on The Lounge--no name, no liner, no frills, made in China, 100% cotton (allegedly), essentially a cheap Trilby. The front of the brim was flat when I received it, and it's taken me this long to get a little upward curl to it. I was hoping I could get it to mirror the back of the brim, but soon realized the front brim is 3/8" wider than the back and sides so what you see is probably about as good as it's going to get. Considering it only cost me $3.58, I can't complain too much. :cool:

Last edited:

DaveProc

I'll Lock Up
Dug this Wormser out of the linen closet at my parents house. It belonged to my step-mothers father. He was a WWII veteran of the 86th Engineer Battalion, Heavy Pontoon,. We was wounded twice during the Battle of the Bulge. He was a great man and role model. I am proud to own it! 20190506_162027.jpg 20190506_162031.jpg 20190506_162043.jpg 20190506_162051.jpg 20190506_162114.jpg 20190506_162130.jpg

Wore this Dobbs yesterday that I've had for at least 25 years.

1960s, 2 inch brim, gray. It has been pulled over my 952 block in its lifetime.

I also have a twin of this in tan/beige/light brown.

View attachment 168885 View attachment 168886 View attachment 168887 View attachment 168888
On my monitor it (the felt and the ribbon) looks more tan/brown than gray. That aside, I'm used to seeing you in wider brimmed hats but this Dobbs looks great on your noggin.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
On my monitor it (the felt and the ribbon) looks more tan/brown than gray. That aside, I'm used to seeing you in wider brimmed hats but this Dobbs looks great on your noggin.

Thanks, and yes, this gray is a very warm one, but it is gray.

Btw, I had thought the same thing when you posted shots of yourself with that new cloth stingy. Certainly a departure! haha

This particular hat is a real workhorse. It just screams rugged. Well, maybe not screams. haha

I should photograph this one and its tan sibling side by side for comparison purposes.

Thanks, and yes, this gray is a very warm one, but it is gray...I should photograph this one and its tan sibling side by side for comparison purposes.
I can't speak for anyone else, but I'd like to see that!

...Btw, I had thought the same thing when you posted shots of yourself with that new cloth stingy. Certainly a departure! haha...
Oh, definitely. I'm not going to give up my wider brimmed hats any time soon, but that cloth p.o.s. has me re-thinking my stingy brimmed options.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Okay, so here are the two hats:

20190516_172156_800x341.jpg

The one on the left is the gray one that was on my head in post #168. The one on the right is its sibling. It's sort of a light brown with a touch of, um, pink? in it.

I have reblocked, and put new sweats into both of them. The brown hat's ribbon was such a mess that I replaced it. I preferred it with its original wide black ribbon like the gray hat's, but it was too far gone, and the brown 1.5 inch ribbon was lying around. I still may replace it with some black 2 inch ribbon as is on the gray hat.

I know these hats are about 25 years in my possession because I have a photo of my wife, myself, and my daughter when she was 2 years old, and I was wearing the gray hat. My daughter is 26 and a half right now. I bought both hats right around the same time, possibly from the same person.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I can't speak for anyone else, but I'd like to see that!

Oh, definitely. I'm not going to give up my wider brimmed hats any time soon, but that cloth p.o.s. has me re-thinking my stingy brimmed options.

haha, yep, stingies-only will never do for me. In fact, I have new custom ordered and soon to be in the works that will have a 2 3/8 : 2 1/2 inch brim. That's all I'll say about it now because that's what's relevant to this thread. :)

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
^ I like 'em both! Hopefully one of these days I'll find something similar in my size for a price I can live with.

Something I've noticed about hats with 2 inch or less brims is that they tend to go for proportionally less money than wider brimmed hats, at least on ebay. Over the years I've seen screamin' good deals for hats like the two I posted above.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112