Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

RetroToday said:
Got this pile of stuff at a yard sale on Saturday, August 24, 2008.

At that sale alone I bought over 125 pieces of sheet music (a few songbooks in there) and four 78rpm record albums from the 1940s (all records intact) - And all for $8.
I really love the bold colours and great artwork on both the album and the sheet music covers; if I had the wall space I'd frame and hang almost every one of them.

2829018779_5feeb298fd.jpg

I WANT that Deanna Durbin album!!!!:eek::D

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
I bought a couple of albums as well:
100_3082.jpg

I also bought a really cute sailor suit and two pairs of vintage shoes for my daughter. She'll be wearing them about this time next year.

100_3079.jpg

RetroToday

A-List Customer
Sweet Leilani said:
I bought a couple of albums as well:
100_3082.jpg

Love that Harry James cover, the design of the fire coming out of the horn is very cool!
I have the same Blue Skies album as you - I've been meaning to take some photos of the inside of mine as there's a nice picture from the movie printed there.

A great find Leilani!

D

DeaconKC

ebay and a moving sale score

Got a 1961-64 Old Spice shaving mug [the one on the right] and a neat little shaving bowl this last week. Spent a total of a dollar and eighty cents, since the mug was a local ebay pickup.
OSmugs003.jpg

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
I went to an antiquarian book fair and got all of these for a bit less than a dollar each! :)

"The memoirs of Sarah Bernhard" from 1911. Squeee, I have an edwardian book! If your look at the sides of it, the papers form a marble pattern.
2845718006_af53fd41bc.jpg

"Textile and fashion through 300 years" - I have wanted this book for a long time, so I was so happy to get it!
2844886109_51911c4086.jpg

A little costume pamphlet, a (in)famous danish book on proper conduct in all things in life, a small book on Toulouse-Lautrec.
2845720002_b06e6c4d87.jpg

A book on the danish ballet from 45-52, two theatre programmes (the latter is 40s and has cute ads) and a congratulatory postcard from 1958 that I found in one of the books.
2844886445_1834824e33.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I was looking for stuff to put on my walls. The Salvation army I hit up was cleaned out in that department, but I did get a few things.

A candlepin bowling drinking glass
IMG_2201.jpg

A curling mug
IMG_2204.jpg

A regimental tie
IMG_2197.jpg

A pair of gray wool pants
IMG_2207.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
I saw this impressive single breasted peaked lapel tuxedo yesterday in a thrift store. Aside from looking to have been stored for approx 70 years, it was immaculate. Grosgrain faced lapels, single button close, heavy wool material.
Looked to be a 38 jacket/32 waist.
Sadly, not my size.
Here is a bad cell phone pic..
Tux1.jpg

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
I found these items at a yardsale on Friday.

Level. All bubbles work. $1.00 per bubble ($3.00)
Level-DSC_8709.jpg

Iron. $10.00
Iron-DSC_8686.jpg

Clamp. I don't know what these are used for, but they've been very hot. $3.00
Clamp-DSC_8714.jpg

Lee

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Had a lot of luck at the Salvation Army and Savers yesterday!

Three chairs for $30 -- the other two don't have arms.
IMG_0418.jpg

IMG_0417.jpg

Amazing hand-tooled leather vintageMexican purse.
IMG_0419.jpg

White angora twinset -- unsure of date.
IMG_0420.jpg

Three of these cute atomic looking glasses.
IMG_0422.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Neat Chairs!

I hit up the same thrift shop this week. Turns out they have good turnover in stock. Lots of new stuff since last thursday.

Things I liked but didn't buy

A 1937 Dated, Halifax Taiored 1 button peak lapel tuxedo, in excellent condition. Unfortunately, about a 36 Short.

An old army shirt- heavy, yet coarse green wool, with an extremely pronounced undercurve to the collar, buttonholes for a collar stud instead of a button, double material on the bottoms of the sleeves, long tails, no labels. Unfortunately, too small and pretty shredded.

A gray atomic fleck wool suit- patch pockets, two button, medium width lapels. I would have sworn it was early '50s from the cut and fabric, but it turned out to be '80s. Very neat suit, and I would have bought it if the pants hadn't been badly ripped.

What I did end up buying-
IMG_2298.jpg

IMG_2299.jpg

Warbaby

One Too Many
Found this nifty chair at a garage sale today for $3.00. I think it's a great design, particularly the way the tubular steel frame is formed in one piece with no connection between the tubing around the seat and the side tubes. Fabric has a nice deco-ish design as well. And you can't beat the price...

chair1.JPG

The back appears disproportionately large because I was shooting with a wide-angle lens.

chair2.JPG

Lucky Strike

A-List Customer
Love the chair, warbaby!

I like tubular steel myself - these just came back from reupholstering:

DSC06364.jpg

They started out like this:

57136-1b.jpg

842008kussiusbar1.jpg

I'll pair them with this table, as soon as the cracked glass top has been changed:

68205-10.jpg

Lucky Strike

A-List Customer
I found these two yesterday; the first one is a 30s car clock, which will be repaired and mounted as a desk clock with some bent perspex:

DSC06440.jpg

DSC06447.jpg

DSC06449.jpg

I plan to have it perspex-mounted along these lines:

DSC06435.jpg

Mike1973

A-List Customer
Not really from a garage sale, more like a garage clearout! Driving though town to see my Nan at the weekend spotted this charming little fella by the side of the road. Out of curiosity pulled over to have a look, then drove on... Got to the end of the road and the the magpie in me made me turn back and pick it up, even though I've no where at all to keep it :eusa_doh:
Found the owner, who left it out hoping someone would give it a good home, rather than take it down the dump. It was made by a guy in Abingdon many moons ago, and is in need of some TLC. I'm asking around my friends at the moment to see if anyone can home him... but most have the same issues of limited space. :( If not it'll have to go on ebay next week!

5a4aec25.jpg

ae33a937.jpg

a5f5c987.jpg

Warbaby

One Too Many
Lucky Strike said:
Love the chair, warbaby!

I like tubular steel myself - these just came back from reupholstering:

DSC06364.jpg

Those are some fabulous tubular steel pieces - I've never seen a corner sofa like that. Great stuff! Amazing what a difference a bit of reupholstery can make. The nice thing about the tubular stuff is that it's usually relatively easy to upholster and you can often do it yourself (though I don't think I'd want to attempt it on a piece as large as that sofa).

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Lucky Strike said:
I found these two yesterday; the first one is a 30s car clock, which will be repaired and mounted as a desk clock with some bent perspex:

DSC06440.jpg

DSC06447.jpg

DSC06449.jpg

This thing is absolutely beautiful! Do yourself a favor: If anything's broken inside (such as that hand), when you send it out for repair, find a watch MAKER, Not just a watch repairman. A watch repair shop will use prefabbed shafts and such that may not fit exactly, but a watchmaker will grind the parts himself for correct fit and operation.

Best of luck with that. :eusa_clap

Lee

freebird

Practically Family
I've been helping my Dad go through some things after we had to place my Mom in the nursing home,and I wound up with this pair of kerosene railroad lamps. Dad tells me they were out of a dining car. The globes are new, they were missing the globes so I picked up a couple.

Dsc00987.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran