Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Hangin' out at Ruby's Diner.

Diner1-vi.jpg

Wild Root

Gone Home
I have to say, that group photo came out very well! Is there a larger shot of that by any chance? I'd like to have a copy seeing I'm in it.

Root.

PS. Can't remember if this I put this up yet, if not cool, if so, oh well!

1131362img9ar.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Big Man...

Elliot Ness would snap you up in a flash..!!! that photo says, "no messin with this Big Man.!!" I'm loving all these photos, the group shot above is just great and giving me lots of ideas for my wardrobe guys. This is what this forum is all about, and as the saying goes.."a picture paints a thousand words." I'm getting loads of hints on how to smarten myself up from this thread, as I love to work from pictures.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Wow!

I agree Paddy, this is the stuff I look for here.
The group photo in front of the Ford makes me want to move to CA, and Big Man, you look like a movie still, in spades.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Those are some of our friends who live out here. That was taken at a good friends wedding. I have been trying to get some of them to join the Lounge but for some reason they're not biting. They will soon I hope.

The two tones my friend is wearing are modern. They were made a few years ago I believe. Can't recall the brand but found them at a shop over in Sanpedro. They are a dark red/brown with an ivory canvas.

Root.

shamus

Suspended
Big Man:

That Thompson has the longest barrel I've ever seen on one? Is that a custom? Or am I just so use to WWII versions?

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thompson

shamus said:
Big Man:

That Thompson has the longest barrel I've ever seen on one? Is that a custom? Or am I just so use to WWII versions?

The gun I have is a model T1 (1927A-1) made by Auto-Ordnance Corp. It has a 16.5" barrel (18" with compensator). They make a shorter barrrel model, as well as a military model. This gun was a Father's Day present from my son last year. It has absoutely no practical value, but it sure is fun to shoot and is quite a "conversation piece" with my friends.

shamus

Suspended
Televsion has no practical value either.. But I own two.

Now what if by chance you were traveling say in a 1927 Ford, down say, a dirt road in northern Indiana and lets say you just happen to have four bags of cash from, I don't know... a recently robbed bank. And lets say two other fords are behind you and they're painted black and white.

Then, Yes, that thompson has practical value. But how often do you travel in Northern Indiana?

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'd be in one of the black and whites, but that's another story. :)

When I said "no practical value" I was meaning in the sense of hunting or target shooting and, to a degree, self defense. The Thompson is heavy, bulky, awkward to load, and relatively underpowered. Of course when it was "new" I'm sure it was the best thing going, but by today's standards it can't measure up. Still, it's a really cool gun to own and shoot (especially if you're shooting at one of those "Dillinger silhouette" targets).

Oscar Tong

Familiar Face
My new suit (and an old one, too)

The following suits are not vintage in any way, but I hope you will derive some enjoyment from them, anyway.

Here is the off-the-rack suit I ended up purchasing. I think I nearly drove the entire staff of Moores, the Canadian division of The Men's Wearhouse, mad with my very specific requests that were somehow miscommunicated to the in-house tailor the first time or two. They made me write down exactly what alterations I wanted made and sign the specifications with the tailor. The entire process took about two or three weeks, I think. Phew!

bwsuit01.jpg

bwsuit02.jpg

Looking at these pictures makes me realize just how formless jackets in general appear to be today. In the future, I will complete this outfit with a black fedora. I wonder why this plain-black gabardine suit cost slightly more than the grey and brown patterened suits that I had also examined.

Speaking of the color grey, though, here is one of my early attempts at dressing up. The suit in this picture has since broken down. The fabric below the zipper just flaked off one day!

oldgreysuit01.jpg

One of these days, I have got to get my netcam into as good a position as it was in when I had taken the above picture.

Daniel Riser

A-List Customer
Hey WildRoot. There's a guy my age in that pic you showed of everyone in double breasteds. The guy sitting next to you. Was he at Maxwell DeMille's Hollywood Air Raid that Lauren and I met you guys at several months ago? I thought I talked shop with him because he was wearing a navy blue double breasted from the early forties. He told me his favorite era was Sinatra fifties. Just wondering.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ