Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

Jedburgh OSS

One of the Regulars
Found these 78's at a yard sale

It's an album of four minstrel records for $5. Now I just have to get out the Crosley suitcase player and listen to them. They've remained in good condition in the paper sleeves. The inside back cover even has OPA ceiling prices so it's at least WW II.

th_BertWilliamsalbumcover.jpg

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Do auction finds count?

I haven't been to a yard sale lately, but I have been to auctions. I recently came back from an auction with a 1937 Philco console radio (model 37-620) that still works. I got it for $55.
fi10.jpg

D

DeaconKC

Last few weeks have been good. Found a '48 or '49 Old Spice shaving mug, then today at a moving sale snagged a little shaving mug for 80 cents. All the brushes are fleabay finds, the razor in the middle is a '58 Ftaboy and the one with the black handle is my Dad's old razor.
002-4.jpg

Warbaby

One Too Many
Jedburgh OSS said:
It's an album of four minstrel records for $5. Now I just have to get out the Crosley suitcase player and listen to them. They've remained in good condition in the paper sleeves. The inside back cover even has OPA ceiling prices so it's at least WW II.

th_BertWilliamsalbumcover.jpg

Does that Bert Williams record have a song called "Something You Don't Expect" on it?

Jedburgh OSS

One of the Regulars
The playlist.....

The Moon Shines on the Moonshine
O Death, Where Is Thy Sting?
Everybody Wants a Key to My Cellar
Bring Back Those Wonderful Days
Unlucky Blues
Brother Low Down
It's Getting So You Can't Trust Nobody
It's Nobody's Business But My Own

(...and you ain't just whistlin' Dixie about those dreadlocks; a classmate of my daughter's has had them for a least two years, maybe more and he's white and it looks ridiculous. They just graduated this past May from high school and he still had them with his cap and gown. {shudder})

D

DeaconKC

$3 Leather briefcase

Found this at a flea market for $3, real leather, just needed a little cleaning and cream, great condition and already back to work......
007-3.jpg

009-1.jpg

Rosie

One Too Many
Not a GREAT picture (silly camera phone) but, got this for 5 bucks! Needs a little love but, my little one will love it, (hopefully). The eyes are green glass.

horse.jpg

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
KilroyCD said:
I haven't been to a yard sale lately, but I have been to auctions. I recently came back from an auction with a 1937 Philco console radio (model 37-620) that still works. I got it for $55.
fi10.jpg

I just bought the shell of that exact radio. I bought mine to put a cd player into. Thats neat to know the model number and all.

Samantha

CaddyKid21

One of the Regulars
I Went to the Primer National Car show in Ventura Calif. and got some neat stuff, and 50's suitcase, and some amazing NOS in package WWII Military Headlights that are huge!, Pics to come very soon.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
KilroyCD said:

You bought that at an auction for $55 bucks? Good job!

I don't see that model very often... PHILCO had some nice cabinet designs in the 30s... well, early 40s models were nice too.

Speaking of yard sales, I'm having one on the 6th! Go to classifieds to find out more ;)

Scuffy

One of the Regulars
KilroyCD said:
fi10.jpg

Kilroy!!! I'm totally envious of you!! Do console radios like this come up often? Are we talking online auctions or actual auctions? If you ever come across anything like this- you sir... need to get ahold of me!!!lol lol :D

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Scuffy said:
Kilroy!!! I'm totally envious of you!! Do console radios like this come up often? Are we talking online auctions or actual auctions? If you ever come across anything like this- you sir... need to get ahold of me!!!lol lol :D
They come up at local auctions fairly often anymore. Here's a 1941 Zenith I got for $65 a while ago.
100_0686.jpg

I was with fellow Lounger MPicciotto at an auction in Crumpton, Maryland last week and came back with a 1940 Philco in not-as-nice shape as the '37. It hasn't been tested yet, so I don't know if it works. I'm inclined to think it will need some work however. Oh, the price? Zero. Nada. Nothing. It was part of a merchandise grouping someone bid on. That person took what he wanted and left the rest behind for the taking.
By the way, I do have a prewar Silvertone console radio I also got at auction that I'm thinking of parting with. I have been working on it, but haven't gotten it to work yet. Here's a shot of it:
mr06009.jpg

Jay

Practically Family
Today was my first day off of moving to Philly so I figured I'd check out my usual thrift store one last time. Well, probably not, though. Too much good stuff to pass up! Anyhow, I was considering not going at all since I've spent the last 3 or 4 days driving back and forth from my parents house to my apartment. Something told me I should go (I get this urge all the time, where it comes from I don't know, but it's like vintage clairvoyance or something).

I drive out there and find first, a late 50s charcoal gray 3 button suit. The pants are a little big in the waist but no big deal. I stroll past the overcoats and find a dark blue sb overcoat dated April 10th 1943. And it fits like it was made for me! Trouble is, a button is missing. No big deal, it only cost 3.50.

Finally on a whim I stroll by the pants aisle, which usually turns up nothing, and find what looks like a pair of trousers with button fly, but no dropped belt-loops. I found these before and they turned out to be modern suits tailored in faraway places, usually with strange features and wonky cuts. I investigate the pants a little more. The buttons are wood. Hmmm, I think.

I peek in the waistband and find an NRA label. Deadstock workpants in a dandy pinstripe.

It's been a crazy day. PICS TO FOLLOW!

RetroToday

A-List Customer
Got this pile of stuff at a yard sale on Saturday, August 24, 2008.

At that sale alone I bought over 125 pieces of sheet music (a few songbooks in there) and four 78rpm record albums from the 1940s (all records intact) - And all for $8.
I really love the bold colours and great artwork on both the album and the sheet music covers; if I had the wall space I'd frame and hang almost every one of them.

2829018779_5feeb298fd.jpg

Wish it was like this every time I go to yard sales! :eusa_clap

I've spent my off hours since then photographing them all - And I made a gallery of the nicer ones at the following link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeremyhopkin/sets/72157606970531994/

2802504430_9c95f96d28.jpg

2804499208_69a559fbbf.jpg

2826460108_e89d9c8985.jpg

2804674952_4f15374073.jpg

2804675424_eda96f1f94.jpg

2826691833_4eb44c52fb.jpg

There's still more to come, I already have a bunch I collected before that I haven't taken pictures of yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran