Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

Maguire

Practically Family
Nick D the 70s just called, they want your.. everything back lol lol

(joking of course)

anyway i've taken a photo or two of some of my other jackets suits. Now I'm more of a scavenger, if someone dies and they happen to be my size, i end up with a whole load of suits of varying quality. If i come across a suit that's dirt cheap but doesn't look it, i'll buy it. In total the most expensive suit i own is no more than 250 dollars and i personally have only spent 200 dollars on a suit at maximum. For me, its not worth the risk to get some tailored, 500 + suit. Most people don't know the difference, plus if it gets ruined i can replace a cheap suit far faster than an expensive one. All i need is to get some super expensive suit and spill something on myself the next day.. and there goes everything. This is my way on hats too. Its not about being a penny pincher but simply about functionality. If i was Gordon Gecko or a politician or some tycoon sure, I'd get every suit custom tailored. But i'm a college student working for a little over minimum wage and I'm not exactly rich. So for me, if it looks good and feels good, i don't care if it cost me 50 bucks. I hope i'm not alone on that

Anyway here goes-
my plaid jacket-
DSCF0848.jpg
(excuse the dopey expression)
DSCF0843.jpg

Got it back home in Ireland .. i believe the town of Listol.

My Black suit:
DSCF0853.jpg

Its probably difficult to tell where the suit ends and the waistcoat begins but.. well its a black suit.. what do you expect. This suit was actually one of the more expensive ones, i got it around the time of my graduation in High School. I figured a black suit is the easiest suit to wear.. no worries about matching this or that.

Slim Portly

One Too Many
Nick D said:
New three piece suit off the Bay. The pictures made it look like a dark tan/slightly green suit, it's actually a darker brown, but I'm happy with it all the same :)

Brown wool with a blue pinstripe in a medium weight, good quality cloth. Slanted pockets, three interior pockets, one vent on the jacket. Trousers have button adjusters, long zip fly, brace buttons, no beltloops, one rear pocket, and 1 3/4" cuffs. Waistcoat has 6 buttons and four deep pockets...
Nick, great suit and great pattern on the fabric.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, Slim

Maguire, the suit is probably '70s, but at least it's not a poly, bell bottomed liesure suit ;) As for my hair, I've avoided getting a haircut only to save a couple pounds [huh]

Maguire

Practically Family
metropd said:
From the picture the black suit looks big on you. Have you thought about alterations? So does the shirt collar.:)
My shirt is the correct size. If i got a size below the 16 i'd be in a skintight shirt. The suit is the correct size and probably the best fitting suit i own. I'm not big on alterations unless they are necessary.

I have a few relatively new ones (to me), and some "on the way" as it were, to show over the next little while as i get a chance to post pics.

The first is a CC41 jacket from Horne Brothers whose fabric (astoundingly!) perfectly matches a pair of old British trousers i own. So i now have a wearable black 2-piece SBPL 40s suit. This is the best-made CC41 piece i've come across to date and fits grand.

BlackCC41-1.jpg

BlackCC41-3.jpg

Blurry pic of lapel.

BlackCC41-2.jpg

Labels and standard CC41 heavy rayon twill lining material.

BlackCC41-4.jpg

bk

Selentino

One of the Regulars
Custom Tailors

Picked up My Custom Tailors from an earlier thread. Wanted all to know I've ordered 5 suits from them. They are very flexible. I ordered their Hollywood Drape and added a peaked lapel waistcoat. With each suit I've tweaked the order and am pleased with the results. Pics to follow, and no they come close but don't get the armholes right. I don't think anyone can without a fitting.
But they do have stateside fittings so the next time they come to Vegas I'll give it a try. But I think a Deckard and Newcastle fitting might come first.

benstephens

Practically Family
That is a lovely jacket Baron. I have a number of items from Horne Brothers and they are all very good quality. Seem to be better than Austin Reed certainly.

Interesting cut, with the high gorge and wide yet small lapels.

Ben

Hi Ben,

'pon close inspection of the jacket, i find that this jacket has been very badly pressed at some point in its life. The lapel should be pressed down to about the level of the top button - there's a hint of that in the full-length photograph (see the ripple just above the button?). This will reduce the apparent height of the closure considerably and lead to a much more balanced looking overall appearance. As it is, the stitching to attach the lapel liner/interfacing is showing where the lapel has been pressed too high

I'll have my man (Josep, of the dry cleaning establishment down my road) make sure he presses it right.

bk

benstephens

Practically Family
Interestingly Baron, I have picked up a number of single breasted suits that have been pressed like that. I have always felt it was to keep up with latter fashions?

Ben

WH1

Practically Family
New Ralph Lauren suit. It is a glen plaid 3 piece, the tie is also Ralph Lauren got it at a thrift shop for a couple of bucks. Not sure how I feel about the vest, I am a pretty large person to begin with (6'1" 211) and I'm worried it adds too much bulk.
The hat is my new Optimo, birthday present from the wife. It is a beautiful hat and very light which is good here in the south.:)

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t36/wh1fedora/PICT1182-2-1.jpg

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
WH1 said:
... Not sure how I feel about the vest, I am a pretty large person to begin with (6'1" 211) and I'm worried it adds too much bulk ...

Nice suit and hat. In my opinion, you can never go wrong with a vest (three-piece suit).

KObalto

One of the Regulars
WH1 said:
Not sure how I feel about the vest, I am a pretty large person to begin with (6'1" 211) and I'm worried it adds too much bulk.
The hat is my new Optimo, birthday present from the wife. It is a beautiful hat and very light which is good here in the south.:)
The vest looks great, as does the entire suit.

WH1

Practically Family
Big Man said:
Nice suit and hat. In my opinion, you can never go wrong with a vest (three-piece suit).

Only if I can make it look as good as you always do sir, of course I have told you before that I want some of the peak lapel suits you have displayed and I will be sneaking over to your house later for your VS hat. I don't even care if your grandfather haunts me because of it;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko