Show us your suits

Discussion in 'Suits' started by Matt Deckard, Sep 29, 2003.

1. =Clipper=

=Clipper= One of the Regulars

Jovan, well, there's one way of finding out if they're bakelite or not, you know. I've developed the habit of rubbing on any plastic I think may be bakelite. When it warms up a bit and you smell the formaldehyde then it's Bakelite! It's just funny when you're at an antique store and people look at you strange because you're rubbing and smelling buttons :p

=Adrian=

2. =Clipper=

=Clipper= One of the Regulars

Dagwood, Very fine looking suit! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
    Do you plan on maybe shortening the length of the cuffs? Other than that, it looks like it was tailored for you!

=Adrian=

3. mdavids2000

mdavids2000 Familiar Face

Yesterday taken on the flea market here in Amsterdam.

[​IMG]

4. Dagwood

Dagwood Practically Family

Thanks to all for your positive comments. Also, nice suit Mdavids2000.

I haven't made up my mind.

The below suit does need minor alterations. It is black with flecks of red, green, orange and yellow. The picture of the pants is a true representation of how dark the suit is. From February 7, 1938:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5. Jovan

Jovan Suspended

Wow. Who is the tailor of you gents?

6. Patrick Murtha

Patrick Murtha Practically Family

The hat is splendid. Vintage or new?

7. mdavids2000

mdavids2000 Familiar Face

It's a vintage's original 1930's hat.

8. Here's a German one i'm currently selling in Classifieds.

A very nice German 4x1 DB probably 1950s. Black fabric with an interesting weave (see button pic). The trousers have a DAKS waistband treatment and interior front suspender buttons, and the classic German rear suspender buttons on long extenders (see pic of trousers front). There is a buttoned and flapped right front fob pocket and two buttoned and flapped rear pockets. It seems that the waist has been taken out at some time. This is a really lovely suit. Judge for yourselves via photographs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bk

9. LuckyKat

LuckyKat Practically Family

If you look in the lower left of the Union label you took a picture of you can see that it says COPYRIGHT 1939. The next union label that they started putting in suits was 1949, so you can assume that this suit was made in between those years. Now, is it pre or post war, I dont know, but theres no way of really determining that other than talking to the manufacturer. Either way, what a fantastic material on a pleasant 40s suit...good find.

10. Jerekson

Jerekson One Too Many

Wow Baron, those pants are something special.

11. Yes indeed they are. All German trousers of the era have all the same features.

bk

12. belmondo

belmondo New in Town

Tailor? All suits pictured were thrifted. Good alterations tailor in town though. When I first started going I had trouble convincing him I actually wanted what I wanted. He kept saying he wouldn't do 7.5 in bottoms, but finally I convinced him. Now he remembers me and my friend from the photos also goes to him with vintage-type alteration requests.

13. Dinerman

Dinerman Super Moderator Bartender

[​IMG]

14. scotrace

scotrace Head Bartender Staff Member

Wow. Story?

15. Wolfmanjack

Wolfmanjack Practically Family

Beautiful ensemble, Dinerman. So...please tell us about it.

BTW, are you wearing that new watch chain you found in Maine?

16. metropd

metropd One Too Many

The BEST of the BEST!!!

17. BellyTank

BellyTank I'll Lock Up

S vs Z...

The cloth of this garment has what is referred to as an "Z" twill, rather than a "S" twill.
    The "back" of the letter denoting the direction of the twill-
    top-right to bottom-left, rather than top-left to bottom-right.

Just for the record.

B
    T

18. Fletch

Fletch I'll Lock Up

Yesterday I played jazz at a roof garden party in NYC in this micro-houndstooth suit by Gianpaulo (sic) Uomo, circa 1995. Except for the light weight, which causes the trou legs to peg radically, it has a pretty authentic late 40s-early 50s silhouette.
    I accessorized for a racetrack sharpster look of that era with a pearl grey vintage tie (no label), spread collar, Windsor knot and a modified TV fold for the hankey.
    Champ Featherweight hat; Allen-Edmonds Broadstreet specs.
    [​IMG]

Pipe the goods - all wool and 20 checks to the inch.
    [​IMG]

19. Dinerman

Dinerman Super Moderator Bartender

The suit's from 1933. It's got some damage, a hole in the shoulder, and places where something ( watch chain, key chain?) have rubbed through both side pockets. Herringbone in a scratchy stiff wool.

20. mike

mike Call Me a Cab

blue light/muted plaid back belted double breasted suit back in NY with my family for our birthday week (3 out of 4 of the family all have our birthdays the first week of May)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry to say close ups and back shots weren't taken but when I get my camera (and all of my stuff for the matter) from the movers I'll be sure to take some pictures :)

But what a beauty, huh!?!?!