Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

Lucky Strike

A-List Customer
Lumelux said:
Those stools look like Thonet. Possible Marcel Breuer or Mart Stamm. Very cool.

I agree! It's much the same Bauhaus esthetic. However, these were made by Josef Kussius in Oslo - he had a small factory for tubular steel furniture here in the thirties, and he hired (among others) the architect Arne Korsmo to design his products. I suspect that these were designed by Korsmo, although there is no easy way of ascertaining that.

MrNewportCustom said:
This thing is absolutely beautiful! Do yourself a favor: If anything's broken inside (such as that hand), when you send it out for repair, find a watch MAKER, Not just a watch repairman. A watch repair shop will use prefabbed shafts and such that may not fit exactly, but a watchmaker will grind the parts himself for correct fit and operation.

Best of luck with that. :eusa_clap

Lee

Yep, I've got the best watchmaker in town two doors down from where I work.

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I bought a vintage watch repair shop over the summer...what did you do?

Yes, I purchased the contents of a vintage watch repair shop over the summer!

watches010.jpg

I helped out that family with their house clearance, remember? Anyway, the father had a shop and used to repair watches and clocks. When I found this out, I said that I would like to buy any tools they were willing to sell me, as I'd like to learn watch repair for myself and also for a charity shop I volunteer at.

magnifier.JPG

After spending a week with the family, I was astounded at the generous offer I was given: two boxes with the contents of the shop, for the price of LESS than a single watch repair. So, I'm jazzed beyond belief. I hope to start studying watch repair next year. I'll post the the cool deco clocks I received in another thread.

*This post is cross-posted over in the Ladies Watch Thread and Men's Watch Thread.

To see the ladies watches, click here and scroll down the page.

For more pictures of the tools, go here.

MadelienneBlack

One of the Regulars
I just so happen to live right across the street from a large flea market/farmer's market. Believe it or not, I've only ever been there twice though. Today they were having a huge "antiques exstravaganza", so I wandered over to take a look. I couldn't believe what I found!

A completely functioning 1950's Coldspot refridgerator!
And because it was near closing time, the man cut sold it to me FOR $75!
I'm renting a house at the moment, so I don't have my own kitchen to put it in. But when I do get my own place, this will be the first thing through the door! :D

Oh, and check out the 1950's sunshine yellow clock I picked up too from the same stand. I nearly had a heart attack (in a good way)! It's the exact same color as the vintage pyrex bowls I already own!

Here's the fridge (with clock and bowl on top)...
S6300797.jpg

A close-up of the logo on the inside...
S6300799.jpg

A nice shot of the bowl and clock...
S6300802.jpg

A shot of the proud owner! :p
S6300807.jpg

Bluebird

New in Town
Awesome!!

What a great looking fridge! And I am VERY jealous of the yellow clock and bowl! I LUVS Yellow!! My mum had pyrex bowls like that; yellow, blue, green and orangey-red. Fab! What a lucky girl!!:eusa_clap

^_^

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Here's my most recent find, although not from a yardsale.

On Monday, on my way home from work, I stopped at my local IN-N-OUT Burger (store #3) for their number one combo. While I was in the drive-thru lane, a teen and his girlfriend used this coin to pay for their meal at the walk-up window. To make a long story short, I gave IN-N-OUT the twenty-dollar face value for it. My two ten spots went to paying for the kids' meals and their change, while the coin went into my pocket, not even getting near the cash drawer.

It's a solid ounce of pure silver (.999 Fine Silver), making it worth at least fifty dollars. I looked for information on it online, but found nothing; not even on the IN-N-OUT website.

And then, yesterday, the new Westways magazine arrives, containing this article about IN-N-OUT. As you can see, the article included the same image that's on the coin! The painting is from 1983 and the coin is from 1986. IN-N-OUT was founded October 22, 1948. In a few weeks, they will have been around for 60 years.

IN-N-OUT-coin-DSC_8894.jpg

IN-N-OUT-page-DSC_8876.jpg

Rachael

A-List Customer
I picked up this vintage purse a few months back. At the time, I was surprised to find a large stack of old photos inside. This evening, I was cleaning out the pile of stuff I never use, and took a closer look. In addition to the photos, I found several pay stubs dated 1959 from Western Wirebound Box Co. A quick internet search let me to a Union suit against that company in 1961.

With all of this information (and her name and SSN) I can almost picture this woman's life. Her name is Vena Q Thompson, she was married to a GI who was stationed in the Pacific, she had a son with blonde hair, she was involved a member of the IWW. Now if only I know which of the women in the pictures she is. I would dearly love to find out if she or her family is still around to return at least the wedding photos.

Enjoy!
SCAN0001.jpg

SCAN0002.jpg

SCAN0003.jpg

SCAN0004.jpg

PICT0808-1.jpg

MadelienneBlack

One of the Regulars
Rachael said:
Her name is Vena Q Thompson, she was married to a GI who was stationed in the Pacific, she had a son with blonde hair, she was involved a member of the IWW. Now if only I know which of the women in the pictures she is.

If she's married to a GI, and has a son with blond hair, my guess is she'd be the one in the bottom left hand corner picture standing next to the man in uniform with her blond haired son in front of her. Only a guess, though :rolleyes:

Josephine

One Too Many
Rachael said:
With all of this information (and her name and SSN) .... I would dearly love to find out if she or her family is still around to return at least the wedding photos.

You can do a SSN search on http://ssdi.rootsweb.ancestry.com/. I did a quick one with Vena and Thompson and got some, but none with a Q as a middle initial. Her legal name might not be Vena, so if you plug in her SSN you might get her. Good luck, and keep us informed! :)

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Nice Refrigerator, Madelineblack!

I recently picked up one of my own. A little out of date, but it is much larger than the 1934 ball top currently in my kitchen.

It is, for me, the Holy Grail of electric refrigerators; A first series Double Door General Electric Monitor Top!

These early machines, with their DK refrigeration units, and wood-framed cabinets with porcelain-enameled interiors and panels are very scarce indeed!

Berniesfridge005.jpg

Berniesfridge011.jpg

Rachael

A-List Customer
Josephine said:
You can do a SSN search on http://ssdi.rootsweb.ancestry.com/. I did a quick one with Vena and Thompson and got some, but none with a Q as a middle initial. Her legal name might not be Vena, so if you plug in her SSN you might get her. Good luck, and keep us informed! :)

Josephine, what a great resource! A search for the SSN and name on the pay stubs didn't get anywhere, so I searched for just the SSN. That got me a record of a person named Kunitaro Kawaguchi who was born in 1882 and died in 1967. So perhaps the paystubs belong to parent of the girl in the overseas pictures. It also will help in identifying which Pacific country those pictures were taken in. The name is Japanese, so that would make these post-war pictures and not Korean. I just might have to start a journal about this handbag.

freebird

Practically Family
Picked up a Stewart Warner tube type floor radio (not sure what year) and a Takamine G series acoustic electric guitar. I gave 40.00 for the radio, which works, and 120.00 for the guitar.

floorradioandguitar.jpg

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
vitanola said:
Nice Refrigerator, Madelineblack!

I recently picked up one of my own. A little out of date, but it is much larger than the 1934 ball top currently in my kitchen.

It is, for me, the Holy Grail of electric refrigerators; A first series Double Door General Electric Monitor Top!

These early machines, with their DK refrigeration units, and wood-framed cabinets with porcelain-enameled interiors and panels are very scarce indeed!

Berniesfridge005.jpg

Berniesfridge011.jpg

Don't tell me you found that at a thrift shop or yard sell! :eek:

I love monitor tops! And that piece is just amazing! Truly a piece of GE history! I use a '40 GE and it really works well, really cheap to run and the look is just perfect. However, if anyone has a ’37 GE monitor top, which is the streamlined model then, I’d trade my ’40 for that in a flash!

=R

Jedburgh OSS

One of the Regulars
Try your local rescue mission thrift store

I've been cleaning up on old restaurant china, the heavy stuff that's all white or white with a green stripe. Classic diner dishes. Also found a copy of "The Parade's Gone By" (1968) by Kevin Brownlow, a great photo-filled book on the silent movie era, just four bits. This is the kind of book that Ken Burns could use for his source material if he were ever to do one of his unique documentaries on that subject. One bad thing is the employees in these stores are kind of rough in handling the antiques. They also mark them in such a way that you play hell cleaning off the marks or stickers; usually lighter fluid works best.

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Modern vintage

Found a little Gillette Travel Razor for a buck and couldn't resist it. Then found a guy who makes custom handles that allow it to really strut it's stuff [the original handle is about an inch long]. What a great shaver!
001-6.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner