Show us your TIES

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Veronica Parra, Sep 22, 2005.

1. GoldenEraFan

GoldenEraFan One Too Many

Just received this '30s silk hand painted tie. Not in the best shape but got it for a bargain. It features a loop for the tail, which is pretty rare as I have not seen it on any ties made before the '70s. Upon looking up the patent number, it showed the patent for the loop that is put near the collar of jackets for hanging up, with a patent date of 1935. I guess they thought it would also be useful on ties.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  2. ^^I have one in almost the exact colors, but without the loop. Who is the maker, Sonata?

3. He bought the tie from me for over $100 I think, but I'd have to check my records to make sure.

If you ever decide to sell your World's Fair tie, I will be the first in line to purchase it (though not for $400).

4. GoldenEraFan

GoldenEraFan One Too Many

Yep, it's a Sonata tie!

5. Dinerman

Dinerman Super Moderator Bartender

I have a similar one as well. Interesting patterns.
    [​IMG]

6. Gene

Gene Practically Family

7. Quigley Brown

Quigley Brown Call Me a Cab

I recognize a couple of those from 'Fit To Be Tied.' Mayber the seller is one of the dudes involved with that book.

8. Gene

Gene Practically Family

Wondering that myself, the "E" monogrammed tie stuck out to me like a sore thumb. I bought some ties from him when he first started auctioning them off, got a couple lots for under $20...either he wised up or he's just now bringing out the big guns!

9. Could be. Don't think it's Ron Spark, though.

10. I think that you'd have some stiff competition from Rob (Forgotten Man)!

11. I don't think so, either. He was earlier selling his, but in lots.

12. jonas8

jonas8 New in Town

Grandfather's Wedding Tie, 1931.

This is the tie my grandfather wore on his wedding day in 1931. That night, he loosened the knot and placed it in a drawer, and supposedly never wore it again. My grandmother discovered it after his death, and gave it to my mom, who then placed it into a frame. I discovered it when I was a kid and decided I wanted to wear it on my own wedding day. Unfortunately, time has not been kind to it and it's a bit tattered.

Does anybody recognize this pattern? I'm really hoping I can find one very similar to wear, as my wedding day is coming up next year. If anyone owns one or has seen one like it, please let me know!

Thanks!!!

[​IMG]

13. Dan'l

Dan'l Practically Family

Can we show bow ties here? I'm going to give it a go.

Here are two recent finds, each one only cost a few dollars.
    The pattern on this first one reminds me of poinsettias. Material feels like silk.
    [​IMG]

Is this one from the 70's? I ask because of the larger size. It's all wool and was itchy the first time I wore it (I had just shaved with a new safety razor).
    [​IMG]

14. Wow, that's quite a find. Any labels on it?

15. Gene

Gene Practically Family

Probably from one of us crazy people who'd pay that much for a tie! :)