Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Quigley's TRAVEL Poster

Quig,

A company in China puts out those vintage framed
Travel posters. I have one for a period Pacific Airline
with the identical frame. However you got the BEST
one I've seen (GRrrrrrrr lol )

NICE find!

Solid Citizen ;)

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
OOh Ahh!

Warbaby said:
Found this nifty Deco/Machine Age lighted makeup mirror at a street market yesterday for ten bucks. It's cast metal with a swiveling mirror - flat beveled mirror on one side and a magnifying mirror on the other. It's in great condition - the light works and the mirrors are perfect. The old wire looks a little dicey, so I'll probably replace it with a vintage-style silk covered wire.

MakeupMirror3f.jpg

MakeupMirror6f.jpg

(Maneki Niko says "Hi!" to all the loungers.)​

I love it, I want one in green!

Warbaby

One Too Many
Miss 1929 said:
I love it, I want one in green!

If I ever find another, it's yours. Actually, I do have another almost identical to it, but in chrome. Unfortunately the magnifying mirror broken, but sooner or later I'll find one the right size to replace it. Interestingly, while the chrome one is identical in design, it's made of stamped metal in several pieces instead of a one-piece casting, and the light cover is milky plastic rather than glass. You're welcome to it if you want it, but you've gotta come up for a visit to get it (as well as the suits and jackets I've been picking up for R.)

BTW, my new find goes well with a little cream-painted Deco clock that I have and they now reside side by side.

clock5.JPG

Miss 1929

They were meant to be together!

Warbaby said:
If I ever find another, it's yours. Actually, I do have another almost identical to it, but in chrome. Unfortunately the magnifying mirror broken, but sooner or later I'll find one the right size to replace it. Interestingly, while the chrome one is identical in design, it's made of stamped metal in several pieces instead of a one-piece casting, and the light cover is milky plastic rather than glass. You're welcome to it if you want it, but you've gotta come up for a visit to get it (as well as the suits and jackets I've been picking up for R.)

BTW, my new find goes well with a little cream-painted Deco clock that I have and they now reside side by side.

clock5.JPG
I know, we need to visit, god knows when...

Warbaby

One Too Many
Sweet typewriter, VB! I like the slinky, low profile of the 10. Is it still functional? If it is, it's worth taking the time to give it a good cleaning and lubricating. Some partial disassembly will make the job a lot simpler and it's not difficult to do.

Tamamiko

One of the Regulars
Check out these little lovelies I picked up at a second hand shop.
08-04-08_1304.jpg

I know it's hard to tell, but that's hounds tooth.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Ok, here are some of my great estate sale finds from the last month or so:

At one I came away with this hat and 2 pairs of earrings for $3!
1930shatearrings.jpg

1930shat.jpg

At the next I got 2 pairs of gloves for $2. The tan pair is soft suede, and the white ones have cute little cutouts.
gloves7-08.jpg

The following weekend I had a jackpot day!! At the first sale, I spent $4 for these 2 necklaces and 2 pairs of earrings.
pinkjewelery.jpg

Then hit a sale where for $1.80 I got a dressmakers curve, tailors ham, a hardbound copy of How Green Was My Valley, and these patterns:
kidspatterns.jpg

And I finished up the day with this pair of gloves and bag for a quarter!!
glovesnbag.jpg

But this weekend we really scored! We got a rotary push mower (as in person powered) and a pair of navy vintage gloves with scalloped edges for $9!! :D

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
From an estate sale two weekends ago:

items.jpg

A set of glass bedside lamps, a brown leather vintage purse, a woven white vintage purse, some linen hand towels in pretty pastel colors, and and old woven wool shawl wrap. Total cost = $22.00. It was the end of the day and the sellers were willing to bargain.

More to follow...

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
My husband's purchases from the same estate sale, total for all $20.00:

Books2.jpg

Books1.jpg

A selection of WWI serviceman's guidebooks to Great Britain. I can post more pictures of the insides of the guidebooks, if anyone would like. There are some interesting things inside of them. Most notably, a poem (typed on old oinionskin paper) found folded up and tucked inside one of the books, titled Nobility.

Pics.jpg

Vintage Betty

Warbaby said:
Sweet typewriter, VB! I like the slinky, low profile of the 10. Is it still functional? If it is, it's worth taking the time to give it a good cleaning and lubricating. Some partial disassembly will make the job a lot simpler and it's not difficult to do.

Yes, it's functional, but sticky. I'm waiting for a permanent business office with shelving before I take it out of storage and clean it, because I assume I will need to clean it again when I get my bookcases installed.

This model is only going for $10-$25 on ebay. Is it worth it to get it cleaned?

Vintage Betty

LizzieMaine

Bartender
If you're looking to actually use it, by all means. The Royal 10 may be the single best mechanical typewriter ever built -- solid, reliable, easy to use, and a thing of beauty to look upon.

The trouble spots are the rubber parts -- the rollers under the platen and the rollers on the bail, especially, tend to flatten on the sides if the machine's not been used for a long time. These can be replaced fairly easily if you're handy with a screwdriver. The rubber feet have a tendency to collapse with age as well, but good replacements often turn up on eBay.

Nice find!

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Goodwill find

I can never post an attachment at this site, but use your imagination...Borsalino Allesandria fur felt hat, "bronzo" (kangaroo) in color, marked both size 5 and size 5 1/2 (?), in excellent shape, originally sold at the Gian Luigi Pesce establishment in Genova, Italia. Price: $2.99. (And the salesgirl originally wanted $4.99, but realized that it had been further reduced!) A perhaps once-in-a-lifetime find. Thank you, Lord.:D

Teekay44

One of the Regulars
Radio

Went out with the faimly this morning. Found this at a yard sale. Dosen't have any tubes. Looked it up and it dates from 1924. A battery powered portable radio. Crosley model 52 I have been surfing the web sites to find stuff out about it. Got it for $1.:eusa_doh:
P1000140.jpg

P1000141.jpg

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
The Mister and I did really well this weekend.

On Friday I came home with a pretty silver choker for $3, and a Kenmore box fan from the fifties (I'm guessing) in aqua for another $3. The fan is all metal and very heavy. I carried it the 3 blocks home. Whew! She starts slow, but once she gets going, she really has some power!

Today I came home with 2 vintage hats for $10 total, and my husband scored chrome legged 50s dinette chairs for $2 a piece. There were 6 of them, so it came to $12, and since they need to be recovered, the guy even threw in a book on re-upholstery (it can be done, I can tell they've been recovered before).

I'll try to do pics later. :D

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Warbaby said:

Say, I've seen a few of those... and each one I've seen was chrome. I'm almost 100% sure that there's chrome under that ivory paint. Now, I could be wrong but, a close friend I have has one of the same, and its chrome and I've seen three others in antique shops or swap meets... chrome.

But, if it's not, then you have a very rare piece!

FedoraGent said:
On a lark, we decided on the way home this morning to follow a yard sale sign. I am very very happy that we did as well. Magneto asked me to post a video...so here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfCTbXFjxgc

They are 40s...and they are SOOO well taken care of.

FG.

Nice finds! I have that same coffee pot that was my Grandmothers. I believe she got it new in the very early 60's.

I got a few things this weekend at a flea market. I will post pics as soon as I can.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran