Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

Johnnysan

One Too Many
...as a younger man, my dates never greeted me at the door with a gun, but a few of their fathers probably gave it more than passing consideration! Bravery aside, a 1928 Thompson with a 100-round drum would certainly have alleviated my interest in some of them. YIKES! ;)

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Motivation to "do good" ...

Johnnysan said:
... but a few of their fathers probably gave it more than passing consideration ...

My daughter's date is the little guy between Dad and Big Brother. Need I say more? :)

Prom_2.jpg

shamus

Suspended
Root is that the colorado bridge? I drive past it but never on it. It's really one of the most beautiful bridges in Southern Cal.

Wild Root

Gone Home
No, it's not that bridge. I took this one that is off of a small street that's kind of hard to find. It's almost as old as the Colorado Bridge; I love that bridge and feel it's one of the most graceful structures in Pasadena.

Root.

Wild Root

Gone Home
The Jitterbug.

1161642img9ti.jpg

This is a photo of me in my 1940's sport jacket and my dark brown pants. The two tones are the 1946 Nun-Bush.

1161637img2kr.jpg

Now, here's one with a tie. This tie is a late 40's western styled tie that one can see James Stewart wear in the 1946 film "Magic Town". It is a wool blend with real leather stitching!

More to come,

Root.

sandysot

New in Town
1940's Hickey Freeman Suit?

Just got this suit from a local thrift.Its got some indications of a 40s vintage and some not so 40s.Label marked 1942 or 1948 .Heavy wool fabric,high armpits, jacket has single seam under arm,no front seam,old large tooth metal Talon zipper, change pocket, 2" cuffs and french taped seams.Slope shouldered minmal padding 44l and 40"waist with 30" inseam.Is this a post WWII late 40s vintage suit.Need as much input as I can get.Thanks.
suit1.jpg
[/IMG]
suit2.jpg
[/IMG]
suit3.jpg
[/IMG]
suit4.jpg
[/IMG]
suit5.jpg
[/IMG]
Thanks

Wild Root

Gone Home
Well friend, you're looking at a late 50's or early 60's suit. The union tag reads Copyright 1949. The cut of the coat and the label tells me that it could be from 1955 to 1962 or so.

You're getting closer! It is vintage but, not 40's. ;)

Root.

PS. GREAT PHOTOS! Very detailed indeed! You should sale on ebay. ;)

sandysot

New in Town
Matt & Root:
Thanks to both you for the I.D. aid. I noticed the lapels but didnt think it through to the late 50s "Man in The Gray Flannel Suit" period.And the pants dont have suspender buttons inside either.It is beautiful fabric and well made with some hand work.Dont know what I'll do with it though.Too warm to wear in Florida and a bit too large on my 179 lb. frame (Matt-Im down from 195 on an every other day fasting regimen).Oh yes- I checked and found that John Wanamakers Mens Store in Phil. closed and was renamed as a bank building in 1952-so if this is later it must be a New York suit.

Wild Root

Gone Home
No sweat man. Happy to help. You know, I have seen plenty of 50's and 60's suits with suspender buttons in them. Also have seen 30's and 40's suits with out them. Just depends on the man's taste that had it first. ;)

Root.

shamus

Suspended
Why are we shunning a great vintage suit? Just because it's not from the 40's is no reason to get rid of a great suit. They still wore a fedora with 1950 and 1960 suits.

In fact I just picked up a great early 60's suit that some of my shorter brim fedoras are going to look great with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav