Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

Giftmacher

One Too Many
Quite common Zeiss-Ikon Babybox camera from 1931
DSCN2263.jpg

DNO

One Too Many
DNO - that's a beautiful vase - a gorgeous colour!

I got these two mirrors in Oxfam yesterday - they have opened a new branch that deals with vintage furniture - can't wait to go back again and see what they have:

Why thank you Miss...and I love that sunburst mirror that is reflected by your new mirror in the second photo...very nice.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Rue - thank you! I was thinking that maybe the second mirror was from around that timeframe too - the wooden frame looks quite old but it was the chain at the back that had me thinking....

DNO - thank you! Our sunburst mirror is one of my favourites too - sadly it's not vintage (it's Laura Ashley) but some day maybe it just might be (although it's sooooooo delicate it might not last that long!);).

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I have a mirror like the second one and I would say it's from the late 1800s or the early 1900s.

Both of them are beautiful :)

I agree, lovely finds Miss G. I would say the second mirror is indeed Edwardian. The first forties or fifties. I love the glass on the second one. It amazes me you can pick up these lovely quality looking glasses with nice bevelled edges so cheaply. Believe me i went to a glaziers to have some glass replaced once in a mirror and nearly fainted.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
I agree, lovely finds Miss G. I would say the second mirror is indeed Edwardian. The first forties or fifties. I love the glass on the second one. It amazes me you can pick up these lovely quality looking glasses with nice bevelled edges so cheaply. Believe me i went to a glaziers to have some glass replaced once in a mirror and nearly fainted.

Thank you Miss Sofia! I had no idea that replacing a mirror would be so expensive - I thought it would be similar to the price of regular glass - yikes I better be careful with the mirrors now! It is amazing that these mirrors are still knocking around and in very lovely condition too - the second mirror has two small black spots but if it's as old as we think it is, well two dots is pretty good going!

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Actually it was bevelled glass i was after, but still, it wasn't a huge mirror!

I don't mind a few dark spots on an old mirror myself - the patina of age, nothing wrong with that!

I personally love old mirrors, some of the deco ones, like your second one, i call them deco lazily, are really affrdable as you said. I particularly like the ones with coloured or etched glass, or little designs round the frames. I have seen ones with ships, bows, flowers, you name it over the years. i recently saw a photo in one of these interior magazines where a lady had covered one wall in her sitting room with them, it really looked lovely.

We quite often have customers who make comments, sometimes not very polite about patina on certain items, i always very politely tell them, that if they were the same age as the item, they would probably have a few nicks and scratches too.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
We quite often have customers who make comments, sometimes not very polite about patina on certain items, i always very politely tell them, that if they were the same age as the item, they would probably have a few nicks and scratches too.

I laughed when I read that! You are so right!!!!!!!! I think it's nice for old things to have a little wear and tear - it adds to the charm of the piece.

And that's a great idea that you saw in the magazine - a girl I know did something similar in her hallway and it looked so good!

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Yesterday I purchased a pair of shoes from my local op-shop. Dark brown slip-on shoes. Leather. They only cost me $7 and they fit perfectly.

The soles of the shoes have the words "Vero Cuoio" on them, and the size (41). According to a google-search, "Vero Cuoio" is Italian for "Real Leather".

Last edited:
Picked up this curio cabinet at St. Vinnie's for ten bucks today. I was looking at it and one of the employees came by and put a 10 dollar tag (was 15) on it, while I was looking at it. Figured it was fate.

2011-12-10220653.jpg

HodgePodge

One of the Regulars
Picked up this curio cabinet at St. Vinnie's for ten bucks today. I was looking at it and one of the employees came by and put a 10 dollar tag (was 15) on it, while I was looking at it. Figured it was fate.

2011-12-10220653.jpg
Ten bucks!? Man, that's a steal, I'd say.
Thrift stores 'round here usually try to sell things in five times worse shape than that for five times more.

The St. Vinnie's in town practically gives some stuff away, and other stuff has furniture store prices on it. I haven't figured it out. Maybe if it looks old, they figure nobody wants it.

Ten bucks!? Man, that's a steal, I'd say.
Thrift stores 'round here usually try to sell things in five times worse shape than that for five times more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran