Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I bought a solid black wool vintage '50s or '60s U.S. Navy tie.

$T2eC16J,!zoE9s5nd0wDBQV9iC(Nig~~60_57.JPG

It's 3" wide, and 50" long. Here is the label:

woolairForce3.jpg

I could see wearing this with my G-1 or Raiders leather jackets, too.

Last edited:

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I bought a solid black wool vintage '50s or '60s U.S. Navy tie.

$T2eC16J,!zoE9s5nd0wDBQV9iC(Nig~~60_57.JPG

It's 3" wide, and 50" long. Here is the label:

I could see wearing this with my G-1 or Raiders leather jackets, too.

I have one like that, but marked US Army.

Here's a late-50s hand-painted Regal.

blueregal.jpg
[/IMG]

That's a beaut. Hand-painted thin ties are rare, but they usually are quite spiffy.

Paul Roerich

"A List" Customer
The best-looking vintage Deco tie I've ever seen, hands-down.

The best-looking vintage '40s Van Heusen "Van Cruise" tie I've ever seen, hands-down.

Two in one!

img006_zps189a9603.jpg

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Modern ties are being made too long. Are they all just made for Windsor or large knots now, is that the fashion, or do low-rise pants have more to do with it? Actually, I've read on some website that Italian ties are generally a little longer too, because it is a fashion over there to have it go down below the pants more. I don't like that look, myself.

Annixter

Practically Family
Better yet, learn how to wash them yourself; it really isn't difficult.

You've got that correct! I'd never trust a vintage to a dry cleaner. My mother found me three vintage ties on her antiquing rounds in some remote part of the country, had them dry cleaned, and shipped them to me as a surprise. She told me that her dry cleaner says he has been around long enough to know about laundering vintage ties. But their color still looked a little dull to me, so I gave them a nice bath of my own, and boy was that water all sorts of cigarette smoke nasty. They came out looking much more brilliant. With modern US regulations on dry cleaning chemicals, I think they probably don't change them until they are past dirty to where they soil fabrics more than they clean.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou