Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

freebird

Practically Family
sotd7-8-08015.jpg

sotd7-8-08014.jpg

sotd7-8-08013.jpg

sotd7-8-08016.jpg

What's left of an airplane cigarette lighter. Was given to me by one of Dad's friends. (I've had this awhile, just now getting around to making a picture of it)

Treesaaw

New in Town
Miss 1929: Being a purse fiend myself, I absolutely love your little purses!

I found these at the Alameda Point vintage fair on Sunday for $4 each. I'm so bad at haggling, so I just bought them at their suggested price. I don't mind though since I adore them.

I was told they're champagne saucers, but perhaps they're more cocktail stemware? Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not very knowledgeable on the vintage barware...

img0964gq1.jpg

img0965hg0.jpg

MPicciotto

Practically Family
I watched one of those airplane lighters (in working condition) go for over 50 dollars at an auction I used to attend regularly. Nearly all of us at that auction were antique dealers, ebayers, professional flea marketers etc and the person who bought it is an antique dealer with spaces at more then one mall I believe. No question it went to a booth space with a 100-150 dollar price tag.

Matt

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The top ones do seem to be Depression glass cocktail glasses!
The bottom ones look like the are probably dessert dishes, as they have the flat bottom, but one could easily drink out of them!
Now you have an excuse to have me over for a Manhattan!;)

Treesaaw said:

I found these at the Alameda Point vintage fair on Sunday for $4 each. I'm so bad at haggling, so I just bought them at their suggested price. I don't mind though since I adore them.

I was told they're champagne saucers, but perhaps they're more cocktail stemware? Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not very knowledgeable on the vintage barware...

img0964gq1.jpg

img0965hg0.jpg

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
Haggling lesson #1:
At such events, sellers expect to take offers. You simply say "would you take X" for this, and they either say yes, counter, or turn you down. You know what you're willing to pay. Then you either buy it at the price they agree to, or you leave it. I never do more than a 1-2-3 exchange as above. There's too much to see at Alameda to waste much time on it.

Haggling lesson #2
Exactly as you've pointed out below -- you don't NEED to haggle if you're happy with the product and the price! And those Depression glass cocktail glasses are LOVELY.

Treesaaw said:

img0964gq1.jpg

img0965hg0.jpg

Treesaaw

New in Town
Thanks for the tips and the clarification on the barware, I'm very excited to learn that I found some nice Depression era cocktail glasses! I'll try to haggle at the next antique fair I go to. My goal at the next one is to come out with a vintage fur stole and a big smile on my face :)

freebird

Practically Family
MPicciotto said:
I watched one of those airplane lighters (in working condition) go for over 50 dollars at an auction I used to attend regularly. Nearly all of us at that auction were antique dealers, ebayers, professional flea marketers etc and the person who bought it is an antique dealer with spaces at more then one mall I believe. No question it went to a booth space with a 100-150 dollar price tag.

Matt

Wow! Maybe I should look around and see if I can find some parts to restore this one.

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Freebird,

If you use 0000 that's 4 zeros grade steal wool it'll polish the chrome really nicely, follow that with a retail chrome polish like Mothers and that airplane will practically glow! Does the lighter part work?

Matt

freebird

Practically Family
MPicciotto said:
Freebird,

If you use 0000 that's 4 zeros grade steal wool it'll polish the chrome really nicely, follow that with a retail chrome polish like Mothers and that airplane will practically glow! Does the lighter part work?

Matt

No, unfortunately it doesn't. Plus someone has broken the propellers off at some point. One of the screw plug is missing on the bottom (not sure if it's the fuel or the flint). There is one just like it(that works) on ebay at the moment for 10.00, with a day left. Have it on my watch list. I think it's missing one propeller, but maybe I can buy enough junkers to put together one good lighter.[huh]

freebird

Practically Family
the smoke stand I picked up a few weeks ago. I just now got around to cleaning it up. The previous owner had used it (sans bowl) for a candlestand, so it took a while to clean all of the old candle wax from it. The bowl lifts off to empty it.

smokestand006a.jpg

smokestand015.jpg

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
Nice suitcases QB!

A while ago I found a 50's shadow box. I finally started putting it back together as the pieces were loose. Still needs a fresh coat of paint and a mirror piece but it looks fairly okay and holds the tiki well! lol

shadowbox22.jpg

Cricket

Practically Family
I love the smoke stand. I remember when I was a child, my grandmother would take over the old metal smoke stands that they use to put in hospital waiting rooms. Yes, times have really changed. It is scary that I am already saying that. ;)

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
Oh Cherry, I knew you would approve!!! lol Let me tell you those things are hard to find, I've been looking for one for a long time now! How's your place getting along??? Hope all is well!

Eyemo

Practically Family
freebird said:
sotd7-8-08015.jpg

sotd7-8-08014.jpg

sotd7-8-08013.jpg

sotd7-8-08016.jpg

What's left of an airplane cigarette lighter. Was given to me by one of Dad's friends. (I've had this awhile, just now getting around to making a picture of it)

Hey!.. I've got one of these...it's boxed up somwhere though.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou