Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
That it is, thank you again, Damian!

Any ideas on pocket squares for this one?

The suit feels to be made of linen, but I am not completely sure how to tell. The fabric just has that 'summer' feel to it, much more so than my other summer suit.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
1936 3 piece summer weight suit, originally owned by W.C. Bullitt.

Bullitt was the first US Ambassador to the Soviet Union (1933-36) and then France (1936-40), witnessing the German invasion.

00227.jpg

WOW! You've outdone yourself, Splintercellz! Fantastic suit, and a piece of history, no less! It fits you nicely. Just awesome.

gamez32

One of the Regulars
I just picked up this 1920's custom linen suit. It is a huge suit. It's about a 52. Unfortunately, I'm only a 44 but I couldn't pass this up. It's rare to find anything from that time in a big size. The pants are 49 x 34. I need to figure out if anything can be done . I was thinking of turning it into a belted back with pleats. There is definitely enough material for it. I may just leave it as is and keep it in the collection. The poor cell phone pictures do not do it justice. It is wonderful in person. I love the diagonal pocket on the front of the jacket.

Last edited:

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Nice!! I don't think it's 20's, though. 1930's-40's... and likely European (or at least "European style") with the trouser details... double fob pockets and inward pleats. Might be Italian.
Please don't cut it up (to downsize it from 52 to 44, it will require an entire re-cut of almost every part - IMO not worth the trouble). Also it is quite rare and collectible, especially at that condition and large size.
In your place I'd keep it as a valuable collectable or sell it and buy something your size that comes across.

Last edited:

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
I'd second what Fastuni said regarding altering the suit. First of all, taking a suit in by more that 1/2 to 1 size usually nets very mediocre results. Trying to cut a 52 down to a 44 is a fools errand.

Secondly, taking a rare large size like that and making in smaller is kinda a jerk move. There's probably a bigger guy who would fit this suit and love to own it. In all likelihood, a guy that big will never get another chance at a 30s suit.

MikeBravo

One Too Many
I'd second what Fastuni said regarding altering the suit. First of all, taking a suit in by more that 1/2 to 1 size usually nets very mediocre results. Trying to cut a 52 down to a 44 is a fools errand.

Secondly, taking a rare large size like that and making in smaller is kinda a jerk move. There's probably a bigger guy who would fit this suit and love to own it. In all likelihood, a guy that big will never get another chance at a 30s suit.

Yes, you make an excellent point. The chances of a larger fellow finding a vintage suit are pretty low, as has often been posted on these pages.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oh no. Don't take it in. it won't work. Take the suit to a tailor who can use it as a pattern without destroying it and then get a custom suit made. He can add a belted back or similar extra stuff without damaging the vintage original. Maybe this might be a job for Luxire even?

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Cross posted from the gents' Show us What You Made thread. Not vintage, but made using all vintage patterns, which I modified. Partly based on a vintage silk suit shared by Baron Kurtz, I also added a pleated belt back. 100% linen, jacket and waistcoat are both skeleton lined. I wore this to a wedding in Pennsylvania last weekend, it was in the 80s and 90s and I was perfectly comfortable.

SAM_1911_zps201215af.jpg

SAM_1913_zps12a1c364.jpg

SAM_1917_zps007bb7b5.jpg

SAM_1920_zpsc1cede97.jpg

SAM_1923_zps25ffebaa.jpg

SAM_1309_zps9fbf8372.jpg

SAM_1310_zpsaaa30a5c.jpg

SAM_1287_zps28f33f7d.jpg

Last edited:

gamez32

One of the Regulars
Great job!

Yeah, I think you guys are right. I'll leave it be. It's just so hard to find suits my size. I saw a big one and thought of the possibilities, but I don't want to ruin it for someone else.
I thought I'd share some suits that I actually wear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner