Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

Dagwood

Practically Family
benstephens said:
Looking at properties of the photo it is held on Flikr, and work have banned that!

Photos not from Flickr. It's from Imageshack. Isn't there a difference?

I agree with the above statements - I did feel like I was wearing a T**m B**w* suit.

mike

Call Me a Cab
Tomasso said:
But, but, it's an award winning look.

2007-07-19-thombrown.jpg

Dagwood I think you're beating yourself up over it, it looks good! I'd say it looks like half a size too small but not comically small like the above suit!
Also, did you win that 3 piece blue vintage brooks brothers suit....? I'd love to see some pictures of THAT!

benstephens

Practically Family
Yes, how interesting. Onmy home computer it is indeed imageshack, on my work pc the properties were flickr.

I feel a conspiracy theory in the making........

I still can not see it at home,but that is because we have not 'unlocked' our vodaphone account yet!

Ben

donCarlos

Practically Family
Tomasso said:
But, but, it's an award winning look.

2007-07-19-thombrown.jpg
Please, don´t do this again! I nearly had a heart attack! My god, is on the wall written "fashion awards"? Once again and I´ll jump out of the window.;)

Johnny B

Familiar Face
I found a suit that fits finally!

25 bucks in a Toronto thrift shop- 46R. I couldn't believe it. I couldn't quite take a good picture so here are the only two I took that I even like

suit1jw8.jpg

suit4wr7.jpg

My casual hand placement makes it look like I'm gripping it for all it's worth

It's an absolutely once in a lifetime catch. All wool, made here in Canada, high waisted, everything.

The other one is a cotton/linen 30s military style (Luftwaffe) for the summer. Did someone say French Cuffs? Hell yeah, that's a booyeah

suit3tw0.jpg

sui2ke4.jpg

Too bad it's too hot to wear anything other than shorts and a tshirt

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
1970s 3-piece "seersucker". It's actually linen, not seersucker but it looks very similar. Definitely not polyester. :eek:
seersucker001-1.jpg

In wear.
me020-1.jpg

Modern Brooks Brothers tweed in herringbone.
BrooksBrotherssuit001.jpg

n110800350_30429000_7383.jpg

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Tomasso said:
Who's the maker? And, could you please show a closeup of the fabric? :)

Sure thing.

The fabric:
seersucker002-1.jpg

The one and only tag:
seersucker004-1.jpg

This suit came from my great great-grandfather's haberdashery.

peterhelm

New in Town
DSC_5639.jpg

Afb305.jpg

Afb308.jpg

I bought this jacket two weeks ago. When I came home I heard the store I bought it burned down just 30 minutes after I left....

Inside I found a tag ; M. Spits Amsterdam. Machielse 13 feb 1934

Regards,
Peter

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
peterhelm said:
I bought this jacket two weeks ago. When I came home I heard the store I bought it burned down just 30 minutes after I left....

Wow, talk about timing. Too bad to hear about that but glad you and that jacket made a safe escape before it started.

splatt

One of the Regulars
OK...not generally big on the suit thing so this is pretty much what i have hanging on the rack at the moment:
  • My first black suit from the late 1980's. The pants are like balloons at the top and really narrow at the bottom and look like they should be worn by Vanilla Ice or MC Hammer, but the jacket is really comfortable and is identifiable immediately as a 1980's cut...which i don't actually mind :eek:
  • An Italian suit (with medium length jacket) that i bought for a wedding in the mid 1990's which is not to bad, but i haven't worn it for years [huh]
  • One off-the-rack late 1990's or early 2000's "business suit"...which i really don't like, but had to buy for work reasons and that i have refused to wear for years :rage:
  • A sort of modern military/gothic medium length jacket that i bought for some reason nearly two years ago and have only worn once [huh]
  • I have an amazing white linen suit which i had made for me in Singapore in around 2003 (by Sir Master Tailor) when i spent a bit of time hanging out at the Raffles Hotel. I don't get to wear it very often but i absolutely adore it :rolleyes:
  • My favourite jacket is a $500 white jacket i bought at Skin Deep about two years ago and is in my opinion...spectacular :D

I'll take some photos this weekend.

As i said, i'm not that big a suit sort of person (i only just realised i currently own 6 suits while putting this post together), but having had a look through all 150 pages of this thread in the last day, i'd have to say that you guys have all shown some truly brilliant vintage suits which is slowly tipping me over, so i spent part of yesterday checking out a favourite store of mine :eusa_doh:

Now...depending on how well the pants fit (the jacket is a perfect fit), i may or may not be buying my first vintage suit tomorrow.

No photos but a quick description from memory would be...its a dark brown colour, single breasted (but made with only one button which i thought strange), has suspender attachments, is manufactured out of a medium weight wool and was made in Hungary in the 1940's. It's in very good condition but unfortunately it has no waistcoat which is something i was hoping for :(

The other option is an adorable blue pin-stripe (not sure if it was single or double breasted) from the 1950's with the only tag on it being from the Myer Emporium. The pants didn't appear to be in great condition but i will check them again tomorrow. :(

I've also spotted an over-coat made by the Leviathan Clothing Company who were housed in the impressive Leviathan Clothing Store in the heart of Melbourne in the early 1900's...once again, this one will get a closer look tomorrow as well :eek:

WH1

Practically Family

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner