Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

You don't see these 'cut-corner' Stromberg-Carlsons too often!

GEDC0153.jpg

I was excited to find this beige 1961 WE 500 with extra long handset cord. I really like the soft-center dial and the alphanumeric phone number on it, as well. I put the silver handset cover on it, had one laying around and looks good in the display case like that.

GEDC0154.jpg

I can't get my beige one to work. Looks like it is boat anchor time for it. :p

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
You don't see these 'cut-corner' Stromberg-Carlsons too often!

GEDC0153.jpg

I was excited to find this beige 1961 WE 500 with extra long handset cord. I really like the soft-center dial and the alphanumeric phone number on it, as well. I put the silver handset cover on it, had one laying around and looks good in the display case like that.

GEDC0154.jpg

Those are beautiful Tom! You have a very good eye for these things. I'm hoping to find a vintage phone here for our new home (one that I don't have to do much work with - there are some lovely ones on Etsy but they are either French or from the US so not sure they'd work here) - fingers crossed I find what I'm looking for!

Thank you! I've got a few phone-collecting friends who deal with international phones, perhaps I can find one for you at a good price. I'll keep my eyes and ears open.

Those are beautiful Tom! You have a very good eye for these things. I'm hoping to find a vintage phone here for our new home (one that I don't have to do much work with - there are some lovely ones on Etsy but they are either French or from the US so not sure they'd work here) - fingers crossed I find what I'm looking for!

randooch

I'll Lock Up
How's this for a vintage kitchen oddity?

After you slip the gizmo onto a bottle's top lip, the knurled knob on top tightens the rubber seal against the glass.

I love overly elaborate gadgets! :)

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
For $65 at a junk-shop today, my father and I purchased this:

IMG_1164.jpg

IMG_1165.jpg

It was sold to us as a ca. 1935 hat-box.

Structurally, it's in good condition...

IMG_1167.jpg

IMG_1169.jpg

But it is rather dusty and grimy. How best to clean it for use as originally purposed? And to what extent should it be cleaned up?

IMG_1166.jpg

Father and I are doing a lot of globetrotting mid-year. Singapore, London, Spain, Edinburgh, Malaysia, etc, etc, etc.

We would like to take it with us, to hold our hats, when we go overseas.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Is *that* what it reads on the top? "WELLINGTON"? I couldn't figure out what the label originally said. I think you're right!

The typing on the other label is rather faint, but it reads:

"FROM: CHRISTCHURCH"
"TO: AUCKLAND".

I've vacuumed the box to suck out the dust and crap inside, and we've given it a light scrubbing with a damp cloth to remove some of the dust and grime, but we haven't touched anything else. I've squirted three or four drops of oil into the front latch. The one you see in this photograph:

IMG_1165.jpg

It's action was originally very stiff. It now slides back and forth smoothly without any issues. Other than that, we haven't touched it. Perhaps I should put a hat into the box and photograph it to show scale?

Does anyone have any idea about how old this box might be? The man who sold it to us said it was from the 1930s. Would this be consistent with what's in the photographs?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Espasoner