Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

DNO

One Too Many
What finds! I'm a phone collector, myself, and there's some drool-worthy stuff there!

Thanks Tom. Just to drive you crazy, here's a couple of screen grabs I took from the sale website.

Screenshot2013-02-17at85341AM_zps3a434727.png

Screenshot2013-02-17at85025AM_zps9d6333f2.png

That represents about half of the phones. There were also clocks galore. Like I said, I'm not a phone collector but this could well turn me into one! Exciting sale. The sale was put on by a local small firm run by a very nice woman who always prices things very reasonably. Ah...the thrill of the hunt. (At least I can stop searching for a 302 phone!)

Thanks Tom. Just to drive you crazy, here's a couple of screen grabs I took from the sale website.

That represents about half of the phones. There were also clocks galore. Like I said, I'm not a phone collector but this could well turn me into one! Exciting sale. The sale was put on by a local small firm run by a very nice woman who always prices things very reasonably. Ah...the thrill of the hunt. (At least I can stop searching for a 302 phone!)

Clocks?! Now you have my interest. I love old clocks. Too bad I am waaaaayy far away from you there. :p

Man alive! Wish I was there! I collect clocks, too lol

RetroToday

A-List Customer
Oh...almost forgot...and I ran into another FL member at the sale. He beat me (just barely) to a nicer AE34 with an earlier handset (pity that). Didn't quite get his moniker, but he seemed like a nice fellow. It's the first time I've run into a FL mate.

So cool! That was me DNO!

I told you my moniker on the Lounge, but I also said that I want to change it to something better, so that probably threw you off.
I haven't been active on the Fedora Lounge very much lately, seem to be lurking more than posting.

It was great to run into a Fedora Lounger here in Toronto, and it's the first time for me too. You also seem like a very nice fellow and your wife seems like a friendly person too. I wish we could have chatted a little more while we were there, but it was a bit of a rush checking out all those phones. I live about 10 minutes from where that sale was held, so apparently I live not very far from you as well.

Here's what I picked up:

8490630620_455bfb9c33_c.jpg

All four of the telephones.

8489507823_bfc24ef596.jpg

1920s Northern Electric candlestick telephone.

8489525513_1bb18db64e.jpg

1930s Northern Electric model 202.

8489520975_91571efb0e.jpg

1934 Automatic Electric model AE34.

8489513705_6ea0e83f80.jpg

c1939? Northern Electric model 302.

All but the candlestick phone are in working condition. I need a ringer box and adaptor for that one.
Whoever owned these phones adapted them very well to today's telephone jack system, they sound incredible.

Hope to see you in my vintage buying travels in the future. ;)

Last edited:

DNO

One Too Many
It was a pleasure to meet you, RT. Seems we're both in the same general area of the city so I suspect we'll encounter each other again. I look forward to it. (I'll just have to be faster on my feet next time...that really is a sweet AE34!)

I'd certainly agree that the gentleman who had these phones went to great pains to make them work. Three of my phones (the two 302's and the 202) work great and even the AE34 rings beautifully and can receive incoming calls. It seems to have been a building or hotel phone. Although the dial works fine, it seems unwilling to accept more than 4 numbers before the phone starts ringing. It could probably be altered, but I'm not a phone guy. I'm happy to receive calls on it!

Anyway, a pleasure to meet you RT.

RetroToday

A-List Customer
Nice floor lamp thee too. :p

I wanted to buy the floor lamp too, but then decided to funnel my cash towards the phones. It was in good working shape as well, except the shade was nowhere to be seen.

Don't feel too bad about missing the clocks AtomicEraTom, they weren't as good as they appeared online. A lot of knock-offs made to look old, but obviously cheaply built, probably most were from the 1980s.

I wanted to buy the floor lamp too, but then decided to funnel my cash towards the phones. It was in good working shape as well, except the shade was nowhere to be seen.

Don't feel too bad about missing the clocks AtomicEraTom, they weren't as good as they appeared online. A lot of knock-offs made to look old, but obviously cheaply built, probably most were from the 1980s.

You almost never find them with shades here. You are even better off there because the center difuser bowl is there. Those get broken and never replaced.

Mr. Garrulus

One of the Regulars
Got two new atlas books today.

First one from 1945 soon after the war ended but the borders still of those before the Second World War.
Roths_zpseef4b532.jpg

The second one is more interesting "Andrees Allgemeiner Handatlas" third edition from 1893. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrees_Allgemeiner_Handatlas. It is a heavy one, it weights about 5kg/11pounds.
Those who are interested can google the name of the atlas and find many pictures from inside the books as the detailing of the maps are beautiful. I will not link to picture because I have more to show.

Andeers_zps094e0cb4.jpg

But what made the thing more interesting was not the bad condition (the cover is loose) but the things I found between the pages. I found more maps which are from early 1900's before the First World War (total amount 21 different maps, they're from another Swedish atlas), some prints and pictures, an ad (from 1971, it has pictures and names of flora on the other side), a German article of the Holy Night, a postcard from Germany stamped 1956, a map of Helsinki City (1955) and a map of Austria (1958) and pictures of graduate students (?) from 1880.

AndeersfoundIII_zps44df4f98.jpg

Andeersfound_zps1dbe8f4d.jpg

AndeersfoundII_zpsb75c05dd.jpg

But what made the thing more interesting was not the bad condition (the cover is loose) but the things I found between the pages. I found more maps which are from early 1900's before the First World War (total amount 21 different maps, they're from another Swedish atlas), some prints and pictures, an ad (from 1971, it has pictures and names of flora on the other side), a German article of the Holy Night, a postcard from Germany stamped 1956, a map of Helsinki City (1955) and a map of Austria (1958) and pictures of graduate students (?) from 1880.

AndeersfoundIII_zps44df4f98.jpg

Andeersfound_zps1dbe8f4d.jpg

AndeersfoundII_zpsb75c05dd.jpg

People back in the day would use a heavy old book like that to store other paperwork and even money to keep them flat and away from damage.
I have found tons of things in old books and have used old books for tons of things. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart