Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
The wife and I are constantly on the lookout for vintage odds and ends, here are a few that we have picked up.

I found this Worlds Fair cane at a thrift store in Atlanta for a mere 50 cents.

P1000731.jpg

P1000730.jpg

Picked up this cigarette case in Denver a few years back

P1000738.jpg

I know there is more, I will just have to photograph them.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Great finds Miss Brill -- gotta love Craig's List -- but I especially love your chalkware find, such sweet expressions. I've been collecting chalkware nativity pieces from the 40s and 50s; I'll have to take pictures when the holiday season is closer.

img1736-479dsoo9u.jpg

Feraud, $20 for Burberry? Excellent! Did you snag the Bogey coat too?

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Feraud said:
Burberry trenchcoat. Sells for one grand brand new. Second hand cost = 20 bucks.

Fantastic find. A Burberry or Aquascutum trench is very high on my 'grail' list of thrift finds. I came across a Canadian made Aquascutum recently, but the condition was below what I was willing to accept.

Starius

Practically Family
Quigley Brown said:
Goodwill again....

This 70s lamp stands four feet tall! It was too tacky to pass up. I know a friend who would like it, though.
lamp.jpg

We have a lamp in a similar style, though its been painted over to look more contemporary. I'll post a pic of it later. I'm glad to see yours though. Until now, I haven't seen another lamp in that style.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
There's a little switch on the base that turns on a special bulb inside the fabric-covered core...a lamp within a lamp. That bulb is burned out, but I can't wait to replace it to see the full effect.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Quigley Brown said:
There's a little switch on the base that turns on a special bulb inside the fabric-covered core...a lamp within a lamp. That bulb is burned out, but I can't wait to replace it to see the full effect.

My gram had bicentennial lamps that were a lamp inside a lamp. The base was a big glass globe with a light inside of it and a big brass eagle sitting on the globe. The spirit of '76, indeed! I miss the sheer amounts of bicentennial crap that I used to see at thrifts and yard sales. Makes me wonder where it all went. It was always so delightfully tacky and it almost makes me feel nostalgic for my youth! And the range of items that were bicentennial themed is mind boggling.

Starius

Practically Family
Quigley Brown said:

Yours is quite a bit different than this one is then.

This lamp is one solid material for the base.
Here are some cellphone shots:

lamp1cx6.jpg
lamp2hn3.jpg

Originally, it was purple with the inner core being yellow, I think. It reminded me of a big pineapple or something. I'm really not sure around what period the thing was made.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Quigley Brown said:
These are finds from my local Goodwill from the past two weeks...

This old snapshot was just laying on the floor and the cashier gave it to me. That stick propping up that wire??? Oh, the mystery...

5-1.jpg
[/IMG]

It's a stick proping up a clothesline. You lower it so you can peg the washing on then raise it up so it doesn't droop under the weight of the clothes and also so it catches the breeze.

I know this was pages back but no-one had commented so I thought I would!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic