Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

phebus

One of the Regulars
The other, not sure who made it, not even sure if it's old.
it's 58" long, 4" wide. I thought it was 70's, but there is no liner, no keeper, and it's not polyester.

Here it is:

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Picked up two ties today.
The first, 50's-60's skinny tie? 52.5" long, 2.25" wide - Wembley:

It looks much better in real life than these cell phone pictures.

Nice minimalist Wembley, c. late-'50s/early-'60s. One of my favorite makers (and they're still around).

The other, not sure who made it, not even sure if it's old.
it's 58" long, 4" wide. I thought it was 70's, but there is no liner, no keeper, and it's not polyester.

Here it is:

Judging by those dimensions, and by the fabric label, it might be from the tail end of the Bold Look Era (about 1952).

By the way, can I iron that acetate/rayon tie?

Yes, you can, but at a low temperature. Try not to flatten the edges, though.

An early Dutch one. This seems like a teens/20s tie, when they had a lot of different varieties to overcome the tie ripping issue with stiff starch collars. This one has a button on shank to slot through the collar closure buttonhole.

teensclaudyseahorsestie1.jpg

teensclaudyseahorsestie2.jpg

teensclaudyseahorsestie3.jpg

teensclaudyseahorsestie4.jpg

BR Gordon

One Too Many
I've always been rabid against the use of clip on ties, but this one has it's advantages. Fold down stiff collars are such a pain that I just might use one of these, If I could find one in good condition. Better yet would be to find someone who could make new ties.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Shame it's not a self tie version Baron, I really like the cloth!
Here's a couple I bought the other day for a decent price of the bay, they arrived in double quick time, both 'woolies';
33e7mrt.jpg
1zt76g.jpg

The Munrospun made expressly for 'Sutterby & Gay' Spalding Lincolnshire, I think it may have been re ironed incorrectly as the tip is 4 1/4" wide and there are feint lines which would if correct bring it in to 3 1/2" it is 49" long
3005zs3.jpg

2z7pmxz.jpg

re-enforcing stitching on tying area
vifx4m.jpg

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Thanks! A Lounger posted about them, actually, so that's how I found them (I don't recall which Lounger, alas, so I can't give proper credit.)

CONELRAD

One of the Regulars
I figure I might as well post my tie collection, I've thought about doing it from time to time, but I never felt like taking all my ties down from the rack to photograph them.

Brown ties, first is a 1940s-50s Dreyfuss & Son from Dallas; second is a 1930s Hoag's Men's Wear "Pebble Beach" with NRA tag:
P3CXBBhl.jpg

Red ties, a 1950s (I suppose) Haband acetate and a hand painted Brent:
liFP3QCl.jpg

Blue ties, 1940s no label, but one of my favorites; next is a 1940s Linoe "Made in California":
0IsDPaUl.jpg

"Oddball" colors, 1940s Van Heusen "Van Cruise", another of my favorites, and 1940s "Modern Abstract", this one has a few nicks on the edge, but I think it's still perfectly wearable:
RFHSJl5l.jpg

Green tie, 1940s Weinstock, Lubin & Co. "Hollyvogue" All Silk:
s6hadrxl.jpg

That's not all of my ties, I've got modern ones and one other vintage one that's not worth showing off. They're not perfect, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't proud of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR