Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Very nice. I think the repairs to the holes will cost you a bundle, but the price should be a little less than what it will be worth. I hope you got it for cheap though.

I picked up a nice three piece double breasted townclad for about fifteen bucks. I got them down ten due to about ten moth holes. I am debating how many I should fix, as they cost about forty bucks each. i think I will fix only the one or two that show, and let the rest go. It is a nice suit, but not one I would pay more than a hundred for. If I were 42 or bigger, i might revise that to $200 or so. One of the best reweavers you find on the net that does fantastic work is about five blocks from my office. I feel bad because I have taken three things into them, and each time the estimate has been too much.

Do you have a good reweaver in mind and how much do they charge. If you want real quality work done, ship it to me and I can take it in to them.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I don't even bother with U.S. reweavers.

Whenever my wife and I visit Chile (about once every 2 years), I take my moth-eaten things to downtown Santiago's venerable "Japanese Reweavers". It's been in business in the same location since 1915, and the work is as perfect as it gets. Cost per hole? About $6. Larger holes and rips? About $10.

anon`

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:

Whenever my wife and I visit Chile (about once every 2 years), I take my moth-eaten things to downtown Santiago's venerable "Japanese Reweavers". It's been in business in the same location since 1915, and the work is as perfect as it gets. Cost per hole? About $6. Larger holes and rips? About $10.[/COLOR]
Sounds brilliant. But how much is the plane ticket?

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
reetpleat said:
Very nice. I think the repairs to the holes will cost you a bundle, but the price should be a little less than what it will be worth. I hope you got it for cheap though.
Do you have a good reweaver in mind and how much do they charge. If you want real quality work done, ship it to me and I can take it in to them.

That's what I'm afraid of and it's not easy to save up so much money on my salary. It'll take time. I got it for $85, which seems reasonable to me.

I'm thinking of going with these guys (don't know how much they charge, but Tomasso has used them), though I'd be open to your idea. I thought about taking it to a carpet reweaver or even restitching it myself :eek: but want it to be done right.

Hmm, I could move to Chile...

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:

Whenever my wife and I visit Chile (about once every 2 years), I take my moth-eaten things to downtown Santiago's venerable "Japanese Reweavers". It's been in business in the same location since 1915, and the work is as perfect as it gets. Cost per hole? About $6. Larger holes and rips? About $10.

I have wondered if anyone had an out of country source. do you think they could do it via shipping. Might not be worth the cost unless you sent a few or did something like the above sleeve.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Tomasso said:
I wonder what the shipping charges to/from Santiago would run.

MARC!?!?

USPS could do it for as low as $38 one way (that's without insurance, all the bells and whistles).

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Tomasso said:
I wonder what the shipping charges to/from Santiago would run.

MARC!?!?

Sorry, folks, they don’t take mailed-in garments. It’s a small, family-owned and run business with only 4 reweavers. The wait time is at least 3 weeks.

Still, if you ever find yourself in beautiful Chile (and there are many reasons to visit!), here’s where to go:

“EL ZURCIDOR JAPONES” (“The Japanese Reweaver”)

Address:

Calle Arturo Prat 60, Loc.8. (60 Arturo Prat Street, #8), near the “University of Chile” subway station. Downtown Santiago.

Phone:

56 (2) 638 2315

No e-mail address or website. Spanish speaking only.

Marcus

A-List Customer
The suit and the gal are mine...not the car:

DSC00685.jpg

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Presenting the long-awaited "Blue Thunder"

Kingsridge blue woven-stripe 3pc, ca. mid 1940s, purchased from thunderw21.
3817373023_d15afd3026_b.jpg

This one needs some easement in the jacket and a new back for the vest to make it fit, but even as is, it's one of the best in the bunch.
3817372911_fdbcb4a5c0.jpg

The fabric is a midweight, hard-finished cheviot, similar in hand to gabardine but without the obvious twilling.
3818218300_3c2a1e05d6.jpg
3817430325_7c5b568b35_m.jpg

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Looks good, Fletch! Can't wait to see it after the alterations.

You look like you stepped out of one of my vintage catalogs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic