Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Ties from Christmas.

Favorite of the bunch is on the right:
041-2.jpg

042-1.jpg

Nothing to dislike here. Good score for a present there. :eusa_clap

Kahuna

One of the Regulars
Pardon me for going slightly off topic and not showing an actual tie here but I love this hand-painted display signage I found in a thrift store a couple years ago. You may have seen this before a few pages back in the context of my tie collection but I thought it deserved its own post. When I first saw it I thought it was some sort of vintage look reproduction but, upon closer viewing & seeing the thickness of the paint in the brushstrokes, realized it was an actual display sign from a department store. What amazes me is the time and talent that went into display back then. I spent about 20 years of my life in the display business and these days most signage is computer generated and comes from corporate headquarters. I guess this is another example of a lost profession that has gone by the wayside. I was too lazy to take this out from behind its glass and had to do a little photoshopping to get rid of reflections so pardon the sloppy job.
ties003Quicke-mailview.jpg

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Tie prices are indeed very interesting through the 30s. Quality silk became incredibly cheap around the late 20s, and was still very cheap by the time the article I quoted was written - I have a PDF would you like a copy? - allowing very low end makers based in Allen Street in Manhattan sweatshops to offer very cheap ties with quality silk and what was known as "silk tipping", where the tie was only lined in the tips, rather than through the whole tie.
bk

Yes, if you could send a PDF 'round my way, I would appreciate it, Baron. I have seen ads for those silk-tipped neckties (not sure if I have any).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats