Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Well, they arrived today, and 28/31 are 1920s or 30s ties. They vary wildly in quality - one with an NRA tag and $7.95 price tag is quite high end, one moire silk green number from the late 20s. The rest, probably 50 cent or $1 ties, to be honest. Very cheap, but quite cheerful mostly. They'll all be wearable after a serious press and airing ( they've all taken on a bad musty smoke smell in the plastic bag).

For $7.99 i'm not complaining too much …

A bunch of 30s ties? Nice find there as well.

Well, they arrived today, and 28/31 are 1920s or 30s ties. They vary wildly in quality - one with an NRA tag and $7.95 price tag is quite high end, one moire silk green number from the late 20s. The rest, probably 50 cent or $1 ties, to be honest. Very cheap, but quite cheerful mostly. They'll all be wearable after a serious press and airing ( they've all taken on a bad musty smoke smell in the plastic bag).

For $7.99 i'm not complaining too much …

I don't think I would complain too much either. :D Good finds. :eusa_clap

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Well, they arrived today, and 28/31 are 1920s or 30s ties. They vary wildly in quality - one with an NRA tag and $7.95 price tag is quite high end, one moire silk green number from the late 20s.

Baron, are you saying that the one with the NRA tag has an original $7.95 price tag, or one that was placed on it later? I would presume the latter. At any rate, please post them all when properly treated.

The $7.95 tag is glued to the back of the NRA tag, and is original to that era. It's the original store "Johnnie Walker's" (I know, i thought it funny, too) price tag. It is quite faded, but i'm pretty sure it says $7.95

Baron, are you saying that the one with the NRA tag has an original $7.95 price tag, or one that was placed on it later? I would presume the latter. At any rate, please post them all when properly treated.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
The $7.95 tag is glued to the back of the NRA tag, and is original to that era. It's the original store "Johnnie Walker's" (I know, i thought it funny, too) price tag. It is quite faded, but i'm pretty sure it says $7.95

$7.95 in the early '30s would be equivalent to about $100 now. Ties from that time-period, even silk ones, wouldn't normally be more than $2.00, so I doubt that's the original selling-price.

I don't know where you get your information, but this from Apparel Arts in 1932. From an article entitled "Neckwear Blues", charting the recent history of men's silk neckwear and a made up company called "Wynken, Blynken, and Nod":

"However, win lose or draw, everything is still on the upgrade with wynken, blynken, and those around them. They pay their royalties, they make neckwear to sell at $2.00, $3.00, even $5.00, and their volume grows to double, triple and quadruple its 1919 high. …

Thus 1928, when $10.00 ties came into the picture. Thus 1929."

The article talks about the crash in prices for raw silk, then. But they have a table that shows prices of the top range ties making "$2.00 up" in 1929, and the drop to 1932 (with a bit of ongoing recovery) starting at "$1.50 up". We know for sure that there were $10.00, and probably more expensive, ties in 1929 from the original source quoted above. I don't think it's outside the realms of reality that $7.50 and up ties existed in '33-'36, particularly towards the end of that range, from which this tie originates (no idea what the exact date is, obviously).

Remember, not everyone was poor in the NRA era. There was still available the extremely high end items.

Finally: I've never seen a label so obviously original to a garment. My reading of the label is potentially suspect, as it is quite faded. Once it's out of the deep freeze i'll take closer looks at it and some photographs.

bk

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
^^Interesting article excerpts, Baron. The writer does show that silk ties could command up to $10 before the Great Depression, and that an imaginary company theoritically might have sold them for $5.00 in 1932. Yet since the article was written in 1932, it can't verify that silk ties were going for up to $7.50 between 1933-35 (when the NRA existed). Might they have? Yes, it is possible, and that's why I said in my original post that normally they didn't go past $2.00 at that time. As to your inquiry, I base my price information on the actual ads from the various time periods. I'm looking at two right now: one from 1938 advertises silk ties for 95 cents; another from 1939 has them for 98 cents. (Low-end examples from the end of the decade? Admittedly so, but I have yet to find one from the early '30s featuring silk ties for $7.50.) You are right in stating, though, that not everyone was poor during that time; there were high-end neckties available by manufacturers like Oviatt and Sulka (products which may not have been advertised in the general press). So if your eyes serve you right, you might then be in the possession of such a high-end product. Please post a photo when able. Cheers.

Tie prices are indeed very interesting through the 30s. Quality silk became incredibly cheap around the late 20s, and was still very cheap by the time the article I quoted was written - I have a PDF would you like a copy? - allowing very low end makers based in Allen Street in Manhattan sweatshops to offer very cheap ties with quality silk and what was known as "silk tipping", where the tie was only lined in the tips, rather than through the whole tie. Incidentally the majority of the ties in this lot (I just pressed 28 of them, that's all they needed to make them wearable) are of very very very low quality. Very cheap construction, unlined, real pieces of crap. Some nice patterns though; one has a baseball bat and ball motif. Quite nice.

I've had the NRA tie out of deep freeze (a bag in the garden :p:eusa_clap) and i am convinced the label says $7.95. Obviously the faded 7 could have been a 3 or a 2 or a 9, but the descender has nothing coming off it, discounting 2 and 3 and I don't see a loop for a 9 and the top right is angled, leading my conviction that it's a 7. This tie is fully lined, and is made of fantastic quality satin silk. Really a very very high end silk.

bk

Last edited:

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Ties from Christmas.

Favorite of the bunch is on the right:
041-2.jpg

042-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member