Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

bchin415

New in Town
I still consider myself an amateur with suits but how much movement is considered a normal amount? I have my Magnoli suit from a few months ago and it does feel incredibly slimming, though when I move my arms in certain ways (for example.. putting your hand on your cheek or reaching toward your back) enough it makes me feel a bit uncomfortable enough to think that I may rip something. Just seeing if I should pay another visit to the tailor.

Also, has anyone heard of Pierre Cardin suits? I recently found a double breasted suit with four buttons in what seems like a charcoal grey made out of a material that I can't quite put my finger on. I'll try to put up pictures shortly.

EDIT: Here are the pictures of the suit itself
IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

And here are some with me wearing it. I couldn't find a proper place to take it with the self timer so I could not get a full shot.
IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Levallois

Practically Family
New acquisition - union tag is sewn in so date cannot be read but based on what I've read here and elsewhere about these tags it was made 1949 or before. I don't have enough experience to guess if it's later 40s, early 40s or what? Would anyone like to take a guess? Thanks for looking.

1940ssuit2.jpg

1940ssuit7.jpg

1940ssuit10.jpg

1940ssuit.jpg

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
That's either a '36 or '39 union tag so the suit is definitely pre-'49. Looks late '30s to early '40s to me. Nice find, does it fit?

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I still consider myself an amateur with suits but how much movement is considered a normal amount? I have my Magnoli suit from a few months ago and it does feel incredibly slimming, though when I move my arms in certain ways (for example.. putting your hand on your cheek or reaching toward your back) enough it makes me feel a bit uncomfortable enough to think that I may rip something. Just seeing if I should pay another visit to the tailor.

Also, has anyone heard of Pierre Cardin suits? I recently found a double breasted suit with four buttons in what seems like a charcoal grey made out of a material that I can't quite put my finger on. I'll try to put up pictures shortly.

IMG_0001.jpg

The Cardin suit is modern, although I'm not sure from what decade. Is there no inside label containing the composition breakdown? Perhaps it is a poly/wool blend...

Regarding movement in a suit, it varies depending on styling (Bold Look vs. Italian cut, for example), but at any rate you should be able to at least put your hand to your cheek without feeling like you're going to split a seam.

Bugsy

One Too Many

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

And here are some with me wearing it. I couldn't find a proper place to take it with the self timer so I could not get a full shot.
IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

Pierre Cardin was pretty popular about 20-30 years ago. You have made a wonderful find. Also, it's so nice to welcome another Lounge member in Northern California.

Jingo Mastapone

Familiar Face
Great suit, Levallois! It looks like the previous owner got fat and had to move the buttons over a bit. I have a couple DBs that came that way as well...

MissMittens

One Too Many
My new suit. Looks late 30's to me (pre-war). Not familiar with the maker, sp I looked it up:

The RICHMAN BROTHERS CO. manufactured and sold men's suits, furnishings, and hats, supplying a national network of stores from its 23-acre tailoring plant and offices at 1600 E. 55th St. The firm began in 1879 when Henry Richman moved his manufacturing and wholesale clothing business to Cleveland from Portsmouth, OH. In 1907 the company took its present form when the founder's sons, Nathan, Charles, and Henry, opened retail outlets selling factory-produced men's clothing directly to customers, the first clothier to do so. All suits were priced at $10 until 1939 when men's furnishings and hats were added to the line.

Richman was a pioneer in innovative employee relations. Executives greeted employees by name, their birthdays were remembered, and there were no time clocks. It was the first industrial organization in the country to grant 2-week (later 3-week) paid vacations to all employees, and its company-paid benefits program and no-interest loans set an industry precedent.

IMG_9327.JPG

Last edited:

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
My new suit. Looks late 30's to me (pre-war). Not familiar with the maker, sp I looked it up:

The RICHMAN BROTHERS CO. manufactured and sold men's suits, furnishings, and hats, supplying a national network of stores from its 23-acre tailoring plant and offices at 1600 E. 55th St. The firm began in 1879 when Henry Richman moved his manufacturing and wholesale clothing business to Cleveland from Portsmouth, OH. In 1907 the company took its present form when the founder's sons, Nathan, Charles, and Henry, opened retail outlets selling factory-produced men's clothing directly to customers, the first clothier to do so. All suits were priced at $10 until 1939 when men's furnishings and hats were added to the line.

Richman was a pioneer in innovative employee relations. Executives greeted employees by name, their birthdays were remembered, and there were no time clocks. It was the first industrial organization in the country to grant 2-week (later 3-week) paid vacations to all employees, and its company-paid benefits program and no-interest loans set an industry precedent.

IMG_9327.JPG

Great-looking suit! Does look late '30s. Thanks also for the history. I have one Richman suit and one sport coat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner