Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
I recently picked up this ventless 1950s "fleck" sportscoat for $3 at Goodwill.

DSCN0569.jpg

DSCN0572.jpg

DSCN0570.jpg

DSCN0574.jpg

DSCN0575.jpg

Marty M.

Vendor
Blue in Florida.

Baron Kurtz said:
what do you mean by "bent arms"? You mean the curve from shoulder-elbow-wrist? If so, take a pic of youself side-on with no jacket. Your arm curves like this.

Jovan, the Baron is right about this. When I measure people for the Jacket Sleeve inseam, I do it with the natural curve of a persons arm (I never force a persons arm straight down). You personally have very sloping and forward pitched shoulders (my guess is that you were/are very athletic & probably left handed), this is why your hands roll toward the front.
I like how the sleeve length fits you. If anything I'd move the left down less then a 1/4". I know that you're about 6' 1/2" tall. What size is this suit? 41L? Any idea who the maker is?
Marty Mathis

belmondo

New in Town
Looking good, Jovan. The suit looks much better on you than in the ebay photos. I bet the seller used a weird mannequin or stand or something. Lapels looks good, shoulders look good, trousers even look good to my taste (I like short trou). Congrats on the first vintage job.

Jovan

Suspended
Marty M. said:
Jovan, the Baron is right about this. When I measure people for the Jacket Sleeve inseam, I do it with the natural curve of a persons arm (I never force a persons arm straight down). You personally have very sloping and forward pitched shoulders (my guess is that you were/are very athletic & probably left handed), this is why your hands roll toward the front.
I like how the sleeve length fits you. If anything I'd move the left down less then a 1/4". I know that you're about 6' 1/2" tall. What size is this suit? 41L? Any idea who the maker is?
Marty Mathis
If you had clicked the link... ;) It's a 39R. The shoulders fit perfectly, though I measure just a smidge under 38". It's made by "Kaufman's Fifth Avenue, Pittsburgh." Don't let the photos fool you, I'm right handed and ectomorphic, never been athletic apart from biking everywhere. :) Looking at my natural stance, I think I could take both the sleeves down just a tad. Maybe 1/4-1/2" at most.

belmondo: The only time I might try that is with cotton khakis. Otherwise I think it looks untidy.

Thanks for the help. :)

Rooster

Practically Family
The suit looks great kid. I'd leave the sleeves alone and let the pant cuffs down a bit. Otherwise it's fine.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Jovan said:
One odd detail is the slightly bent arms. Does anyone have something like this on their suit, or is just an old time feature I never knew about?
Well, it is an old time feature as it's the way sleeves have been cut forever. ;)

BTW, the suit looks good on you.

One note: I can't tell from the pic if the trousers are cuffed but if they are and you wish to keep them (after lengthening) find a tailor who's familiar with a tailoring technique called a French cuff.

Jovan

Suspended
What exactly is that?

They are cuffed, but I'm having the mother do it. She's done it before, quite well in fact. I'm going to learn how to do it from her soon, since it's easier to do such simple alterations on your own. As far as the bent arms, I guess I didn't notice it until now. Perhaps it's the more solid fabric that makes it show more compared to my modern suit.

Marty M.

Vendor
ok, now I need to know.

Jovan said:
If you had clicked the link... ;) It's a 39R. The shoulders fit perfectly, though I measure just a smidge under 38". It's made by "Kaufman's Fifth Avenue, Pittsburgh." Don't let the photos fool you, I'm right handed and ectomorphic, never been athletic apart from biking everywhere. :) Looking at my natural stance, I think I could take both the sleeves down just a tad. Maybe 1/4-1/2" at most.
Thanks for the help. :)

Hi Jovan, I like the fit of the shoulders and chest of the coat. It's hard to tell by the picture, but the length looks ok. So how can a six footer wear a 39reg coat? Is it really a reg? Do you know the length from the felt under the back of the collar to the bottom of the coat? I did click on the link, all I saw was a picture of the coat [huh] .
Marty Mathis

Marty M.

Vendor
Tomasso said:
Well, it is an old time feature as it's the way sleeves have been cut forever. ;)

BTW, the suit looks good on you.

One note: I can't tell from the pic if the trousers are cuffed but if they are and you wish to keep them (after lengthening) find a tailor who's familiar with a tailoring technique called a French cuff.

This is great advice :eusa_clap .
Marty Mathis

kbadr

Familiar Face
Scored this on eBay a few days after Xmas. It's a thick tweed-y wool. Has a label that says it was made in Indonesia. Fits rather well...and it was $5.

suit1.png

Jovan

Suspended
Marty M. said:
Hi Jovan, I like the fit of the shoulders and chest of the coat. It's hard to tell by the picture, but the length looks ok. So how can a six footer wear a 39reg coat? Is it really a reg? Do you know the length from the felt under the back of the collar to the bottom of the coat? I did click on the link, all I saw was a picture of the coat [huh] .
Marty Mathis
It didn't list the size or anything? Should have, it said so when I bid on it. Basically I went by the measurements they provided.

A 3 piece suit made in 1940 for a certain Mr. Takeo Mitsurnaga in San Jose, CA. This is one of the more interesting suits i have in that it is almost a 50/50 mixture of features from British and American suits. It is undoubtedly in the American style, but all the tailoring was done, it would seem, by a British tailor (well, Irish, but i'm sure they are in the British tradition). The trousers (not shown) are perfect british trousers of the era. Quite high waisted with two forward facing ("English") pleats. The jacket interior (excepting the lining fabric) bears all the hallmarks of a British jacket - one breast pocket on the right and a smaller ticket or pen pocket lower down on the left.

IrishTailor1.jpg

The waistcoat is a little small for my mannequin.

IrishTailor2.jpg

IrishTailor3.jpg

Striped arm lining and a piece of grey flannel at each armpit for the sweat guard.

IrishTailor4.jpg

IrishTailor5.jpg

IrishTailor6.jpg

bk

mike

Call Me a Cab
late 40's three piece brown herringbone suit (& in some pictures, a double RL sweater vest) and a brand new el pachuco shirt. Opinions welcomed! :)

DSCN1544.jpg

DSCN1542.jpg

DSCN1545.jpg

DSCN1548.jpg

DSCN1549.jpg

DSCN1551.jpg

DSCN1550.jpg

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mike, are those pants cuffed? I can't tell. If not, did you uncuff them to lengthen them?

Looking sharp altogether. Love the generous width of the pants -- as pants of that era should have.

GBR

One of the Regulars
Baron Kurtz said:
A 3 piece suit made in 1940 for a certain Mr. Takeo Mitsurnaga in San Jose, CA. This is one of the more interesting suits i have in that it is almost a 50/50 mixture of features from British and American suits. It is undoubtedly in the American style, but all the tailoring was done, it would seem, by a British tailor (well, Irish, but i'm sure they are in the British tradition). The trousers (not shown) are perfect british trousers of the era. Quite high waisted with two forward facing ("English") pleats. The jacket interior (excepting the lining fabric) bears all the hallmarks of a British jacket - one breast pocket on the right and a smaller ticket or pen pocket lower down on the left.

The waistcoat is a little small for my mannequin.

bk

Did the trousers have a single back pocket (flap or button/hole) and the larger English style watch pocket

mike

Call Me a Cab
Doran said:
Mike, are those pants cuffed? I can't tell. If not, did you uncuff them to lengthen them?

Looking sharp altogether. Love the generous width of the pants -- as pants of that era should have.

they were cuffed, but they had to be lengthened as much as possible & even had a bit of extra material added to the inside. Can you tell..?!
thanks for the compliments guys! what do you think of the shirt? it's cheap & new!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace