Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

Josephine

One Too Many
Does getting things from grandmothers count as yard sales? :) I received these 6 coasters which I want to put up on eBay. I like them, but my living room is green, red, and tan. They're 4.5" square. Any thoughts on when/where they are from?

Coaster.jpg

CoasterFlower1.jpg

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Score at Urban Ore

Normally, Urban Ore is better for architectural salvage and stuff like that , but for some reason on a recent trip I found all this!

l_7c5040fa661274904c16be3b2f8295ad.jpg

Ancient picnic basket $15
Lamp and shade, $5
Tea stand (sliver plated!) $4
Plastic and metal box purses $3 each :eek: I don't think they are really old, they look like reproductions to me. But nicely done!

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
Something I'd been looking for...

A vintage chenille bedspread for the guest bed. It doesn't really match the room, but as I'm moving to CA soon, that doesn't much matter... and the lack of coordination isn't too garish. What REALLY makes it great is that I pulled it out of the Goodwill AS-IS bins for $1.59/lb. **IT HAS BEEN WASHED SINCE THEN!!**

DSCF4121.jpg

BegintheBeguine

That's quite a find, pdxvintagette! The Salvation Army where I shop in Texas cleans the bedlinens first, seems like it's some sort of law, and ends up charging more for them than at KMart on sale, which is more than I can spend anyway, for just blah stuff. Of course we're going to clean things we buy, even new things; it amuses and irritiates me the silly expensive rules there are.
Just goes to show once n a while you get some treasures, supercheap.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Miss 1929 said:
Normally, Urban Ore is better for architectural salvage and stuff like that , but for some reason on a recent trip I found all this!

l_7c5040fa661274904c16be3b2f8295ad.jpg

Ancient picnic basket $15
Lamp and shade, $5
Tea stand (sliver plated!) $4
Plastic and metal box purses $3 each :eek: I don't think they are really old, they look like reproductions to me. But nicely done!

I am madly in love with that tea stand!! All my little cakes would fit so perfectly there! What a piece..

sixsexsix

Practically Family
BegintheBeguine said:
That's quite a find, pdxvintagette! The Salvation Army where I shop in Texas cleans the bedlinens first, seems like it's some sort of law, and ends up charging more for them than at KMart on sale, which is more than I can spend anyway, for just blah stuff. Of course we're going to clean things we buy, even new things; it amuses and irritiates me the silly expensive rules there are.
Just goes to show once n a while you get some treasures, supercheap.

I think it has something to do with laws concerning bedbugs. I know a lot of places in Europe you are not allowed to sell used mattresses for this reason (they must be burned!)

BegintheBeguine

I think you're right. There's a big label on each comforter or whatever that I guess says it's sanitized; when I see a $30 price tag for something I'm going to put down for the dogs to snooze on I stop reading.
At the local Salvation Army they have cheap linens, thank goodness.

I still can't get over that great chenille spread. :D :D

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
BegintheBeguine said:
I think you're right. There's a big label on each comforter or whatever that I guess says it's sanitized; when I see a $30 price tag for something I'm going to put down for the dogs to snooze on I stop reading.
At the local Salvation Army they have cheap linens, thank goodness.

I still can't get over that great chenille spread. :D :D

Well, I think Goodwill here sprays everything - except the stuff that goes to the bins. I have some horror stories of digging in there, and getting more than I bargained for. But I've pulled 30's silk velvet out of there, and 40's eyelet lace, and a really special 1930's printed silk crepe blouse. Not to mentioned the beaded sweaters, cotton dresses ... etc. I'm glad to know that there's a thrifting/garage saling thread on the boards, in my mind, it is the best way to get vintage. Cheesy, but I feel like a heroic rescuer after pulling some delicate thing out of a heap. I should post some other pics of amazing thrift/garage sale rescues... or there may be too many, and perhaps pics should wait for future finds.

Miss 1929

Cupcakes, the new cheesecake, right?

Darhling said:
I am madly in love with that tea stand!! All my little cakes would fit so perfectly there! What a piece..

Now I must have a tea party! Wish you could come but it is a bit far...
The only item I am missing now is a kettle on a heating stand that goes with my tea set. I am a silver fiend, and always looking for more, more, more...

Miss 1929

What are these bins of which you speak?

pdxvintagette said:
Well, I think Goodwill here sprays everything - except the stuff that goes to the bins. I have some horror stories of digging in there, and getting more than I bargained for. But I've pulled 30's silk velvet out of there, and 40's eyelet lace, and a really special 1930's printed silk crepe blouse. Not to mentioned the beaded sweaters, cotton dresses ... etc. I'm glad to know that there's a thrifting/garage saling thread on the boards, in my mind, it is the best way to get vintage. Cheesy, but I feel like a heroic rescuer after pulling some delicate thing out of a heap. I should post some other pics of amazing thrift/garage sale rescues... or there may be too many, and perhaps pics should wait for future finds.
They don't let you buy anything here until they sort and tag it! I would be happy to risk the stains ans stuff it it meant actual vintage, you seldom see anything old at the Goodwill here.

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
Oh, the bins... that magical and frightening world...

The "Bins" or AS-IS, as they are known in your part of the world -- there's one in SF -- is the hole of the Goodwill's rejects. This can be anything they toss - because it is damaged, smells bad, someone in the back thought it was ugly, too old to sell, or simply because WAY too much came in that day, and they can't process it all.

So all the rejects go the bins - which is literally that. A big, warehouse type building with rows and rows of rollaway bins, sorted into GENERAL catagories ... linens & bedding,; clothes; books; glass & breakables; purses, backpacks, hats & accessories; shoes; technology; random strangeness.

Sometimes you go and find big fat nothin'. Other days, you walk away with (and this WAS one day)

1. Chenille bedspread - pictured above
2. 30's rayon crepe & silk velvet dress
3. Plus-size 40s rayon print dress (needs to go to the drycleaner)
4. 30's satin bias cut nightgown - my size, practically mint
5. Cotton 50's rockabilly top, some stains, came out with biz

You have to go early, and have to learn how to handle the massive competition and manners of the regulars. I go a couple times a week for a while, then burn out. But there are some ebayers who use it as their main source of stock, and the competition can be fierce!

In the past, my regular partner-in-crime and I have pulled out a 1920's beaded draw-string handbag (I don't know HOW it survived), dozen of bright vintage tablecloths, a Lilli Ann coat, men's gabardine trousers, a 1950's tailored wool suit - and I've got dealer friends who have rescued Edwardian and Victorian items, a 50's H Bar C embroided jacket, two piece rayon jersey hawaiian set...

... but the bins can be filthy. I once found a blanket with dried feces on it, and was next to a woman who found a plastic bag filled with dirty diapers (imagine if it had come open! :eek: ) Some years back, I had the misfortune to find a mouldering half-eaten sandwich. Gloves are advised, although I don't use them (sometimes texture is all you have to go on, as you're tossing through) - and the risk is worth the rewards!

Come up and play, I'll show ya' around. Not that I'll be here much longer. ;)

Jedburgh OSS

One of the Regulars
A John Steinbeck 1st edition

Almost didn't hit this yard sale last Saturday, July 5th, but it was open until 6:00 and I thought oh, why not. They had several books which I scanned through when I spied the spine of a book typical of the artwork and colors of the late '30s through the '40s. It was John Steinbeck's "Sea of Cortez," a first edition printed in December, 1941 for 50 cents. Let me repeat that...50 cents. My heart skipped a few beats as my shaking hands carried it to the table to pay for it, hoping she wouldn't notice my loss of voice and sweat-beaded forehead. Why the signs of a nervous conditon like a crackhead in need of meth? Look at this link http://www.antiqbook.com/boox/tel/14169.shtml Until I decide what to do with it, it's locked in a 500 pound antique safe that used to belong to the Railway Express Agency at a train depot in Hartford City, Indiana.

Vintage Betty

BegintheBeguine said:
Gee, ya coulda given her a buck for it, Eddie.

I don't know...didn't you try to bargain her down a bit? After all, it was a garage sale...maybe she would have taken .25? lol lol lol

If the book has such a high value, I would be sure to get the appropriate acid free storage materials (acid free box, etc) and a written appraisal plus an inclusion into your insurance policy.

Congrats on a great find!

Vintage Betty

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
Jedburgh OSS said:
Almost didn't hit this yard sale last Saturday, July 5th, but it was open until 6:00 and I thought oh, why not. They had several books which I scanned through when I spied the spine of a book typical of the artwork and colors of the late '30s through the '40s. It was John Steinbeck's "Sea of Cortez," a first edition printed in December, 1941 for 50 cents. Let me repeat that...50 cents. My heart skipped a few beats as my shaking hands carried it to the table to pay for it, hoping she wouldn't notice my loss of voice and sweat-beaded forehead. Why the signs of a nervous conditon like a crackhead in need of meth? Look at this link http://www.antiqbook.com/boox/tel/14169.shtml Until I decide what to do with it, it's locked in a 500 pound antique safe that used to belong to the Railway Express Agency at a train depot in Hartford City, Indiana.

Oh good lord. I made my living as a bookseller for six years without a find like that! CONGRATS! Vintage Betty has very good suggestions, and any appraisals/documentation will greatly help if you decide to auction it at some point.

That's truly a wonderful score. Post an actual pic when you get a chance!

Jedburgh OSS

One of the Regulars
A BUCK!!!

Are you trying to give me a heart attack? Besides the crowbar needed to open my wallet was at the dry cleaners. I'm a notorious skinflint, renowned in these parts. By the way, that's a lovely tune your named for, Mrs. BegintheBeguine.

Jedburgh OSS

One of the Regulars
Oh, there...now it's working

I must have been missing a step. Two out of the three posting websites no longer work; only photobucket does. Okay here it is. One of these without the dust jacket just went on eBay for $233.50. There's one on there now with a starting bid of $650. Easy, not everyone bid at once, please.
th_seaofcortez.jpg

Josephine

One Too Many
Jedburgh OSS said:
I can't get any of the photo posting options to work. I've followed the directions and just get a little box with a red x in it. What gives?

Is your picture hosted on a site like Flicker or Photobucket? You can't link to your own computer's drive or upload a pic directly to the Lounge.

Edit: Nevermind! ::in best Roseanne Roseannadanna voice::

Edit 2: wrong character! lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart