Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Well, here's my new suit. I'd been waiting until my new Keppler came in before I posted. It's double breasted, but not pinstriped, just a wide plaid sorta criss-crossed pattern. Not sure what to call it. My students call it my gangster look.:cool2: I don't think they're referring to "gangstas."

Brad Bowers

Wild Root

Gone Home
That?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s a nice suit Brad. The pattern you chose is a good one. Pinstripes are over done in some ways. It?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s refreshing to see something different.

I believe that the pattern of your suit is called Window Pane. That is what I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ve heard it being called and that?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s what other clothing experts I know have called it.

I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m a fan of that pattern because it looks so 30?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s to me. Pinstripes are really cool, but right off the bat people think mobster. The ?¢‚Ǩ?ìWindow Pane?¢‚Ǩ? has a more sporty and friendly look.

I don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t have a Fotki account yet, but when I do, I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ll post some photos of my Window Pane suit.

By the way, that is a good looking hat. It really suits you. Is it vintage?

Take care.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, I knew there had to be a name for the pattern!

Nope, not a vintage hat. Just my new Keppler Bogie.

Brad Bowers

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Summertime

outdoors-vi.jpg

5-vi.jpg

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Originally posted by Wild Root
Ah ha! Cool bro! I'm telling you man, that looks so 40's!

See ya,

I'd love to go for that 30's summer look, though I don't have the gear for it yet.

I need to get myself a panama... I saw Art wearing a nice high crowned one at a previous vintage expo, though I'll probably take a trip to his shop before I have one made just so I can describe what I want in person... still don't know if I want a seem going over the top or not for Rollability.

What I want is a nice 3 button linen suit or a seersucker.

Bogie1943

Practically Family
That is a really nice looking suit my friend. If you were standing next to a nice vintage car I would swear that you were straight out of the era. Summer is a really great time for vintage clothing if I do say so myself. The great light summer colors really look, well, kinda 1940's LA to me.:cool2:

Wild Root

Gone Home
Oh yeah Matt! The Hollywood look is where it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s at! When I said that your linen coat and brown pants look 40?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s that?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s what I meant is that they look very Hollywood. Especially with that palm tree tie!

Bogie, if you like the photos of Matt that I took, you should see the good job he did. He took some photos of me in my AAF WWII Officer?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s uniform. Check it out!

http://public.fotki.com/Rob1939/wwii/

Hope you like,

Cheers.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Hello STHill thank you for your complements! I take pride in making new photos look old. It?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s a passion of mine that I like to do with Photoshop. Well, it also helps to have the collection to do it with as well :D

So, you?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢re new to the Lounge? That?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s cool. I welcome you! Tell us about your self a little. What do you really like about hats? Do you collect other things from the 20?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s to 50?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s? Let us know.

Thanks again!

schwammy

Familiar Face
It has been very entertaining looking at all these handsome swells in their suits and hats. I'm struck by the fact that so far, most everyone seems to favor a double-breasted suit and an Indy fedora. (I am no exception.) But this combination has never looked quite right on me - and I think it's because the Indy hats are too wide brimmed and untapered to really pass as a genuine 1930s or 1940s dress fedora. There's just a slight touch of the cowboy in the blocking and the raw-edged brim. And I always though Harrison Ford wore his hat too squarely on his head to really look accurate to the period. Seems like genuine fedoraphiles always had them cocked at a rakish angle.

Is it just me?

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Matt, I love the hat!!

Matt, just a big THANK-YOU, for posting those pics of yours. You really 'live' the 30's/40's.

What type and make is the hat by the way? and WHERE, do you manage to pick up all those oldie/vintage clothes? (I'm a real newbie to the civvie clothes scene).

Thanks again Matt!

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Thanks.

The hat is a new one from Optimo in Chicago, they make the closest I know to vintage quality. It's a tobacco brown with a bound edge and 6 inch crown... It's become my daily.

It takes alot of searching at vintage shops to find cool clothes, pretty much all but the tie is new in the pic with the linen jacket.

I started out with hats and the style sort of worked its way down, I have to work on the militaria since I have always went for the Civilian look, especially 30's.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t worry bud, I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ll help you build your vintage up!

Soon, you?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ll not have enough room in your closet! Just give it time.

Paddy, if you want any help in building knowledge in vintage civilian clothes, I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m always happy to help out!

The photo I attached is of me and a good friend of mine on the Queen Marry. She's wearing a 100% vintage gown from the 30's. She's a member of the LA Art Deco Society. I'm in a 1930's suit and it is one of my favorites!

Good night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko