Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I'm assuming that flashy British ties were unusual though? From what I've seen it appears that stripes or subtle geometric patterns were the norm over here whilst the Americans were a lot more creative with their choice of patterns and colours.

Always being very careful to accept that we're talking about what has survived, and not what was available, my general impression is the same as yours: that British necktie design/style/pattern was rather more reserved than that of American manufacturers.

Having said that, the tie my grandfather wears in pictures in the early 1950s, after demobbing, is a strikingly wild design. I only have b&w pictures but it looks very like the woven "brocade" designs of many 1930s American ties. It was almost certainly the only tie he owned, having no need for them in his day-to-day life, so it was probably the tie he was given on demobbing.

bk

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Pineapples!

A Beau Brummell purchased at the 'New Utica' in Des Moines in the late 1940s...

pineapple100.jpg
[/IMG]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR