Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Probably late 50s due to the tapered trousers which came in towards the end of that decade. The trousers also lack cuffs but it could just be that the previous owner let them down for the extra length. Other things to look for will be how padded the shoulders are, whether it is partially or fully lined, and union tags (though I know next to nothing about American union tags).

Overall it is definitely a continental style suit. The sort seen in films such as "North by Northwest". I quite like this style of suit because it is elegant yet understated.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
For once at the thrift shop I find not one but two suits that I like that actually have pants that fit.
IMG_0091-2.jpg

IMG_0092-1.jpg

IMG_0094-2.jpg

IMG_0095.jpg

DSC06143.jpg

DSC06144.jpg

Last edited:

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
This one's really sleek (and I'll take better pictures of it tomorrow).
Round lapels, no pocket flaps, no cuffs, and the breast pocket is false (not just basted shut).
IMG_0079-2.jpg

IMG_0086-1.jpg

IMG_0082-2.jpg

IMG_0083-2.jpg

IMG_0088-1.jpg

IMG_0089-1.jpg

Last edited:

Salieri

One of the Regulars
I believe I have just found the suit of my life thus far. It also has an interesting tale surrounding my acquisition of it. I originally found it in a nearby vintage clothing shop at a 2-piece. Of course I assumed by the fact that it was clearly mid 30s - 40s in origin that the chances were very high that it started life with a waistcoat, but I thought it was too nice to resist anyway and bought it. Several weeks later I had a browse through the hire-only section of the same shop and was taking a look at a fairly nice 40s 3-piece double breasted suit when I realised the waistcoat didn't quite match. Not only did it not match but I was sure it matched my suit. Next day I took my suit in to compare and bingo - it became a 3-piece.

I wasn't as much of a major bargain as I am usually used to getting, but it was certainly less than I would expect to have to pay on ebay (or in a real town...)

Anyway, this is it:

DSCF3056.jpg

DSCF3049.jpg

More (very similar) views:

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w120/kaloikagathoi/DSCF3043.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w120/kaloikagathoi/DSCF3052.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w120/kaloikagathoi/DSCF3053.jpg

Sorry about the bathroom shots - will need to get someone to actually hold the camera for me to get some distance shots to show off the trousers. The fabric is really beautiful - no labels anywhere but I assume by the style and quality that it came from a fairly decent wholesale bespoke operation like Hepworths or Burton (or perhaps a small independent provincial tailor as there's no label.) Anyhow, I'm seriously pleased with it. Fits perfectly - mustn't gain ANY weight.

EDIT: To save me having to take a long shot - this is a practically identical cut (from Burton 1935)

illustration.png

Last edited:

Mario

I'll Lock Up

That is gorgeous!!!! What a find!

:arated: A gorgeous suit indeed! And it was obviously made for you... ;) :eusa_clap

I think I need to shrink myself (5" should do) and maybe one day I'll find a suit from the 30's/40's that actually fits me. Hmmm...come to think of it - I seriously doubt it... There'll never be such a thing as the suit of my life unless I have it made for me... :(

Zeropositive

Familiar Face
Now that is a hell of a find. That suit is amazing, the fit, material looks in great condition and the cut looks spot on.
Very nice. The waist coat is a lovely touch of style as well.

Zeropositive

Familiar Face
Here's the same suit made up as a makeshift 3-piece with herringbone waistcoat, which I think workd pretty well. The colour hasn't really come out very well; it's much bluer in reality.

SDC15190.png

That is a great suit, any more details about it? Such as the trousers are they button fly, buttons for braces and any labels?

Salieri

One of the Regulars
Thanks a lot (all comments)

That is a great suit, any more details about it? Such as the trousers are they button fly, buttons for braces and any labels?

Ah, yes, it has a label for Hepworths, but no date. I'd say it's probably 30s by the style and the fact that the 40s Hepworths labels I've seen are slightly different (not a very solid clue, I'll admit). The trousers are high waisted, button fly and buttons for braces, no belt loops.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I'll just ignore this thread from now on. Actually, I should have done that a long time ago... ;)

To be fair I can't complain. My first vintage suit was a late 30s/early 40s DB pinstripe suit. I also have a three piece suit and another one being made up at the moment (in a mid-50s style).

My wardrobe is full enough at the moment (not that I actually have a wardrobe, just a bar attatched to a shelf given my lack of space) so I should really stop looking at this thread because it makes me want more suits that I know I don't need.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran