Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

rjb1

Practically Family
I really(!) wish I could find that set for $3.99 (or several times that). Those were the days when country music was real music.
As a Nashvillian, I used to work right over the hill from The Ryman Auditorium shown on the front of the cases and walked past it several times a week. (Met Marty Robbins and Bill Monroe once upon a time, also pictured on the cases.)
All those in the DVD's were Golden Era performers.

Mark B.

One of the Regulars
Certainly not a vintage item but the subject matter of this DVD set qualifies as vintage- country music videos from the days when country music was something different than the 70's rock with a drawl they call country today. I found this set for $3.99 at the local thrift.
opryclassicsQuicke-mailview.jpg
Great find......... and like you say...real country music.....I like the 70's rock with a drawl line.......will be using that in the future:D:eusa_clap

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
I stopped at a neighborhood estate sale Sunday, just for a peek, and came away with this glasses case & two printed lens cloths.

7363657386_22510540c0.jpg

Also, this lovely silk robe. $1 each.

7178434879_a4cd4724bb.jpg

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
^ I too love those ashtrays. My husband uses them when he smokes (cigars & pipes), and I like to use them around the house as "catch-alls" for small things like change or jewelry.

Certainly not a vintage item but the subject matter of this DVD set qualifies as vintage- country music videos from the days when country music was something different than the 70's rock with a drawl they call country today. I found this set for $3.99 at the local thrift.
opryclassicsQuicke-mailview.jpg

So not fair!!!! What an awesome find!

Sled Dog

Familiar Face
Found this small leather pouch at the thrift store today
pencil1.jpg

pencil2.jpg

Inside it was what I thought might be a pen...
pencil3.jpg

From the corrosion on the snap and the wear on the leather, it would appear that it has been in this case for a long time
pencil4.jpg

It turned out to be a very thin mechanical pencil, no writing, numbers or any other clue to where or when it was made..
pencil5.jpg

Sure looks like the outer part of the pencil is gold, probably plated or gold filled but there is no sign of a base metal showing through..you can see the corrosion on the brass end
pencil6.jpg

Was wondering if anyone has any idea of the age of this old pencil...at least I assume its old, sure has that feel :)
Thx
pencil7.jpg

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I've seen a LOT of old pencils (I know a lady who collects Victorian and Georgian mechanical pencils), and I've seen a lot of modern ones, too.

I'd say this is a pretty modern one. Certainly no further back than the 1940s or 50s in my book.

Sled Dog

Familiar Face
I've seen a LOT of old pencils (I know a lady who collects Victorian and Georgian mechanical pencils), and I've seen a lot of modern ones, too.

I'd say this is a pretty modern one. Certainly no further back than the 1940s or 50s in my book.

Thanks very much for the quick reply! A 60-70 year old pencil in a leather case is pretty good for a quarter! :)

I smoke my pipe in the house, but mostly use these for 'catch-alls' too. I always have to explain to new visitors that they cannot smoke in there, even though there is ashtrays. That's always complex lol

^ I too love those ashtrays. My husband uses them when he smokes (cigars & pipes), and I like to use them around the house as "catch-alls" for small things like change or jewelry.

DNO

One Too Many
Recent finds of vintage china, courtesy of local thrift shops:

A nice Grimwades chintz tray. I have a whole tea set in this pattern and this will be a perfect tray for the milk and sugar.

Wintontray.png

And our fifth (maybe our sixth) set, in this case 8 place settings of Grindley's "The Clairmont"

Grindley.png

Grindleymark.png

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters