Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I found this at the Goodwill today. They must have just put it out otherwise I was quite shocked to see it still there....eight bucks. It's about a foot wide/tall. It's a Lane Co. tv lamp.

duck100.jpg
[/IMG]

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I found this wood horse wall decoration at the Goodwill this week, too. It's about 20 in. wide. It's sort of that Danish Modern, Mid-Century style. I'm sure it's vintage, but there are no markings on the back to give me a clue.

horse.jpg
[/IMG]

Photo from estate sale

The estate sale powers that be decided I should not become aware of this sale until the last day. Even so, I am still in the throes of mid century modern nostalgia. The home on top of Mt. Washington reminded me of Barnsdall Municipal Art Center days circa 1968. The gentleman was Edgar Ewing, a modern artist and USC professor if I recall. Bless his soul, may he rest in peace, rejoined with his wife and parakeet.
Edgar-Ewing-Tokyo-Hotel.jpg

Here is a picture of him (on the left) at what I believe is the Imperial Hotel in Japan, no less!
edgar-ewing-totem.jpg

Unknown location.
Also acquired: Riding (?) jacket & trousers, shooting (?) coat, and lined, denim artist's smock - none my size but somehow irresistible. Intentions are to measure, photograph and offer here or the 'Bay - suggestions (Blue star buyer (no ointment jokes), never a seller)?

eniksleestack

One of the Regulars
Found this 40s or 50s Dickies denim jacket (with back belt!) at a random Goodwill during a long road trip.

dickies40sjkt5small.jpg

dickies40sjkt8small.jpg

dickies40sjkt13small.jpg

And this 30s or 40s woman's hat at a local hole-in-the-wall thrift store. Sorry for the ugly decapitated dummy head! :p

30sladieshat1small.jpg

30sladieshat2small.jpg

30sladieshat4small.jpg

Riley Dee

One of the Regulars
2lb.11.1oz. trousers

I recently found these at a local thrift store. The trousers are 100% cashmere, fully lined, and are the heaviest pair of pants I have ever encountered. I actually took them to the post office to get an accurate weight...2lbs. 11.1 oz.

Cashmere8.jpg

Cashmere9.jpg

Cashmere7.jpg

Cashmere10.jpg

DSCF0002.jpg

DSCF0004.jpg

DSCF0005.jpg

DSCF0015.jpg

The white tag reads “Ellis of Edinburgh”. I am curious about the maker and the two small flap pocket, is it two watch pockets?

eniksleestack

One of the Regulars
Dinerman said:
That jacket sure is something.
Nice score!

Yeah, I also scored about a dozen 50s silk ties on that visit too.

The jacket didn't really jump out at me until I saw the tag. And I don't think I even I saw the back belt until I got it home.:eek:

Any idea where I can find more info about it's age/ design?

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Pink Dahlia said:
Here we go. I bought this at an antique market not a thrift store or a yard sale. I am including it here because it was priced for a thrift store/yard sale.

1950s Basset Dresser/Buffet:
l_7cb616b86e8f31944e053517eb0b47c3.jpg

Three inside drawers:
l_6763ce70acabcfaf3c2d036f4674b06c.jpg

Close up of drawer handles:
l_da2f2b2768c6f7f8bac511ccaa42f1cd.jpg

The kicker: $50!

(After gas $30.45 in the truck and lunch 14.11 for the boys who helped me move it, the grand total for the dresser $94.56. You still can't be the price. Am I a super shopper or what! ;) )

Is that supposed to be a take off of Mayan stuff?

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
I bought this raincoat for 7 dollars at my "secret spot" thrift store. The jacket is in perfect condition, Vietnam era I think..
As fate would have it, I had this exact jacket when I was a teenager! Canal Jean in NYC used to have racks of military surplus and vintage overcoats.
DSC01884.jpg

DSC01887.jpg

DSC01888.jpg

I bought one in a second hand store in LAX about 20 years ago too. Great jacket.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Starius said:
I go to a lot of Auctions and Flea Markets so I may post to this thread a lot from time to time.

Here is a ladies bedroom desk w/ mirror I picked up at an auction this weekend:

ldresser1np4.jpg

ldresser2da3.jpg

ldresser3xa5.jpg

ldresser4yd8.jpg

I just loved the deco style of it. I'm a bit unsure of the year it would have come out of though. No later than mid 40s I'm guessing. Excellent condition just a few minor condition issues that can be fixed. In any event, a steal at $20.

The veneer is in remarkable shape - remarkable find! Congrats!

RBH

Bartender
Found this Egyptian art print at a yard sale for $ 1. It looked to good to pass up and I thought it would go great with my Egyptian collection.

[sorry I cant get the photos here to do what they do on the fedora forum, they are small here]

Miss Brill

One Too Many
Someone gave away this sofa on Craigslist & I got it. I think it is from the late 30s or early 40s:
couch-479dpekzl.jpg

I call it June bug green & it looks great with my faux-40s barkcloth looking pillows. It is probably the heaviest sofa I've ever seen, it is even hard to slide it across the floor. But I love it. :eusa_clap

I bought this purse a couple weeks ago--it was fifty cents:
img1749-479dryg1l.jpg

img1751-1igc6d6q.jpg

And this vintage chalkware wall hanging. I think it is from the 40s or 50s--it still had the antique store tag, but I only paid $1.00:
img1736-479dsoo9u.jpg

img1737-479duvwix.jpg

I paid $2.99 for this basket purse:
img1752-479dt3o9v.jpg

img1754-479e2448d.jpg

I also got enough free bricks to make a 12' by 13' foot patio. I am hooked on Craigslist!

I collect bird figurines & found this one, I think it was fifty cents:
img1738-479duc84y.jpg

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Found over the past couple of months at the Goodwill and a few yard sales:

Not whole sets of these, but still nice to look at...
plates.jpg
[/IMG]

1960s mini-binocs. No brand name, just 'made in Japan.'
binoculars.jpg
[/IMG]

Tacky 1960s art piece distributed by the Turner Mfg. Co. It's Paris street scene. It's huge!
parispainting.jpg
[/IMG]

Cologne/after shave set that was still in its box. What every gentleman slapped on his face in the late 60s...
yardley-1.jpg
[/IMG]

1970s Avon..it's full and still in its box. Perfect to wear on Capital Hill. The stuff smells AWFUL!!!
avon-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy