Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
Thanks QB!

BegintheBeguine: Thank you for your sweet compliment.;) It always amazes me the "cool" things that old people have in their basements and the fact that they find it funny that a young gal would want those things. lol

Trickeration

Practically Family
MaryDeluxe - Those lamps are fabulous!

I had a "hunch" about going to the thrift store today. My mom says I get that from my dad. When it happens, we drop what we're doing an go. It hasn't failed yet. Today my daughter, Kat, was the one to benefit the most from it. She got a great vintage dress, a 50's housecoat (sadly it was a bit too small for me) and a button up shirt (not pictured). I spotted the bracelet as soon as we came through the door, and the earrings were in the case below it. Kat also has a great eye for ties, so she went to work going through about 100 or so of them hanging on the ends of the aisles. She found this one as a late Father's Day present for my husband. Also, the cabinet, contents, and everything else in the first pic are thrift store finds from over the years.
dsc00546ov5.jpg

dsc00540bl6.jpg
dsc00531cx2.jpg
dsc00554xm0.jpg
dsc00555yb0.jpg
dsc00548fr3.jpg

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
Wow Trickeration! Your daughter looks beautiful in that dress! You lucky girls such wonderful finds! Your house looks like it might have lots of interesting things in it too! ;)

thunderw21: Cool I love old record players! Nice find especially since it still works!

Trickeration

Practically Family
Thanks so much girls! Yesterday indeed a good day. Since the store collects it's own donations, we may check back tomorrow to see if more things from the same home(s) have been put out.

thunderw21 - the phonograph is great!

MaryDeluxe - There are more pics of our house in this older thread. Except for the bedroom furniture and chenille spread, it's all thrift store and yard sale finds. I don't think I'm off topic mentioning it :D .http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=9665&page=2

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
I found this several years ago. I couldn't believe it when the yardsaler asked just ten dollars for it. The bulb is burned out, but it otherwise works. I don't know the vintage, but I'm willing to guess the '60s. I love the crinkle finish.

dscn0133mod.jpg

Lee

You oughta be in pictures. . . .

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
The Dreadnaught!

Again, I don't know the vintage, but I love the name. Still have some fuel sloshing around inside, too. No, I'm not gong to light a match and check the level. :D

dscn0140mod.jpg

Lee

Come on baby light my fire . . .

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Not a Yardsale Find . . .

I bought this from a friend for ninety dollars about fifteen years ago. I've lately thought of using it as a prop if I go to the FL Queen Mary event this year. I'll need a fedora with a "Press" tag tucked into the band. :D

Yes, I have film backs for it.

dscn0122mod.jpg

Lee

Smile!

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
Hey MrNewport... that camera is really nifty! Have you actually taken pictures with it? The projector is very cool too. When I was a kid and had birthday parties, my parents use to rent a projector and some movies from the local public library and we would watch them on the basement walls:) hahaha good times!

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
MrNewportCustom said:
I found this several years ago. I couldn't believe it when the yardsaler asked just ten dollars for it. The bulb is burned out, but it otherwise works. I don't know the vintage, but I'm willing to guess the '60s. I love the crinkle finish.

dscn0133mod.jpg

Lee

You oughta be in pictures. . . .
Nice find. 16 mm? My guess would be forties or fifties as to it's age.
I found this old Moviegraph from the thirties for a mere ten bucks also. I was astonished when I plugged it in and turned it on before buying it, that it still worked!
Opus185.jpg

eniksleestack

One of the Regulars
I'm a real thrift store dweller here in Southern California, the thrift store capitol of North America, so I find tons of great stuff regularly. I even have a blog dedicated to the weird and wonderful things I find and places I visit: Thrift Store Adventures

Some time ago I found this 1940s era "Mariner" Girl Scouts sailor blouse w/ pin tucked away in the kid's section (it's Sanforized!):

girlscoutsblousesmall.jpg

girlscoutstagsmall.jpg

girlscoutspinsmall.jpg

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
eniksleestack said:
I'm a real thrift store dweller here in Southern California, the thrift store capitol of North America, so I find tons of great stuff regularly. I even have a blog dedicated to the weird and wonderful things I find and places I visit: Thrift Store Adventures

Just a quick scroll through, and I'm hooked on the blog already. I can't wait to read it. Welcome to the Lounge!

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
MaryDeluxe said:
Hey MrNewport... that camera is really nifty! Have you actually taken pictures with it? The projector is very cool too. When I was a kid and had birthday parties, my parents use to rent a projector and some movies from the local public library and we would watch them on the basement walls:) hahaha good times!

Mary,
I've never taken any actual pictures with it, but I've played with it enough to know it works. It has a cloth shutter with diferent sized slots for shutter speed. (If you've ever seen an old photograph of a car in motion, and it looks like it's leaning into the wind, it was taken with a camera with a cloth shutter.) Maybe someday I'll fill the film backs and try it for real. lol

Maj. Nick Danger,
That's a very nice projector. I love that name plate. Very nice. Cool that it works, but is it complete? When comparing it to mine, it looks like it's missing something between the film plane and the lens. Have you looked into that?

Mine didn't come with reels, and I haven't looked at it closely and not in a long time, but I think it's 8mm. I also have an 8mm camera that was my father's.

dscn0124mod.jpg

And this interesting item that I found at a yardsale many years ago. Also 8mm. I love the lenses. I guess it'd make me feel like a real movie-maker with those.

dscn0125mod.jpg

Both work, although I've never put film in them. They're wind-up, like toys.

Liz! That's an awesome purse! I'd carry that, if I was of the female persuasion. :D

Lee

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
And speaking of film . . .

I found these in Hollywood while making a delivery. I paid twenty dollars for both cases - movie included. I sometimes think about using one as a briefcase. lol

dscn0132mod.jpg

I've never heard of (or seen) the movie they contain - Didn't You Hear, but there are five reels of it.

Lee

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
MrNewportCustom said:
Maj. Nick Danger,
That's a very nice projector. I love that name plate. Very nice. Cool that it works, but is it complete? When comparing it to mine, it looks like it's missing something between the film plane and the lens. Have you looked into that?

Lee
Yep. Only thing missing is films. It came with the instruction sheet also. The reason it looks like something might be missing is because it was so cheaply made. Its a very spare design made out of mostly metal stampings with very few machined parts. The lens focuses by simply pushing it either forward or backward in it's mount.
(You could very well have an unseen Hollywood blockbuster in those film cans!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points