Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Sapphire said:
vintage shop owners usually try to sell 'Elvis & Marilyn stuff' plus huge pink petticoats (to my wife, not to me!) when one asks for 50s clothing...
Silly man, don't you know everybody in the 50s dressed like Elvis and Marilyn?
elvis-impersonators.jpg

Board of Directors, New York Stock Exchange, 1953

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Sapphire said:
Glad you guys like it as much as I do. The only labels inside are a relatively modern "pure new wool" label in German, English and French as well as the symbols re cleaning etc, which afaik only exist since 1975 or so.

Here's a closeup of the fabric, it has a pattern of brown, green, blue, yellow and red in it.
brown_suit_detail.jpg

And here two combination possibilities with vintage Trevira ties, the pocket square still has room for improvement:
brown_suit_tie1.jpg

and
brown_suit_tie2.jpg

The suit might actually even be from the early 1990s, but as long as I can wear it as something close to a late 50s jacket it will be OK. Anyway, my wife got such nice dresses last weekend that noone will take a closer look at me anyway when we are together ;)

Wow! I like both ties, but I think that the second goes better...

Sapphire

One of the Regulars
@ Fletch:

Now that you say it... I think the NYSE BoD of 1953 in your post looks striking. These were the days when people dressed well to display professionalism and dignity!

@ Widebrim: The second one is also my top choice, even though the first one has exactly the same colours as in the jacket. Any suggestions on a suitable shirt colour? Assume white would be best, even though I try to avoid white in my everyday clothing...but a beige shirt might make it look all too 90ish?

RobStC said:
Brown can often be a really hard colour to get to work, and is very skin/hair tone sensitive, but when it does work I think it can be very striking and distinguished. Good luck with it!
Aye mate! I am dark blond and relatively pale (the typical fate of an office person), so theoretically brown should not necessarily be my colour. Nevertheless for my daily suits at work I prefer it over grey, blue or black, so let's see. Cannot show a full size photo of me with the suit at the moment as the trousers are still too tight and short, plus am still lacking a suitable shirt and - not to forget - hat.

By the way: Edinburgh, what a wonderful place to live! Was there last year with the Riley and plan to return in 2010 http://www.padmagruen.de/galerie/photostack/galleries/Riley_RM/2008/7843_forthbridge.jpg

Cheers,
Tom

RobStC

A-List Customer
By the way: Edinburgh, what a wonderful place to live! Was there last year with the Riley and plan to return in 2010 http://www.padmagruen.de/galerie/photostack/galleries/Riley_RM/2008/7843_forthbridge.jpg

Cheers,
Tom[/QUOTE]

Sapphire's car. :eek:fftopic: What can I say except..... BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!! Even colour coordinated with the bridge :eusa_clap
That is the nicest looking Riley I think I've ever seen - no offence to any Riley owners out there, but didn't realise they made such suave stuff.

Enjoy.
Rob St.C

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Hello Gents! As a lady that's into Seasonal Color Theory for the gents too at our house (my hubby is a Spring and and our 13yo son is a Summer) I'll throw in my input on brown for blondes...

If you are an ash blonde - "SUMMER" (usually tans, dark freckles and has brown facial hair, maybe was even a toehead blonde as a kid), a ROSE BROWN is a good color for a SUIT- try a winter white shirt, then a baby pink or rose pink, or baby blue shirt.

Compare that with a golden blonde- "SPRING" (usually burns, light freckles even, can have blonde or redhead facial hair, could have been a strawberry blonde as a kid) a GOLDEN BROWN is a good color for a SUIT- try a cream color shirt, then a coral, a peachy-pink, or aqua colored shirt.

The chocolate brown that's very popular right now, forget it for a blonde- its too dark.

Its JMO, but beige is pretty dull- there are so many interesting colors out there especially for Golden Era fans. The colors for suit fabrics and accessories back then were fabulous. Just look as some of those great 40s ties!

Beige, of course is perfect if its in a classic men's trench coat ala' Bogie in Casablanca.

Sapphire said:
@ Widebrim: The second one is also my top choice, even though the first one has exactly the same colours as in the jacket. Any suggestions on a suitable shirt colour? Assume white would be best, even though I try to avoid white in my everyday clothing...but a beige shirt might make it look all too 90ish?

Aye mate! I am dark blond and relatively pale (the typical fate of an office person), so theoretically brown should not necessarily be my colour. Nevertheless for my daily suits at work I prefer it over grey, blue or black, so let's see. Cannot show a full size photo of me with the suit at the moment as the trousers are still too tight and short, plus am still lacking a suitable shirt and - not to forget - hat.

Cheers,
Tom

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Hm, I like the first tie with the color circles better, looks more like the colors in the suit weave to me. More pizzazz than a traditional diagonal stripe. But most of you that know me by now, you know that I love color! DH has three vintage ties that he wears with his 40s DB brown suit. In the Golden Era men often expressed their flair for color and style with their sharp ties and of course with cuff links too. A light cream color shirt can go with that first tie.

Widebrim said:
Wow! I like both ties, but I think that the second goes better...

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
SonofaPreacher, Gosh, you look just like a certain Golden Era actor in this shot. I cannot think of who it is right now, its your eyes and your nose especially. BUT it will come to me, and then I'll post it....

I'VE GOT IT!! Its actor Ian Hunter (with a beard in this film) that played King Richard the Lion-Hearted in "The Adventures of Robin Hood" with Errol Flynn!!!
IanHunter.jpg
Evidence here that you should try a pencil moustache...:)

Oh, ditto what some others have said- with the suspenders, no belt too. Great outfit btw...

SonOfaPreacher said:
here is a peek of my new suit, and vintage lid as well. enjoy!
suit031.jpg

habberdasher said:
Like it very much also, but is that a tuxedo with a boater and cane? Or just a satin-lapeled suit with a wing collar?

It looks like they are wearing tuxedos. I can live with the cane but the straw hat is kind of strange with a tuxedo---being that it is semi-formal evening wear and all. [huh] I think it is more of a nod to traditional vaudeville numbers where canes and boaters were common in performing song and dance numbers. [huh]

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
jamespowers said:
It looks like they are wearing tuxedos. I can live with the cane but the straw hat is kind of strange with a tuxedo---being that it is semi-formal evening wear and all. [huh] I think it is more of a nod to traditional vaudeville numbers where canes and boaters were common in performing song and dance numbers. [huh]

I believe the boater was proper black tie headwear in the summer, in the 30s at least. Could be wrong.

habberdasher

A-List Customer
jamespowers said:
It was proper even before that in 1916 here:
formaltuxedocutawayfrocksummer.jpg

However it is shown on the head of the man in the all white formal tux for daywear. [huh]

It shows him next to a man in a morning coat, so It may or may not be allowed. You're right.

Sapphire

One of the Regulars
chanteuseCarey said:
If you are an ash blonde - "SUMMER" (usually tans, dark freckles and has brown facial hair, maybe was even a toehead blonde as a kid), a ROSE BROWN is a good color for a SUIT- try a winter white shirt, then a baby pink or rose pink, or baby blue shirt.

Compare that with a golden blonde- "SPRING" (usually burns, light freckles even, can have blonde or redhead facial hair, could have been a strawberry blonde as a kid) a GOLDEN BROWN is a good color for a SUIT- try a cream color shirt, then a coral, a peachy-pink, or aqua colored shirt.

The chocolate brown that's very popular right now, forget it for a blonde- its too dark.

Over here we usually call my hair colour "mongrel blond". It is quite a bit darker than yours, neither brunette nor real blond. I think I am more a spring type, even though I strongly dislike wearing anything pink :eek: Brown usually works well (at least I believe that and my colleagues don't dare to disagree ;)), dark grey as well, even though it gives me a much more "serious" appearance.

Well, as soon as I fit in those suits I will upload a photo in this section. Until then the coat hangers have to do the job.

Lexybeast

A-List Customer
SonOfaPreacher said:
here is a peek of my new suit, and vintage lid as well. enjoy!

suit030-1.jpg
[/IMG]
30ssuit.jpg
[/IMG]
suit031.jpg
[/IMG]
and my tribute to Public Enemies
gangsters.jpg
[/IMG]

SonOfaPreacher, really nice outfit here, but... suspenders and a belt? Don't you trust your pants? :D

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Joseph Abboud, Super 100's Wool - 3 Button, Black

Well, I just won this one on ebay for the mad deal of $6.50. I've needed a good black blazer to round out the wardrobe.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110425814209&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_1252wt_1167

The other one that I won has arrived & it is better than the pictures allowed. It is a dark charcoal grey with light grey chalk stripes & teal & burgundy stripes. the colored stripes are so subtle that they are barely noticeable unless the light hits them just right. I think once I get it tailored down it'll be my firs Nick Charles style suit.

Once the tailoring is done I'll post some pics.

Cheers!

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran