Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Picked this up at a local flea market a couple of weeks ago for a song. It is an early 1900s spelter copy of a French bronze. She looks lovely in our living room!

13zrc4n.jpg

Last edited:
I'm diggin' the camera, dr, but I'm wondering what your plans are for it. Display/conversation piece, maybe?

The rise of digital media has rendered film all but obsolete for most of us. But I'm among those who think of film cameras as really cool little pieces of machinery, and can appreciate them for that alone. It seems I'm in good company, as I've noticed many folks using old cameras as items of interior decor. One friend has several quite nicely arranged on a wall in her dining room. Other folks have them displayed on otherwise empty sections of bookshelf and such.

This is how it looked yesterday, when I bought it at my favorite junk peddler's and dragged it home ...

GEDC0334.jpg

And this is how it looks this evening.

GEDC0339.jpg

I considered reusing the fabric -- patch it up, maybe, and call it good -- but I had to acknowledge, once I had it off the chair frame, that it was really too far gone. And there's a specialty fabric place here in town that sells this kind of stuff. So I bought enough to do three chairs like this (I kinda had to, unless I could live with the stripes running horizontally, which I couldn't), so I'm on the prowl for others.

In between my other chores and recreating today the wood frame got the quick-and-dirty steel wool and oil finish treatment. I cut and sewed a couple of hems in the fabric and tacked it to the dowels top and bottom. The hardest part was freeing up that lower dowel, to get the old fabric off and the new fabric on. It had been nailed in position, so it wouldn't rotate. Pulling those old nails was a challenge. I put it back together with screws, which oughta make redoing this (should that ever happen) easier.

I have one of these in the garage that has been there as long as I can remember. The fabric is a mess. Reading this has inspired me to take it down and see what I can do with it. :D

davidraphael

Practically Family
I'm diggin' the camera, dr, but I'm wondering what your plans are for it. Display/conversation piece, maybe?

The rise of digital media has rendered film all but obsolete for most of us. But I'm among those who think of film cameras as really cool little pieces of machinery, and can appreciate them for that alone. It seems I'm in good company, as I've noticed many folks using old cameras as items of interior decor. One friend has several quite nicely arranged on a wall in her dining room. Other folks have them displayed on otherwise empty sections of bookshelf and such.

I guess it will mostly be a display piece, but, as a screenwriter/all-round movie bod, I'd actually love to be able to afford 16mm stock and shoot an actual film with it.

I picked up these Currier and Ives trays awhile back. Always have been a fan of these 'seasons' pictures.

GEDC1049.jpg

I found this matching warming tray over the weekend.

GEDC1050.jpg

I had remembered my mom had a bunch of these, but never knew why. When she saw it in my car, she explained that they ordered these for Wisconsin Cheeseman, which is the plant she was working at, to be sold in the company store during the holidays.

The rest of my finds over the weekend.

GEDC1041.jpg

GEDC1042.jpg

GEDC1043.jpg

GEDC1044.jpg

GEDC1045.jpg

I have several of these matching Thermoses.
GEDC1046.jpg

I'd be interested in selling these, as I only wanted a couple of them.
GEDC1047.jpg

I'd also be interested in selling the non-country 8-tracks in here.
GEDC1048.jpg

You aren't keeping the Village People?! :p:rofl:

I'm bettin' that's the most valuable tape in the whole bunch -- in monetary terms, if no other.

An original 8-track of the Village People's "Macho Man"? Now there's a real treasure for you. Such shameless campiness is a thing of beauty, in its way. That tape would be just the thing to have stickin' out of the 8-track player in one's AMC Gremlin. It just wouldn't be complete without it.

I'm bettin' that's the most valuable tape in the whole bunch -- in monetary terms, if no other.

An original 8-track of the Village People's "Macho Man"? Now there's a real treasure for you. Such shameless campiness is a thing of beauty, in its way. That tape would be just the thing to have stickin' out of the 8-track player in one's AMC Gremlin. It just wouldn't be complete without it.

Not Donna Summer? :p
You asked for it:
[video=youtube_share;AO43p2Wqc08]http://youtu.be/AO43p2Wqc08[/video]:eeek:

No, no, no. I think I have a couple Village People 8-Tracks in my 8-Track trove that I have no interest in, either. One may even be in the original Cellophane.

You aren't keeping the Village People?! :p:rofl:

The antique shop here in town uses them for wrapping up purchases. We had one in an old 1800's downtown building we had, that had been a pharmacy from 1865, until we bought it, so I'm assuming it would be used for the same thing.

The rest of my finds over the weekend.

GEDC1045.jpg

Pardon me... but what is that? (The thing in the back, not the barometer)

I would imagine that it was probably used for this purpose, too.

I think it's a dispenser for butcher paper. AtomicEraTom?

Not thrift items, these actually came from our very own 'Skeet' McD. I thought this would be a good place to display them, though.

GEDC1013.jpg

GEDC1016.jpg

GEDC1015.jpg

P.S. I just bought a very nice GE 10 Megapixel camera, after my old GE 7 Megapixel, that I bought back when I was selling electronics finally went ka-put. Long story short, fancy new camera or not, I still can't take a decent photo to save my life.

Argee

One of the Regulars
Got this headboard and a matching footboard at a flea market. It's a little beat up around the edges, but with a little TLC it cleaned up quite nicely. There's still some more cosmetic work I could do to it. It didn't come with rails, but I use a extra long mattress, so I couldn't have used them anyway. I made a couple adapters to connect it to my generic metal bed frame.

headboard2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy