Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

freebird

Practically Family
Eyemo said:
Hey!.. I've got one of these...it's boxed up somwhere though.:)

I'm hunting for another one to use to complete this one lol. I still haven't found another one that has the same engine type though. I don't think that will matter, but still, seems unusual.

MaryDeluxe said:
Oh Cherry, I knew you would approve!!! lol Let me tell you those things are hard to find, I've been looking for one for a long time now! How's your place getting along??? Hope all is well!

LOL! Oh, yes, it is wonderful!

I have been working on my kitchen for the past few weeks. I am putting my cabinet doors back up now with new hardware. I still have the bottom ones to paint, and the floor ties to put down, but it is looking good. I can't wait to be finished!

Feraud

Bartender
Had a good score this weekend.
First is this new with tags Ralph Lauren shirt. It has a removable collar. MrBern, Shearer, and I think MrRover have this shirt.
DSC05602.jpg

Military shirt
DSC05578.jpg

DSC05584.jpg

DSC05581.jpg

DSC05580.jpg

This is the only label/marking on the shirt.
DSC05588.jpg

Also bought a pair of Allen Edmonds at a discounted price. They were neither thrifted nor found at a yard sale so I put them in the AE thread.

Warbaby

One Too Many
Got some great buys at the thrift shop this week:

A Tilley bush jacket in mint condition - I don't think it's even had it's first washing. These are over $200 bucks new and it was mine for $9.95!

jacket_tilley.JPG

A cashmere houndstooth jacket in cream, green and burgundy - also in mint condition. Got it for $1.50 on half-price day.

jacket_hound1.JPG

jacket_hound2.JPG

jacket_hound3.JPG

jacket_hound5.JPG

A Jack Fraser white linen blend DB jacket - also $1.50 on half-price day. I'm not sure how or where I'll wear this, but I couldn't pass it up at the price. I love the buttons - mother-of-pearl with gold-plated insets. Even if I decide the jacket isn't me, it was worth it for the nifty buttons.

j_linenDB1.jpg

j_linenDB2.jpg

I LOVE THIS THRIFT SHOP!

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
I walked away from a local garage sale with a food mill for $1 on Friday. It should be good for canning, and hopefully in the future, babyfood making.
I've also had some great scores at the estate sales of late, but I actually want to post pictures of those finds.

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
2673040688_cafc288b4b.jpg

I found some vintage nippon columbia co. Japanese records today.
They include such famous hits as...
Tokyo Boogie Woogie
My Dear Little Box
China Night
Hill of Pure Heart
Tokyo Shoe Shine Boy
Japanese Rumba
lol

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
99 cents!

I found this tie at the Salvation Army Thrift Shop, on 125th St in Harlem a couple of weeks ago. It was just too interesting to pass up. I think I've seen this pleated style before, as well as the little beads. I think maybe half the little beads have fallen off. And I'm pleased to see it originally came from Brooklyn. Can anyone tell me anything else about this tie? Does the style have a name?
Funnytie1.jpg

Funnytie3.jpg

Funnytielabel.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
Nice pleated tie dhermann! I've been wanting one of those for a while.
If you decide it is not to your taste, keep me in mind. :)
dhermann1 said:
I found this tie at the Salvation Army Thrift Shop, on 125th St in Harlem a couple of weeks ago. It was just too interesting to pass up. I think I've seen this pleated style before, as well as the little beads. I think maybe half the little beads have fallen off. And I'm pleased to see it originally came from Brooklyn. Can anyone tell me anything else about this tie? Does the style have a name?
Funnytie1.jpg

Funnytie3.jpg

Funnytielabel.jpg

Warbaby

One Too Many
dhermann1 said:
I found this tie at the Salvation Army Thrift Shop, on 125th St in Harlem a couple of weeks ago....

Very cool tie! I've never seen one of those - now I've gotta have one and my life will be unsettled and incomplete until I do (though I think the chances of finding a sharp pleated tie in Harlem are infinitely greater than here in the hinterlands of Vancouver Island).

Feraud

Bartender
Eyemo said:
Hey Feraud, thats an officers WW2 combat shirt you have there..
Thanks Eyemo. The shirt is in mint condition.
Too bad it is small on me. :rolleyes:
I was looking for exactly this shirt when in Reading. The weather was too hot to dig through wool.

RIOT

Practically Family
MaryDeluxe said:
2673040688_cafc288b4b.jpg

I found some vintage nippon columbia co. Japanese records today.
They include such famous hits as...
Tokyo Boogie Woogie
My Dear Little Box
China Night
Hill of Pure Heart
Tokyo Shoe Shine Boy
Japanese Rumba
lol

Hmm.. that collection would be perfect for Rebel Night!

RIOT

Practically Family
MaryDeluxe said:
So does this mean you're gonna DJ?? I'd pay to see that! ;)

Yeah why not. I have been known to have good musical taste. A rare appearance like that would cost you... a lot! ;)

Brinybay

Practically Family
Found some vintage sheet music in a thrift store near my place today. I knew nothing about sheet music, thought it would be of interest only to musicians. I did a quick research and found out sheet music is mostly collected for the cover art. Well, hell, I can do that, so I went back and picked out the more vintage and colorful ones. Eyemo has dibs on the WW2 "Buy War Bonds" one, the rest I'll probably frame. My scanner wasn't quite wide enough, so some of the images are truncated along the edge.

SheetMusic4.jpg

SheetMusic1.jpg

SheetMusic2.jpg

SheetMusic3.jpg

SheetMusic5.jpg

Is it my imagination, or did they purposely make Helen O'Connell look like Marilyn Monroe in this one?

SheetMusic6.jpg

Spiffy

A-List Customer
Treesaaw said:
Thanks for the tips and the clarification on the barware, I'm very excited to learn that I found some nice Depression era cocktail glasses! I'll try to haggle at the next antique fair I go to. My goal at the next one is to come out with a vintage fur stole and a big smile on my face :)

One of my parents' favorite stories is about the time they took me to an antique store at the age of seven and I was so freaked out by the fox stoles (the kind with little hands and beady eyes) that I started crying and had to leave.

Now, of course, I would kill for a vintage fur stole!

donCarlos

Practically Family
Again, this is not from a thrift store, but I think that cleaning out attics of my family´s houses is equally good source of great stuff :)

This beatiful jacket is from late 50´s or very early 60´s and I simply love the fabric.

2008_07170002_s.jpg

2008_07170005_s.jpg

And more good news to come - my grandaunt was cleaning out her attic as well and found a bunch of my great-grandfather´s clothes, which will mostly be very small, but still... And one friend of mine offered me a whole collection of her recently deceased grandfather´s suits and jackets. I´m really curious about how this will end...

D

DeaconKC

Picked this one up today, wish it worked! I'm gonna try top find a site with troubleshooting ideas.
005-3.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters