Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

Daniel Riser

A-List Customer
Actually I was pretending to be a flamboyant art director during the big studio days!

I love that thirties striped shirt. Where are the other pictures honey? (Lauren not WildRoot)

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Ok, here's the pics as promised. Now I gotta get him to do some for me ;)
dan03.jpg

dan04.jpg

dan05.jpg

dan06.jpg

dan07.jpg

dan08.jpg

dan09.jpg

dan10.jpg

Daniel Riser

A-List Customer
Here's the specs:

First Picture

Early 40s high waisted trousers, late 30's spectators, late 30's suit jacket, Lauren Henline tailored shirt from 1934 pattern, mid thirties collar bar, late 30s tie, and mid 20s handkerchief.

Second Picture

The same except the shirt is modern, the hat is a mid to late thirties Borsalino and the sunglasses are from 1931.

Third Picture

Double Breasted Kuppenheimer suit from the late 30s - early 40s. Mid to late 30s green striped shirt, "Crosby" model pipe, mid 30s tie and an extra pair of trousers from the suit in the above two pics. This was to fake the funny pics in all the vintage catalogues where the boys are holding an extra pair of trousers from their "four piece" suit. The Double Breasted suit went to a new home (Bogie1943) when we were filming in Scotland.

Fourth Picture

Lauren found this double breasted (Nov 1941 just before WWII) tuxedo for $3. It fit me like it was made for me. The shirt is a deadstock mid 30's arrow and the tie is a you-tie-yourself modern silk one I found on ebay.

Sixth Picture

The shoes are deadstock buckskin (it is really hard to find size 12 vintage) shoes from the mid 30s. Got em for $20 at the last Vintage Expo. The trousers are from my Palm Beach double breasted suit that Lauren posted earlier, and the jacket is from a, dated 1927, three button suit and vest. I purchased it from Art Fawcett at the beginning of the last show. Sadly someone stole the matching trousers from this dead stock 20s suit while they were trying them on. It is a shame, but luckily it goes very well with my palm beach trousers. The tie is my favorite tie in my collection. It's a mid 30's no-lined tie that screams art deco. I have to force myself not to wear it exclusively for the sake of keeping it intact.

Eighth Picture

This is the completed suit from the above two pics. I found this suit at a flea market. It was deadstock, the trousers were unhemmed. I paid $30 for the jacket and trousers (the seller separated them thinking he would make more selling them individually) when I got home I discovered that a vest had been stuffed into the sleeve, it was the matching vest. It fit me perfect. It's late 30's, absolutely flawless condition and it is my favorite suit.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
great photos, great suits

The green stripe shirt in the fifth picture and the tie in the sixth picture are, uh, interesting.
Now the tuxedo and three-piece suit are just my style.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Daniel Riser

A-List Customer
Thanks for the compliments guys.

Rob... for you to say you like the threads... well ... that is a compliment that haunts me. I've seen your closet. You have suits and ties that I thought could only be fabricated in a perfect dream.

Daniel Riser

A-List Customer
I have obsessive compulsive disorder. You will never see me (unless in a film for deliberate reasons) with that bottom button ... ahem ... unbuttoned. It isn't a matter of accuracy it's a matter of prescription drugs. :cool:

And here's someone who agrees with me.

P87-009-846aN-1.JPG

Daniel Riser

A-List Customer
I think I have a vintage suit for him. It's really small. It isn't with me so I have to send a few emails and see if I can get it, but I think he'd like it.

I can safely say that I had a lot to do with his liking Indiana Jones. I feel bad that I was always there when you guys couldn't make it, and never there when you guys could.

Trickeration

Practically Family
Chris is still a big Indy fan. I'm sure he'd like a vintage suit from you. But no worries if you can't turn it up. Katharine watches old movies with me all the time, and has a pretty decent vintage wordrobe now. She's 14 now (I'm the mother of a teenager :eek: ), and Chris is 11. Both swing dance occasionally, too!

Rob and I are still with the big band, too. We play all the time up here. Rob Smith and Joseph come out to a lot of the shows, and are really fun dance partners. You and Lauren should come up sometime and see the band. She seems really nice, by the way. I'm looking forward to meeting her.

It's okay about our not managing to be in the same place at the same time. It's seems like we've all got pretty crazy schedules nowadays. At least we'll meet up at the QM. I'm gonna go now. Katharine wants me to take her picture and post it so you can see her now, too. :)

Trix

Daniel Riser

A-List Customer
For those FL members who are wondering how we are connected. We both went to the same church in San Diego for several years. This poor gal had to deal with my nosing through their books and catalogues all the time.

Do you still have those 30's store catalogues? I remember tediously opening and closing pages, I was so nervous I would destroy something that has been intact for 65 years.

oh yeah...

Has Chris seen this little website:

www.indygear.com

Tell him to check out the Club Obi Wan forum. I have spent years on that board. That is where I first introduced my Indiana Jones shirts. Remember those? Chris would probably love to come to the QM on Saturday so he can see everyone in IndyGear and he could go whipcracking with everyone. There are a lot of really good people on that board. A lot of them post back and forth.

I need to take pics too. I've got more suits to post. I've been feeding this suit animinal and it's getting very fat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner