Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

I picked up a pair of grandfather clocks today. One from a "Buy Sell Trade" Facebook page, and the other from Craigslist.

The curio one is just a battery operated movement, but makes for a nice, lighted curio cabinet.

The weight driven Ridgeway was a complete basket case when I picked it up today. One of the weights was in pieces, all the chains were wound so tightly to the top, you couldn't get the weights off, and the thing was just an overall mess. I was able to fix everything on it without spending any money, except for the fact that I need a new suspension spring. I'm hoping the clock shop has one and I can have her up and running after work tomorrow.

I've always thought a house wasn't a home until it had a grandfather clock. My house is finally a home.

20150301_210107_zpsbb0i38j9.jpg

20150301_210130_zpsmqqkkwgi.jpg

I picked up a pair of grandfather clocks today. One from a "Buy Sell Trade" Facebook page, and the other from Craigslist.

The curio one is just a battery operated movement, but makes for a nice, lighted curio cabinet.

The weight driven Ridgeway was a complete basket case when I picked it up today. One of the weights was in pieces, all the chains were wound so tightly to the top, you couldn't get the weights off, and the thing was just an overall mess. I was able to fix everything on it without spending any money, except for the fact that I need a new suspension spring. I'm hoping the clock shop has one and I can have her up and running after work tomorrow.

I've always thought a house wasn't a home until it had a grandfather clock. My house is finally a home.

20150301_210107_zpsbb0i38j9.jpg

20150301_210130_zpsmqqkkwgi.jpg

Nice finds!

kampkatz

Practically Family
My parents had a grandfather clock that looked almost identical to the Ridgeway. After they passed away my brother sold the clock to someone near-by since we all lived too far away to economically transport it. May you have many years of enjoying its pleasant sounds.

Thank you!

Nice finds!

That's a shame. Always a shame to see things like that get sold off.

I am looking forward to hearing it chime finally, once I finish fixing it. Waiting on a suspension spring.

Ironically enough, all the other clocks in my house are chiming, at the moment. I'm a bit of a clock collector, and I'd bet I have around fifty of them.

My parents had a grandfather clock that looked almost identical to the Ridgeway. After they passed away my brother sold the clock to someone near-by since we all lived too far away to economically transport it. May you have many years of enjoying its pleasant sounds.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Thank you!

That's a shame. Always a shame to see things like that get sold off.

I am looking forward to hearing it chime finally, once I finish fixing it. Waiting on a suspension spring.

Ironically enough, all the other clocks in my house are chiming, at the moment. I'm a bit of a clock collector, and I'd bet I have around fifty of them.

Good thing you have several clocks that chime, you will sleep well! I remember when I inherited my Grandmother Clock. The first night I thought I was going to go insane, chiming every quarter hour! I got used to it, until one night, I woke up, looked around, nothing, so I went back to sleep. This went on twice more, then I realized, I was waking up on the quarter hour because the clock had stopped, and I was not hearing the chimes!

Hahaha! Isn't it funny how we get accustomed to things like that?

Good thing you have several clocks that chime, you will sleep well! I remember when I inherited my Grandmother Clock. The first night I thought I was going to go insane, chiming every quarter hour! I got used to it, until one night, I woke up, looked around, nothing, so I went back to sleep. This went on twice more, then I realized, I was waking up on the quarter hour because the clock had stopped, and I was not hearing the chimes!

Thank you!

Nice scores, Tom. I love the phone!

lol I have a LOT of beer steins. My grandfather collected them for years, and I was lucky enough to end up with some of them, as well!

Great weekend, Tom!!
Now you can have your own Oktoberfest.

Not sure how old it is! The lady I got the grandmother clock said she was young when her parents bought it. She was in her seventies, at least. She said she had it in her possession, since 1958.

Nice! The last clock looks like a nice old one!

Thank you!

lol I have a LOT of beer steins. My grandfather collected them for years, and I was lucky enough to end up with some of them, as well!

Not sure how old it is! The lady I got the grandmother clock said she was young when her parents bought it. She was in her seventies, at least. She said she had it in her possession, since 1958.

Nice! That clock has been around then. It just had the right look for older and nice. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko