Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Towncraft DeLuxe
DSC08775.jpg

That's pretty "far out" for Towncraft!

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Looks like you've got a few '30s examples there.
Yes. I got these from Etsy. There are not many vintage ties in germany and buying tie lots ist easier for the shipping from USA.

Would you do me a favour and help me to date the slimmer ties?

2010septemberkrawatten0.jpg

The one on the far right is 30s or (40s the latest) I think. But what about the other ones? The have the same lenght but they are slimmer and have lining on the tip.[huh]

They still look very different from modern ties and make the small tie knots I love so much. I really wanted to keep the dark green one because T think the colour is rather rare on ties.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Yes. I got these from Etsy. There are not many vintage ties in germany and buying tie lots ist easier for the shipping from USA.

Would you do me a favour and help me to date the slimmer ties?

2010septemberkrawatten0.jpg

The one on the far right is 30s or (40s the latest) I think. But what about the other ones? The have the same lenght but they are slimmer and have lining on the tip.[huh]

They still look very different from modern ties and make the small tie knots I love so much. I really wanted to keep the dark green one because T think the colour is rather rare on ties.

Mein herr, the one on the far right does appear to be '30s (judging by the brocade, fold, and lack of lining). The others, based on width (I went back to your original photo), lining, and the one label, seem to be late '50s. Feraud, James Powers, Quigley Brown, and others, what say ye?

Mein herr, the one on the far right does appear to be '30s (judging by the brocade, fold, and lack of lining). The others, based on width (I went back to your original photo), lining, and the one label, seem to be late '50s. Feraud, James Powers, Quigley Brown, and others, what say ye?

I concur with the 30s brocade tie. The other two could well dip into the 60s though. They are even thinner than the 30s tie and I have had my run ins with Mr. John. The guy made hats for women in the day that would fit well with Superfly. ;):p Years ago we had some hilarious threads on such hats.
I had no idea he made ties as well. The tie looks much better than the hats. :D

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Since my home computer is on the fritz, I can't scan anything, but let me describe yesterday's necktie adventure...

Went to one of the shabbiest Goodwill's in the city (over in Lincoln Heights), and headed over to the tie bins. Usually, the finds there are next to nil, but while going through the first bunch, I found a pristine Haband model, Bold Look era. Knowing that where's there's one there's likely another, I kept my eyes open for the next Haband, and found it. Then, to my pleasant surprise, I found a California "hand-painted" tie, and then another hand-painteds, and then another Haband, until...Final count, five pristine Habands and four hand-painted, at 75 cents each. For the record, these are the hand-painted: Richman Brothers, acetate, rayon, and nylon, with $1.50 price tag; Windsor of California (acetate?); another Windsor, silk; and (take note, James Powers) an all silk Hollyvogue...Photos hopefully to come in the near future.

Since my home computer is on the fritz, I can't scan anything, but let me describe yesterday's necktie adventure...

Went to one of the shabbiest Goodwill's in the city (over in Lincoln Heights), and headed over to the tie bins. Usually, the finds there are next to nil, but while going through the first bunch, I found a pristine Haband model, Bold Look era. Knowing that where's there's one there's likely another, I kept my eyes open for the next Haband, and found it. Then, to my pleasant surprise, I found a California "hand-painted" tie, and then another hand-painteds, and then another Haband, until...Final count, five pristine Habands and four hand-painted, at 75 cents each. For the record, these are the hand-painted: Richman Brothers, acetate, rayon, and nylon, with $1.50 price tag; Windsor of California (acetate?); another Windsor, silk; and (take note, James Powers) an all silk Hollyvogue...Photos hopefully to come in the near future.

You are one lucky guy. :eusa_clap There is nothing like that to be found here. :eusa_doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic