Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

The Good

Call Me a Cab
What do you make of this navy knit tie? It's by Briar, I'm assuming it was made in England, and I'm not sure how to date it. It is 3" by 54". I own a 3.5" by 54" yellow Briar knit as well, but I think made in California. I'm using eBay images, but I bought it.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Vintage-Mens-Tie-Pride-of-England-100-Wool-Navy-Blue-Vintage-Clothing-Mens-Tie-/00/s/MTYwMFgxMjAw/$T2eC16hHJHoE9n3KhWcdBRW4YRYiEQ~~60_57.JPG

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Vintage-Mens-Tie-Pride-of-England-100-Wool-Navy-Blue-Vintage-Clothing-Mens-Tie-/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/$T2eC16JHJHwE9n8igvMfBRW4YiMKRQ~~60_57.JPG?rt=nc

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Vintage-Mens-Tie-Pride-of-England-100-Wool-Navy-Blue-Vintage-Clothing-Mens-Tie-/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/bCoAAMXQlUNRW4Yo/$T2eC16FHJG!E9nm3pwfEBRW4YoPI4Q~~60_57.JPG?rt=nc

Hmm, for some reason the links aren't working.

Last edited:
Yes and the tie of the day is:

$(KGrHqF,!pEFEWCi+K,RBRJsJQMrEg~~60_57.JPG

$T2eC16R,!zUE9s38+HL3BQ256FCPkQ~~60_57.JPG

Hyena Stomp

One of the Regulars
That tie with the zebras is rad!! I like how their manes are flowing upwards into the air - they look like stallions (last I checked, zebras' manes aren't nearly as long or flowing.) Pretty interesting.

JonnyO

A-List Customer
Picked these two up at the local vintage shop yesterday.

Backside.

The tag on the orange and brown.

And one of the main reasons I bought the red, white, and blue tie besides the overall awesome look of it.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Here's a puzzler, got this yesterday it's 52" long and tip is 3", there's no label on it at all, obviously it's knitted but when? not sure what it's made of either as it's definately not wool as it doesn't feel or smell right and I am pretty sure it's not Rayon/polyester as again it doesn't feel right nor does it go shiney when ironed, could it be silk as it does feel like it, were knitted ties done in silk?
333cqix.jpg

iqvbxh.jpg
42t78.jpg

It has a strengthener sewn in the neckband and the small end is straight across with the large end being pointed, first photo is nearest to colour as the lighter stripe is a variated golden colour with navy and what I can only describe as 'claret' bands.

TSP13

Familiar Face
I would say it could be 1920's due to the neckband... does it have resilient construction? I have known of many knit ties made of silk. I think Darcy offers them if I am correct.

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Brilliant. I never manage to find pointed end knitted ties. I owned one years ago but it eventually fell to pieces. Someone once mentioned that the pointed end on knitted ties was a popular style for Italian manufacturers. But i have no evidence for this.

The length (52 inches) seems to suggest it is relatively modern and the strengthening strip in the neckband (which was a common feature of early ties) is something that is still done on modern silk knitted ties.

I would guess it would be silk.

Whether old or modern, silk or rayon, it's a very nice tie.

Yes, unfortunately Gino's is closed.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!:eeek: :eusa_doh: I know Gino's son sold it a few years ago after operating it for probably 25 years after his father's death but I figured the new owners would keep it going.:eusa_doh:
The basement bar area was classic. :p
Oh and yesterday I went to Alameda Point and found a guy with a tpile of ties for sale. I would have bought one if they weren't $10---no matter which one. By the time I got there it was picked over but there was this one knot planned tie that I should have violated the Widebrim Law($3):p and bought because it was interesting with an interesting knot pattern. Oh well, maybe next time. :eusa_doh: I should have at least taken a picture of it I suppose. :eusa_doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot