Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
WH1 said:
This is a suit I inherited from my father-in-law. It is italian made, 100% wool, not sure what vintage, probably early to mid-80's. It has been sitting in an upstairs closet for the last 2 years and I had never even thought to try it on until today. I think it is a pretty good fit.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t36/wh1fedora/PICT1219.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t36/wh1fedora/PICT1217.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t36/wh1fedora/PICT1213-1.jpg

That's a sharp suit. Looks good.

Bugsy

One Too Many
WH1 said:
This is a suit I inherited from my father-in-law. It is italian made, 100% wool, not sure what vintage, probably early to mid-80's. It has been sitting in an upstairs closet for the last 2 years and I had never even thought to try it on until today. I think it is a pretty good fit.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t36/wh1fedora/PICT1219.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t36/wh1fedora/PICT1217.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t36/wh1fedora/PICT1213-1.jpg

Wonderful outfit. You look sharp as a tack, as my dad used to say.

Rittmeister

Familiar Face
I thought I would begin posting pics of some of my suits, jackets and pants. Most are custom made by a tailor I found in Northern New Jersey some years ago. We have been working on recreating various 30's and 40's styles. His name is Manny Toyo. His father was also a tailor who emigrated from Spain to Cuba and then came to the U.S. His website is: http://www.toyostailoring.com/Contactus.aspx

Here are the jackets of two peak lapel suits and the pants to the blue one. The grey suit has similar hollywood waist pants with side seam pockets.
BlueWorsted1-1.jpg

BlueWorsted1-2.jpg

BlueWorsted1-3.jpg

GreyCrepe1-1.jpg

I will post more here and in "What are you wearing today."

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Nice suits, Rittmeister. SB peaked lapels are always great.

Here are mine, all either too small or too big for me to wear. Nothing spectacular but still vintage.

3-piece wool. Trousers are flat front, no cuff. It's a Kuppenheimer, union tag is unreadable so I'm guessing from the 1940s.

1blue3-piece001.jpg

1blue3-piece002.jpg

1blue3-piece003.jpg

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Another wool 3-piece, unfortunately moth eaten and too small.

Trousers are flat front with a cuff. This originally came from my great-great grandpa's haberdashery, J.C. Petersens. It's a Hart Schaffner & Marx, probably from the 1940s since the trousers have a Talon zipper in the fly.

1brown3-piecesuit001.jpg

1brown3-piecesuit002.jpg

1brown3-piecesuit003.jpg

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
My most recent suit, this is a 3-piece of unknown fabric. It's pretty stiff, possibly cotton but it doesn't feel like it. The tag says "custom fabric".

Again, the trousers are flat front with a cuff. It's a Kingsridge and the trousers have a Talon zipper fly, dating it to the late 1940s/early 1950s.

Too large for me.

2blue3-piecesuit001.jpg

2blue3-piecesuit002.jpg

2blue3-piecesuit003.jpg

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Last but not least, an orphaned wool vest and jacket. They fit me but the jacket is too moth eaten to use. I do use the vest.

The tag shows this suit is from J.C. Penny's. There is no union tag. Early 1930s perhaps?

1gray3-piecesuit001.jpg

1gray3-piecesuit002.jpg

1gray3-piecesuit003.jpg

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
thunderw21 said:
Nice suits, Rittmeister. SB peaked lapels are always great.

Here are mine, all either too small or too big for me to wear. Nothing spectacular but still vintage.

3-piece wool. Trousers are flat front, no cuff. It's a Kuppenheimer, union tag is unreadable so I'm guessing from the 1940s.

1blue3-piece001.jpg

1blue3-piece002.jpg

1blue3-piece003.jpg

May not be spectacular, but the typical essentials are some of the hardest stuff to find! I really like this fabric.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I found this today for ten bucks at the local thrift shop. Couldn't pass it up.
dated 1961 from Raleigh Haberdasher. Single breasted peak lapel in an interesting kinda herringbone kinda fleck fabric. High waisted pants, cuffed, talon zipper. Needs a little bit of work, and has some repairs, but it's nice and lightweight, and I think I'll take it with me out west on an upcoming trip to the National folk festival in Butte, Montana.

IMG_8078.jpg
IMG_8080.jpg
IMG_8084.jpg
IMG_8090.jpg
IMG_8093.jpg
IMG_8095.jpg
IMG_8085.jpg

not a great picture, but you get the idea. very early '60s.

YETI

A-List Customer
nice suit...

thunderw21 said:
My most recent suit, this is a 3-piece of unknown fabric. It's pretty stiff, possibly cotton but it doesn't feel like it. The tag says "custom fabric".

Again, the trousers are flat front with a cuff. It's a Kingsridge and the trousers have a Talon zipper fly, dating it to the late 1940s/early 1950s.

Too large for me.

2blue3-piecesuit001.jpg

2blue3-piecesuit002.jpg

2blue3-piecesuit003.jpg
What size is it?

Even after all this time …

There's room to be stunned by finds. Here's my most recent find. I was in a London "retro" store which mainly deals in 70s and 80s gear for the trendy-heads. I saw this on the rack and wet myself. The buttons had been repositioned as the owner got fatter. But the trousers have been downsized to a 27 (!) waist. Who knows. I have returned the buttons to their correct positions, and will adjust the trousers soon to fit me. It fits like a dream now, though i need to let the arms down a little. They have previously been taken up. It is made from a brown worsted with black and burgundy intersecting overchecks. Very soft fabric. Truly fantastic. Very "sporty".

Funny where these things end up.

BrownCheckBeltBack1.jpg
BrownCheckBeltBack2.jpg

Belt back with 3 pleats either side of the midline.

BrownCheckBeltBack3.jpg

Flapped patch pocket with midline knife pleat.

BrownCheckBeltBack4.jpg

Originally sold in Great Falls, Montana.

BrownCheckBeltBack5.jpg

1936 union label, dating the suit between 1936 and '39.

BrownCheckBeltBack6.jpg

As an extra bit of trivia on this suit, in the breast pocket there is a deposit slip from the First National Bank of Geraldine, Montana. James Caufield deposited $133.88 on Sept 4th, 1962. Amazing. This suit (the jacket at least) was being used at least 25 years after it was originally bought. Very possibly by he same man who bought it. How many of your super-expensive modern suits could stand this amount of wear? And it's in impeccable condition. This guy loved this suit. He looked after it. It has moved on to the right home. It'l still be going strong 100 years after he bought it!

bk

mike

Call Me a Cab
Baron Kurtz said:
There's room to be stunned by finds. Here's my most recent find. I was in a London "retro" store which mainly deals in 70s and 80s gear for the trendy-heads. I saw this on the rack and wet myself. The buttons had been repositioned as the owner got fatter. But the trousers have been downsized to a 27 (!) waist. Who knows. I have returned the buttons to their correct positions, and will adjust the trousers soon to fit me. It fits like a dream now, though i need to let the arms down a little. They have previously been taken up. It is made from a brown worsted with black and burgundy intersecting overchecks. Very soft fabric. Truly fantastic. Very "sporty".

bk

Beautiful!!! Congratulations! I've yet to just randomly come across such treasure, one day perhaps :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR